Torvill & Dean to perform Bolero again in Sarajevo

d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just saw this announcement on twitter and found this link -

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Torvill-Dean-t-wait-Sarajevo-return-mark-Bolero/story-20517591-detail/story.htm

Really looking forward to this :)

Comments

• IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Just saw this announcement on twitter and found this link -

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Torvill-Dean-t-wait-Sarajevo-return-mark-Bolero/story-20517591-detail/story.htm

Really looking forward to this :)
    Not me - that was 30 years ago - tempus fugit.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does anyone know if this will be shown on TV at all??
  • WickedPlansWickedPlans Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    They said on last week's show that they were going to commemorate it, not perform it.
  • indywindyw Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    does anyone know if this will be shown on TV at all??

Apparently on The One Show tomorrow. BBC1 7pm
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said on last week's show that they were going to commemorate it, not perform it.

Not according to the Nottingham Post (updated link as the one in the OP has expired)

http://www.nottinghampost.com/VIDEO-Torvill-Dean-ready-Bolero-anniversary/story-20621285-detail/story.html
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This article gives a lot of background info too, including about the little-girl-now-adult who made Jayne smile as she collected flowers before she and Chris could go out to start their Bolero.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/torvill-and-dean-back-sarajevo-after-30-years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    On my blog I posted two links; one to the performance of Bolero that was skated tonight and also the ITV News coverage it got, so if anyone is interested it's here along with my own thoughts:

http://www.lifeofadancingfangirl.wordpress.com
  • ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link Lauren_Ash.

I'm sure it was emotional to see them once again dance that smashing dance. I remember it quite well and winning the gold has certainly helped them carve out careers for themselves. I do think that Christopher is struggling now 'tho which is hardly surprising.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayne and Chris are on The One Show tonight and they will apparently be showing their Bolero 2014 In full.
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amytigger wrote: »
    Jayne and Chris are on The One Show tonight and they will apparently be showing their Bolero 2014 In full.

Well so much for that theory!

Feel bitterly disappointed that they barely showed any of the routine let alone the full 4 minutes, I wanted to record it to keep alongside all my other T&D recordings from the last 30yrs. :(
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TraceyUK wrote: »
    Well so much for that theory!

Feel bitterly disappointed that they barely showed any of the routine let alone the full 4 minutes, I wanted to record it to keep alongside all my other T&D recordings from the last 30yrs. :(

Tracey, they said there would be a more indepth report on the BBC website, not sure if that includes more Bolero tough. And they will be performing it on the tour too, so that's something to look forward to!

(not sure why there is another thread here btw, I started one a couple of weeks ago, maybe they should be merged?)
  • TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Tracey, they said there would be a more indepth report on the BBC website, not sure if that includes more Bolero tough. And they will be performing it on the tour too, so that's something to look forward to!

(not sure why there is another thread here btw, I started one a couple of weeks ago, maybe they should be merged?)

You can't record from a website :-(

They've hyped it up for weeks and then not even give it proper TV coverage is appalling IMO.

Not everyone will be able to go to the tour to see it either.

Also not all people have access to computers especially some of the older generation who I'm sure would have loved to have seen this televised properly.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are lots of ways of ripping video/audio from a website actually, Tracey. Why? Is it on somewhere?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayne said that nowadays the Free Dance is less free than it was in her day, as there are mandatory sharp turns and moves such as twizzles. So, though ice dancing is faster and more athletic nowadays, so it has advanced in some ways, has it also regressed by the comparative lack of artistic freedom ?
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Jayne said that nowadays the Free Dance is less free than it was in her day, as there are mandatory sharp turns and moves such as twizzles. So, though ice dancing is faster and more athletic nowadays, so it has advanced in some ways, has it also regressed by the comparative lack of artistic freedom ?

You could well be right, but nothing stays the same, does it? Exactly the same thing has happened in the world of ballroom & Latin - the competitors of yesteryear look positively pedestrian compared to the dancers of today.

Is it an improvement? It's all a matter of opinion; people either like it or they don't. Personally, I do; I think ice dance and ballroom are both far more exciting, although there are times when I think Latin (my main discipline)has tended to become too frenetic.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been watching some of the skating at the Olympics and it seems pretty boring these days. Maybe it's just me, but all the routines are very samey. I used to love watching it as a child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching some of the skating at the Olympics and it seems pretty boring these days. Maybe it's just me, but all the routines are very samey. I used to love watching it as a child.

The side-by-side twizzles are getting very tedious. There used to be more variety in the past.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The side-by-side twizzles are getting very tedious. There used to be more variety in the past.

They are awful. I was watching a couple this morning dancing a lovely Charleston inspired routine, and then in the middle they randomly did those silly twizzles. It totally spoiled the whole dance and makes all the routines very samey.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really fed up with the blasted twizzles. I am really hoping that they have got them out of the way in the short programme and we won't have to see them again in the free dance but I am fully expected to be disappointed >:(>:(>:(.

Does anybody know if there is going to be a full showing of Jayne and Chris's recent Bolero routine on terrestrial TV?
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are awful. I was watching a couple this morning dancing a lovely Charleston inspired routine, and then in the middle they randomly did those silly twizzles. It totally spoiled the whole dance and makes all the routines very samey.

I can recall a certain Mr Dean commentating on a routine from Gritschuk and Platov - prior to T&D's ill fated return to the Olympics where the latter lost to the former. He made much of Ms Gritschuk's ability to twizzle - oh how that came to bite not only him back but the entire ice dance discipline!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I can recall a certain Mr Dean commentating on a routine from Gritschuk and Platov - prior to T&D's ill fated return to the Olympics where the latter lost to the former. He made much of Ms Gritschuk's ability to twizzle - oh how that came to bite not only him back but the entire ice dance discipline!

The thing with the twizzles is they seem so out of place in something like the the Charleston routine I watched, you just wouldn't do something like that in a Charleston.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned on another thread, but in case it hasn't, and if anyone is interested, T&D's Sarajevo 2014 Bolero is now on You Tube.

Sorry I'm not sure how to post the link, but the heading is:

Torvill & Dean Recreate 1984 gold medal routine Sochi 2014
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭