EE: Is it just me or is carl

Bomani channingBomani channing Posts: 898
Forum Member
✭✭
Not the slightest bit intimidating. On paper this should've been a slam dunk. He looks like a hooligan, has a husky drawl and he gets to torment adam in squeal mode (which woodyatt excels at). But other than carl's first episode I am not seeing it. They don't seem to have the bully/wimp dynamic ian/phil had, which to be fair isn't that easy to replicate.

My problem is with the actor playing carl, he seems decent enough but I think he might be too small to be convincing as a physically threatening force. They should make keep him more like he was with alice/the jacksons.But then again that wouLd mean dumbing down the square to prop the new baddie :rolleyes:

What are others opinion on him? I keep reading he's a breath of fresh air but he seems really bland a predictable so far.And the worse thing is sux at the whole menacing thing.

Comments

• T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with you, Bomani. But to be honest, in a fictional world where a middle-aged, pudgy, short guy like Phil Mitchell gets to play top hardman, then it isn't too implausible for Carl to do the same. I find Carl more physically convincing as a hardman than Phil.

Maybe if Carl did a bit more shouting and screaming like Phil does, then he'd seem more intimidating :D. I'm not sure what it is. He does seem to have more of a calmer, understated personality than the likes of Derek, Phil, Dennis and Grant that's for sure.
  • PeculiarcandlePeculiarcandle Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    He'll be gone within the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    He doesnt look that tough or scary but i think carl is more brains than brawn. Phil is still the top dog still even though hes like 250 and im not sure if carl is capable of beating him up. Jack had potential to be top dog but instead he just shagged anything. Carl looks a bit crap tbh however, hes just started so i have to see what hes like to give proper feedback.
  • Bomani channingBomani channing Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I agree with you, Bomani. But to be honest, in a fictional world where a middle-aged, pudgy, short guy like Phil Mitchell gets to play top hardman, then it isn't too implausible for Carl to do the same. I find Carl more physically convincing as a hardman than Phil.

Maybe if Carl did a bit more shouting and screaming like Phil does, then he'd seem more intimidating :D. I'm not sure what it is. He does seem to have more of a calmer, understated personality than the likes of Derek, Phil, Dennis and Grant that's for sure.

That's just it though, I can see he's trying to do the calm/subtle intensity just bubbling on the surface schtick. But it doesn't work, he should stop whispering and start shouting. And to be frank up until around 07 steve mcfadden could pull off the hardman act easily. It wasnt just the voice but his facial expressions were just ace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I think he's supposed to be a sinister bully rather than an obvious hardman. Whereas Phil and Derek are/were obvious hardmen, Carl is more your Trevor sort of scary - I think I'm right I'm remembering there was mention that Carl physically abused Kirsty?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    jw80 wrote: »
    I think he's supposed to be a sinister bully rather than an obvious hardman. Whereas Phil and Derek are/were obvious hardmen, Carl is more your Trevor sort of scary - I think I'm right I'm remembering there was mention that Carl physically abused Kirsty?
    You're right. He's a woman beater. :mad:
    Forum Member
    I think carl is the type that will on pick on the weak a bit like phil but when somebody stands up to him or doesnt take crap from him, he will back off. Phil is looking past his peak, he can still be intimidating but hes lost his scary side like dexter was shouting at him (10 years ago nobody would dare to talk to him like that).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just it though, I can see he's trying to do the calm/subtle intensity just bubbling on the surface schtick. But it doesn't work, he should stop whispering and start shouting. And to be frank up until around 07 steve mcfadden could pull off the hardman act easily. It wasnt just the voice but his facial expressions were just ace.

Agreed. It doesn't work. He does whisper too much. Thing is, if they made him into a shouty hardman - then some people would say he's panto :D. Either way, he'll get criticised. But like you, I would prefer to see Carl shout more as I can think that will make the viewers take him more seriously.

I also agree about McFadden. He had some menacing facial expressions and his angry voice was intimidating back in the day. But physically, I've never found him convincing as a hardman. Dan Sullivan should've wiped the floor with him in a fight, yet somehow struggled to beat Phil.

The Mitchell brothers have always been favoured over other hardmen by the writers. So much so that it's become somewhat of a EE cliché and quite tedious to watch as a viewer. Carl will no doubt be put in his place by Phil at some point.
    Forum Member
    Yh the mitchell are always favoured only in the rare times they lose (to somebody like den). Really, somebody like johnny allen would have killed both brothers ages ago. Phil is one of the most luckiest man ever he has always been so close to dying but always gets lucky which is annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    he gets violent soon ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yh the mitchell are always favoured only in the rare times they lose (to somebody like den). Really, somebody like johnny allen would have killed both brothers ages ago. Phil is one of the most luckiest man ever he has always been so close to dying but always gets lucky which is annoying.

Yeah. I loved it when Den and Dennis teamed up to bring down Philth :D. Epic stuff.

True. That's what made Johnny Allen dangerous. As a fighter, he wasn't that tough. But his connections in the criminal underworld made him a formidable villain. He could get people murdered within two minutes after a phone call :eek:.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. It doesn't work. He does whisper too much. Thing is, if they made him into a shouty hardman - then some people would say he's panto :D. Either way, he'll get criticised. But like you, I would prefer to see Carl shout more as I can think that will make the viewers take him more seriously.

I also agree about McFadden. He had some menacing facial expressions and his angry voice was intimidating back in the day. But physically, I've never found him convincing as a hardman. Dan Sullivan should've wiped the floor with him in a fight, yet somehow struggled to beat Phil.

The Mitchell brothers have always been favoured over other hardmen by the writers. So much so that it's become somewhat of a EE cliché and quite tedious to watch as a viewer. Carl will no doubt be put in his place by Phil at some point.

bib: Agreed. An EE tradition, unfortunately.:yawn:
    Forum Member
    Yeah. I loved it when Den and Dennis teamed up to bring down Philth :D. Epic stuff.

True. That's what made Johnny Allen dangerous. As a fighter, he wasn't that tough. But his connections in the criminal underworld made him a formidable villain. He could get people murdered within two minutes after a phone call :eek:.

It was good to see phil brought down a peg or two. Den done most of the work by himself and destroyed phil really. Even when they fought den found a way to beat phil. Phil also struggled to beat up johnny lol. Johnny killed andy without a problem and at the end when he admitted to his murders there a lot of people he killed. So killing phil and grant wouldnt have really bothered him and carl looks crap lol. Hopefully hell have some storylines to get stuck into.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'll be gone within the year.

So will Newman.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was good to see phil brought down a peg or two. Den done most of the work by himself and destroyed phil really. Even when they fought den found a way to beat phil. Phil also struggled to beat up johnny lol. Johnny killed andy without a problem and at the end when he admitted to his murders there a lot of people he killed. So killing phil and grant wouldnt have really bothered him and carl looks crap lol. Hopefully hell have some storylines to get stuck into.

Haha yeah, I remember the time when Phil tried to attack Johnny in his office, and Johnny dodged the punch comfortably :D. It made me laugh. It was like watching an aging boxer trying to punch Mohammed Ali in his prime :D.

Johnny's murder of Andy was hilarious :o:D. "Have a good flight." :D:D

Yeah, I think by the end, Johnny had grown tired with all the feuding. He wasn't in the right mindset to deal with the Mitchell brothers. But he still came close to killing them.

From the sounds of it, it seems like Carl will give Phil a run for his money. We know that Phil and Carl have some scenes together soon. Carl doesn't seem intimidated by Phil at all and continues to demand for his money from Ian. Phil accepts Carl's demands from the sounds of it and tells Ian to pay his money - that's very unPhil-like. In the past, Phil would've tried something to get Carl to back off. I think Phil realises he's not as tough as he once was. Nevertheless, I do think Phil will still somehow manage to come out on top and beat Carl. It's inevitable :yawn:.
    Forum Member
    Haha yeah, I remember the time when Phil tried to attack Johnny in his office, and Johnny dodged the punch comfortably :D. It made me laugh. It was like watching an aging boxer trying to punch Mohammed Ali in his prime :D.

Johnny's murder of Andy was hilarious :o:D. "Have a good flight." :D:D

Yeah, I think by the end, Johnny had grown tired with all the feuding. He wasn't in the right mindset to deal with the Mitchell brothers. But he still came close to killing them.

From the sounds of it, it seems like Carl will give Phil a run for his money. We know that Phil and Carl have some scenes together soon. Carl doesn't seem intimidated by Phil at all and continues to demand for his money from Ian. Phil accepts Carl's demands from the sounds of it and tells Ian to pay his money - that's very unPhil-like. In the past, Phil would've tried something to get Carl to back off. I think Phil realises he's not as tough as he once was. Nevertheless, I do think Phil will still somehow manage to come out on top and beat Carl. It's inevitable :yawn:.

I agree phil would normally say something like next time you tell me this is my manor blah blah. I dont carl think will be scared of phil but lets hope this is phils last big fued and he can die or something. Somebody said they would like to see phil in a wheelchair, so would i. I think carl looks a bit small and i could never imagine him punching anyone he dont suit it. Then again derek looked weird when he got into a fight aswell.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree phil would normally say something like next time you tell me this is my manor blah blah. I dont carl think will be scared of phil but lets hope this is phils last big fued and he can die or something. Somebody said they would like to see phil in a wheelchair, so would i. I think carl looks a bit small and i could never imagine him punching anyone he dont suit it. Then again derek looked weird when he got into a fight aswell.

Yeah, hopefully Carl or Jake Stone can put Phil in his grave once and for all. It needs to happen soon. First they need to build the storyline up gradually over a 1 or 2 year period.

I actually suggested that idea myself along with another poster. I like the idea of Phil in a wheelchair. It could make him realise that he's too old to play the hardman and push the character in a new direction. Would certainly be a good redemption storyline for Phil as we see him adapt to life in a wheelchair. I think it would be a very humbling experience for him and it will force him to face up to how badly he has treated people over the years.
    Forum Member
    I wouldnt want phil to be in a wheelchair forever just for like a couple of months or something. I dont think jake stone (warren) will be a hardman because his character sounded like a player/pretty boy type. Hopefully he will be tough though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt want phil to be in a wheelchair forever just for like a couple of months or something. I dont think jake stone (warren) will be a hardman because his character sounded like a player/pretty boy type. Hopefully he will be tough though.

Me neither. The storyline should last for about 6-9 months. Gradually Phil would get back on his feet again after a slow recovery. The recovery needs to be slow or it will come off unrealistic. Spinal injuries always take time to heal.

Yeah, you're right about Jake. But Dan Sullivan had a similar description to him and turned out to be a tough guy. I think Jake might start off as a normal guy, and then gradually become bad.
  • thedarklord _thedarklord _ Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, hopefully Carl or Jake Stone can put Phil in his grave once and for all. It needs to happen soon. First they need to build the storyline up gradually over a 1 or 2 year period.

I actually suggested that idea myself along with another poster. I like the idea of Phil in a wheelchair. It could make him realise that he's too old to play the hardman and push the character in a new direction. Would certainly be a good redemption storyline for Phil as we see him adapt to life in a wheelchair. I think it would be a very humbling experience for him and it will force him to face up to how badly he has treated people over the years.

I'd like this storyline if Steve McFadden was leaving the show. But I still want to see more 'hardman' Phil for a little while longer :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like this storyline if Steve McFadden was leaving the show. But I still want to see more 'hardman' Phil for a little while longer :D

Haha fair enough :D.

Mind you, I am looking forward to seeing the stunt with him and Carl. Sounds like it will be exciting. Let's hope the stunts are good :cool:.