Options

ched evans / andrew neil

124»

Comments

• Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Well it seems to me clubs and fans are only really interested in one thing, how good the player is. The salient point here is once convicted of a crime, whatever it is, and having served the punishment for it should you still be punished for it thereafter. In this instance the footballer has afaik claimed he was innocent.

As was pointed out in the programme, various crimes preclude you from employment in certain jobs after imprisonment - e.g. child molesters are refused employed in schools and fraudsters won't get back into banking.

Putting a convicted footballer back into temptation when a mate calls him to screw a drunken woman is almost similar.

He won't be prevented from getting another job altogether - cashier at Tesco say. :)
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bahtat wrote: »
    It may very well be easily the best, I can't comment because I've never watched it. However, if that's the case, then they don't do it much justice by scheduling it at a time when most people have to be in bed if they're up early the next day.

I usually record This Week and watch it the following day. If you are interested in politics give it a try ... record it or catch up on iPlayer.
    Bahtat wrote: »
    For that reason, I would say they don't see it as one of the main weekly political programmes.

Most politics is saved for early afternoon BBC 2 or a late night slot. This Week main not be "the" main weekly political programme, but it is certainly "on of the main".

Question Time is probably the BBC's flagship politics programme but, although I usually watch it, I don't rate it as highly as it's an excuse for politicians to play to the gallery. This Week is contains more balanced, thoughtful debate but in quite a relaxed fashion.

The BBC may not consider it their flagship programme but This Week has a cult following.
    diablo wrote: »
    As was pointed out in the programme, various crimes preclude you from employment in certain jobs after imprisonment - e.g. child molesters are refused employed in schools and fraudsters won't get back into banking.

Putting a convicted footballer back into temptation when a mate calls him to screw a drunken woman is almost similar.

No, it really isn't. I don't know whether you were trying to make a valid point or trying to make a joke. Either way, it hasn't worked.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »

He won't be prevented from getting another job altogether - cashier at Tesco say. :)

That's a good point but the counter point, which Portillo made in the programme, is that the FA rules do not currently insist on such preclusion in football. Now whether they should or not is subject to debate, but given that they don't it seems inequitable that political lobby groups should force preclusion in one particular case. That's not justice, it's political oppression.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea that a "morals clause" would cease at pro football is naive, and such a thing is the very embodiment of "mob justice" anyway.

As ever, the mob don't see it that way...
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The idea that a "morals clause" would cease at pro football is naive, and such a thing is the very embodiment of "mob justice" anyway.

As ever, the mob don't see it that way...

Are you calling me a 'mob' ? :D

I tend to go along with Alan Johnson who said he didn't like this Ched guy being re-instated to maybe become a role model for impressionable youngsters.

Even if he wins his appeal, which is unlikely, he obviously has the very base and despicable moral standards which seem to common with many highly paid footballers who think they can get away with anything.

I hope that his former club choose not to re-employ him.

His victim and family seem to be getting death threats from mindless football thugs -

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/ched-evans-pleas-of-innocence-are-destroying-victim-says-raped-womans-father-9818876.html