Suitable pet in a flat

littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am after a pet but live in a forth floor, one bed flat so don't want to get anything inappropriate. I can't have a dog or cat due to allergies, but don't have any experience of keeping anything else.

Fish don't really grab me as I'd like something I can handle and interact with.

Has anyone been in the same position and what pet would you recommend?

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Lizards
    Birds
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Be very careful about birds. How thin are your walls? Even budgies scream, and it's LOUD. They can be a great way to piss off your neighbours, unless you own your flat and don't give a shit!
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Hamster, Gerbil or Rabbit I would suggest.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hamsters can be really noisy I know it sounds daft but we used to have one that gnawed the bars at night and had a REALLY noisy wheel, so buy a barless cage i.e. Rotastak and try out the wheel (not with yourself but a couple of hand spins to test for squeaks)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,018
    Forum Member
    Hamsters can be really noisy I know it sounds daft but we used to have one that gnawed the bars at night and had a REALLY noisy wheel, so buy a barless cage i.e. Rotastak and try out the wheel (not with yourself but a couple of hand spins to test for squeaks)
    Yes didn't have a cage with bars never thought of that. But they are good to handle etc, as the OP was looking for,
  • TOOTandcomeinTOOTandcomein Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many years ago I was in a similar situation and opted for a pet rat. Best thing I ever done, it was a great companion.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    Yes didn't have a cage with bars never thought of that. But they are good to handle etc, as the OP was looking for,

My children were the ones that kept them and they loved them (when we found a quiet cage!) no idea about gerbils although I did have a friend with a house rabbit which worked out well for her once she had rabbit proofed her flat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Ferret. Fantastic pets and so much more interactive than a rabbit or guinea pig....and contrary to belief they are only smelly if you don't keep them correctly . They are easily litter trained and so amusing
  • Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I was in a similar situation and opted for a pet rat. Best thing I ever done, it was a great companion.

I second the rat. Allot of people normally hear rat and go ewwwww! I was one of them people a long time ago, but my friend kept rats and she made me hold one once and you learn how sweet and charming rats are. Since then I’ve been hooked.

Great little companions and apart from the initial start up cost they are relatively cheap as you can make toys out of pretty much anything, just yesterday I found some wool in a cupboard and knitted the rats a nice hammock, save myself a £10 :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Do you have any plans to grow up snakes.. then i would suggest you to go for Corn Snakes or Milk snakes etc !
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    African snails.

My ex neighbour used to have some.

You buy them quite small and they grow to about the size of a squash ball when they are fully grown, which is quite quickly, i.e. a few months to a year.

All they need is an aquarium type enclosure with damp soil or peat at the bottom, plus a ventilation cover at the top, some cuttle fish bone and be fed on vegetable matter, e.g. cucumber, lettuce etc.

They are pretty low maintenance, e.g clean the enclosure and replace the soil/peat every couple of weeks, keep the conditions damp etc., but not exactly very interactive. However, at least you can pick them up, unlike fish.

Your local pet store may stock them.

Other than that, what other people have suggested.

If you are renting, check whether pets are allowed.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    birds are okay, but unless you put a heck of a lot of time into them, they're not much fun

hamsters, mice, gerbils, rats etc. are quite good as you can interact with them (with hamster wheels, if they squeak, put a nice big dollop of vaseline onto the pin and it should stop it)

snakes and lizards are easy enough, cou can handle both of those
    rabbits and guinea pigs if you can let them free-range in your flat for an hour or two each day, however rabbits are as bad for allergies ad cats and dogs
  • gothergother Posts: 14,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with the rat.I had one myself many years ago and he was a great companion.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    HettyRip wrote: »
    Ferret. Fantastic pets and so much more interactive than a rabbit or guinea pig....and contrary to belief they are only smelly if you don't keep them correctly . They are easily litter trained and so amusing

Ferrets are kleptomaniacs! They do make good pets but if you get a jill they need to go on the pill when their lady bits show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am after a pet but live in a forth floor, one bed flat so don't want to get anything inappropriate. I can't have a dog or cat due to allergies, but don't have any experience of keeping anything else.

Lizards
    Snakes
    Terrantula
    Giant African Land Snails
    Frogs
    Hamster
    Guinea Pig
    Rabbit
    Ferret
    Dagu
    Chinchilla
    Gerbils
    Rats
    Mice

Birds

The ones in bold get only if they wont set off your allergies :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Budgies - preferably a pair to keep each other company whilst you're out.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vote for rats (natch) love em, love em, love em. People can be allergic though so go and handle some first and see if they set you off. Also get from a breeder not from a pet shop, they will be tame and easy to handle and much healthier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member

if your allergic to cats and dogs then maybe you'll be allergic to other animals like rabbits, guinea pics and hamsters cos they still have fur :eek: x
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    kittychan wrote: »
    Be very careful about birds. How thin are your walls? Even budgies scream, and it's LOUD. They can be a great way to piss off your neighbours, unless you own your flat and don't give a shit!

One of my neighbours has a parrot and some budgies and you hear the parrot chattering away (it likes to mimic cats meowing) and the budgies singing can be quite pleasant but the parrot is getting loud at the moment as he has lots of guests staying and they can't keep the noise down so the parrot is getting a bit agitated.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have had rats and rabbits in a flat and both are fine except the rat got into the kitchen boiler once great times!
  • littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for great suggestions.

Some I've never heard of, let alone would have thought of myself. Time to do some further research. If I pick something with fur, or even without, will definately check if I'm allergic to it first.

I rent but am able to have a small pet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some I've never heard of, let alone would have thought of myself. Time to do some further research. If I pick something with fur, or even without, will definately check if I'm allergic to it first.

Same here, we have a cat :)...but even if we could have a larger pet, I wouldn't because our flat is quite small and it wouldn't be fair.

And what ones haven't you heard of before may I ask? :)
  • surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member

You can get wheels that have ball bearings rather than run on a spindle that are nearly silent.

Silent Spinners

But even normal wheels can be made quiter by taking them apart, and putting a thin smear of vaseline on the shaft,
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let us know what you choose. :)
  • Packup PetePackup Pete Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Degu, Chinchilla, Rat or Rabbit

or a Tortoise.