Stuart MacBride

davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone read his books, following the detective Logan? I read Cold Granite a while back, and now I'm currently reading Dying Light - the second in the series. I'm nearly halfway through it.

Comments

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Stuart MacBride! He is clever and funny, and although his books are a bit bloodthirsty, they are so very readable. I've just finished Close To The Bone. Logan McRae is a likeable character:)
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    I finished Shatter the Bones last night and mentioned in my review how Logan is now my favourite fictional detective, overtaking Tom Thorne. He is a fantastic character, and I love his scenes with Steele. She has to be one of the best creations in crime fiction (in my opinion). It's been a few years since I first read the earlier books and I am tempted to go back to them. I do think that it is Logan and Steele that keeps me reading these books though, they are incredibly long and it isn't really the storyline that has me gripped rather the characters and the humour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I love Stuart Macbride. Logan McRae is my kind of detective, rebellious, downright irreverent to his peers, but respects women - and he's still young and sober!!!! I've read all the books, 'cept for the latest one Close to the Bone, which is only out in hardback, in the Logan series. Birthdays for the Dead, which is a standalone, is equally as good and just as worthy of a read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Stuart Macbrides books. I love Steel! And Logan is a great character. Have read all available now sadly so will have to wait for more :(
  • David_QuintonDavid_Quinton Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Love them, especially the black humour within. OKay they are a touch blood thirsty at times. but are still very enjoyable. Though how Logan still has a job after all the muck ups and dreadful errors he has made I don't know.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I got into him through reading Birthdays For The Dead
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm nearly at the end of Dying Light now - wonderful book! MacBride has created many colourful characters. I absolutely love DI Steel - she makes me laugh! And Logan is such a nice guy, the type of guy you wouldn't mind going down the pub for a pint with :) I'm sad to get towards the end now, but I'm going to buy the next one and start reading that next week.

The plot was really good in this, but I care about the characters more.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan to, although i'm not enjoying his latest as much as i thought i would. I'm getting the feeling he's pandering to the fans to much cos he seems to be throwing every character from previous books into the mix.
    Flesh House is my favourite, the badddie is straight out of a horror movie. Macbride is apparently in talks to bring LM to tv/film.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Hmm, sounds like my kind of thing. Good characters, bloodthirsty, straight out of a horror movie...Any particular one I should start with?
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Hmm, sounds like my kind of thing. Good characters, bloodthirsty, straight out of a horror movie...Any particular one I should start with?

the first? Cold Granite. Although calling them horror is a bit of a stretch.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Flesh House is a corkin story and my fave Logan Macrae novel by a mile! If you dont mind reading them out of order, go with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I love the books too. I live in Aberdeen so it's fantastic reading novels set here. It's always strange imagining bumping into Logan when I'm in one of the places mentioned in the books!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love these books. I think the humour in them is fantastic. Steel is a brilliant character. I agree flesh house is probably one the best Ideas. I hope they do bring these books to the screen.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks! Set in Aberdeen too? Fab.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,596
    Forum Member
    I love the McRae books, especially so as an Aberdonian! Brutal at times, but real page turners.

I didn't enjoy Close To The Bone as much as the others - I feel the characters are in danger of turning into parodies of themselves. Still my favourite book so far this year, though!
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just ordered Cold Granite on all your recommendations, thank you. Hope it's as good as you all say.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    One of the staff in my local Waterstones suggested I try Stuart MacBride and I'm about half way through Dark Blood and really enjoying it. What I wasn't expecting was the amount of humour in it. Some really laugh out loud scenes, along with gruesome murders and great dialogue.

I'll certainly be reading more of MacBride's work.
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I'm another fan of Stuart MacBride. I love the characters and humour, especially DI Steel. But why has DI Inch been faded out? He was another favourite, and his ever-changing sweetie choices made me laugh every time.

Have any of you read 'Halfhead' his foray into sci-fi (Stuart B MacBride)? Totally daft and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked half head. I think it would be a good film. My favourite macbride humour is when Logan and Jackie are in the lift and he asked. What's with the jelly babies? is he trying to stop smoking? I don't know maybe he is just a big fat barsteward! (or something similar) :D