Options

Sir David Beckham...are you kidding?!

MoJo-GirlMoJo-Girl Posts: 979
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a294268/beckham-tipped-for-new-year-knighthood.html

I know he's a good football player and has done a lot of charity work - but does he deserve to be knighted?!

Maybe in 40 years time...

Comments

• Options
    polkadottydresspolkadottydress Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoJo-Girl wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a294268/beckham-tipped-for-new-year-knighthood.html

I know he's a good football player and has done a lot of charity work - but does he deserve to be knighted?!

I wouldn't say he deserves one yet :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With all the trophies he won as an England player and participation in a winning world cup bid, he's clearly only ever known success. Give him and Cowell knighthoods, they've both done so very much for this nation.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it doesn't happen, but these honours became silly and lost prestige a number of years ago, with all these pop singers and rockers picking up knighthoods.

It's only a matter of time before it happens to Becks. I only hope they have the decency to at least wait a few more years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the trophies he won as an England player and participation in a winning world cup bid, he's clearly only ever known success. Give him and Cowell knighthoods, they've both done so very much for this nation.

At 36 years old?!

At this rate, he'll be a Lord by the time he's 40!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At 36 years old?!

At this rate, he'll be a Lord by the time he's 40!!

Perhaps you'd understand me better if I pointed out that he's never won anything with the England team, not even a world cup bid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you'd understand me better if I pointed out that he's never won anything with the England team, not even a world cup bid.

Ahhhhh...I understand you now!!

Sarcasm doesn't always jump out at me! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps someone else should point out how little to do with the bid he actually was?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ben_122 wrote: »
    Perhaps someone else should point out how little to do with the bid he actually was?

It seems you think his involvement with the bid is matched only by his involvement in collecting winner's medals in the past 6 years.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's got a shed load of money for doing very little. Why does he need a knighthood:confused:
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    I hope it doesn't happen, but these honours became silly and lost prestige a number of years ago, with all these pop singers and rockers picking up knighthoods.

It's only a matter of time before it happens to Becks. I only hope they have the decency to at least wait a few more years.

I agree, they lost all prestige when they handed them out to Wogan, Parky, and David Jason.

What did upset me was the way they snubbed the great Richard Todd. Not only was he a war hero, he had been a stage and film actor for 60 years.
    I was sure that he would be Honoured when he reached 90, but nothing!
    For Beckham and Cowell to be Honoured would show what a total farce the whole thing has become. :mad:
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet, but he will be knighted at some point and will deserve it.

David Beckham is football royalty. One of the best players of his generation, a member of one of the most successful teams of all time, and a fantastic ambassador for football and this country.

You will get fools who say he can't speak very well but that is ignorant rubbish. Also, people say he just kicks 'a bag of air around for a living'. Again, complete tosh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Come off it, a knighthood???

Mind you, Paul Collingwood got an MBE (or OBE) for being a water-carrier in the Ashes a few years ago so it shows you how pointless these awards are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Take that tounge out of your cheek NOW BOY!

:D
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come off it, a knighthood???

Mind you, Paul Collingwood got an MBE (or OBE) for being a water-carrier in the Ashes a few years ago so it shows you how pointless these awards are.
    That was a sticky situation though because everyone in the team was given an MBE and it would have appeared unfair to have singled Paul Collingwood out. Really if they were going to give everyone else in the eleven one they had to give him one too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, they lost all prestige when they handed them out to Wogan, Parky, and David Jason.

What did upset me was the way they snubbed the great Richard Todd. Not only was he a war hero, he had been a stage and film actor for 60 years.
    I was sure that he would be Honoured when he reached 90, but nothing!
    For Beckham and Cowell to be Honoured would show what a total farce the whole thing has become. :mad:

I totally agree with DJ becoming a sir. He has done so much for the television/entertainment world. Plus, he's been in showbiz for about 50 years. More than Beckham has been on this earth.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She will love it though, Lady Beckham what a title to have from being just plain posh.
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leewich wrote: »
    Not yet, but he will be knighted at some point and will deserve it.

David Beckham is football royalty. One of the best players of his generation, a member of one of the most successful teams of all time, and a fantastic ambassador for football and this country.

You will get fools who say he can't speak very well but that is ignorant rubbish. Also, people say he just kicks 'a bag of air around for a living'. Again, complete tosh.

Beckham was a great player but not even close to the best of his generation, he's not even the best English player of his generation. And maybe if he'd stayed out of the limelight he would still be part of one of the most successful teams of all time like some of his peers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly Holmes was made a dame at age 35. I would say they have both contributed a lot to Sport. You could argue Beckham even more on a global scale.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,201
    Forum Member
    I totally agree with DJ becoming a sir. He has done so much for the television/entertainment world. Plus, he's been in showbiz for about 50 years. More than Beckham has been on this earth.

Ronnie Barker was around even longer, and far more deserving, yet he never got it.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ronnie Barker was around even longer, and far more deserving, yet he never got it.:(

I agree. RB should have been given a knighthood.

However, some people (French & Saunders I believe) have been offered Dame-hoods and turned it down. For all we know, RB may have declined?!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alc20 wrote: »
    Kelly Holmes was made a dame at age 35. I would say they have both contributed a lot to Sport. You could argue Beckham even more on a global scale.

Kelly Holmes made a great achievement to become a double Olympic champion at 35, but I think it was a knee-jerk reaction to award her with a Damehood.

Being called a 'Dame' in your mid-30s is ageing to say the least!! An OBE would have sufficed.

I think there are a lot of discrepancies on who is awarded and who isn't. I can see why somebody like David Jason would be chosen - and yet Ronnie Barker, for example, never was.

David Beckham, a spearhead for what could be considered a vastly underachieving, overpaid generation of English players and better known for his celebrity status, is being touted at the age of 35 - and yet Bobby Moore, the only England captain to actually lift the World Cup, was overlooked.

The idea of Simon Cowell receiving an honour is particularly distasteful. Yes, he does charity work - but so do a lot of people. His chief job description is making millions out of trash, exploitative television.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Always makes me laugh how The Corrs have MBE's :D
  • Options
    miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I like Becks a lot...but a knighthood. Please. Bruce Forsyth...defo...not Becks, not yet.
  • Options
    TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't be serious about this, given the present fortunes of English soccer.

I wonder what Lady Loos would make of it all.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how the honours system works but if David gets one, would Victoria as his wife get a title as well?