Options

Whats your fave album that was a huge flop?

Comments

• Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Leona's Glassheart, its a great album which shouldn't have flopped.
    jackbell wrote: »
    It 'flopped' because they left it too long like stale cake.

It flopped because of poor single choices, why Leona and Syco choose Trouble and Lovebird over tracks like Come Alive, Glassheart or Sugar I don't understand. I really do think it is her strongest to date and had so many songs that would have worked as singles.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why people are listening Beyoncè's '4' in this thread. It did not sell as much as her past albums but it was far from a flop.

Also, Doll Domination was not a flop. If an album doesn't sell as much as the previous album - doesn't mean it's a flop.

A few members such as myself did say the album they are listing are not flops, but are low sellers compared to previous albums by that seller
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12 months 11 days by Gary Barlow, it has some fantastic tracks that more than deserved to be hits and its an album that deserved the success of the last few Take That albums.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    What about The Macc Lads as well ? Don't remember hearing them in the charts ?

Don't like the Macc Lads. HMHB have wit, they don't.
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamelia - Walk With Me

Beware of The Dog!
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel Stevens - Come And Get It (as mentioned elsewhere)
    Manda Rin - My DNA (think 3 of us bought it, an electro classic)
    Do Me Bad Things - Yes! (big BIG tunes)
  • Options
    offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Delta Goodrem- Mistaken Identity stunning album a great exploration of her battle and recovery against cancer.

Good answer. I also really like Child of the Universe but as far as I've noticed there has not been much buzz about that one either?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cyndi Lauper's Bring Ya To The Brink - I just don't understand what happened - a brilliant album!

Lack of promo, I think? It is a brilliant album, and one I haven't given a spin in a while.

It's just a shame the follow-up, Memphis Blues, is not my kind of album at all. I admire Cyndi for doing what she wants but I hope she'll return to pop if she releases another album.
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    wish DS would ban the word flop lol or at least if a someones post contains the word flop a definition of what it actually means appears haha
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good answer. I also really like Child of the Universe but as far as I've noticed there has not been much buzz about that one either?

It's a shame that after the huge dip in sales after IE she's dirt of abandoned her UK fan base and has suffered almost zero sales. I love Delta she's a great artists that deserves a little more recignition :)
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think a top 3 album can be classed as a 'huge' flop. Did it perform to expectations- no, clearly not. Was it a 'huge' flop- no.

Peaks mean nothing. Bionic got to #1 and yet would you claim that was anything other than a massive flop? Glassheart only spent three weeks in the Top 40, and has so far sold only a dismal c.70,000 copies despite the fact it was released in the forth quarter and launched with an X-Factor performance...
    I don't understand why people are listening Beyoncè's '4' in this thread. It did not sell as much as her past albums but it was far from a flop.

Also, Doll Domination was not a flop. If an album doesn't sell as much as the previous album - doesn't mean it's a flop.

To be fair the people who have listed likes of '4' have specified they aren't just listing flops, but also albums that largely undersold based on an artists fame, status and previous success.

With Doll Domination, your right it wasn't close to being a huge flop but it was hardly a success either, only managing to sell 200,000 copies, a sixth of it's predecessor.
    wish DS would ban the word flop lol or at least if a someones post contains the word flop a definition of what it actually means appears haha

Flop:
    verb. fail
    noun. failure - washout - miscarriage - fiasco

A few of my recent favourites that didn't do very well at all -

Natalia Kills - Perfectionist
    Britney Spears - Feeme Fatale
    Avril Lavigne - Goodbye Lullaby

The first of which failed to go Top 100, with other two only just managing to scrape Silver despite the fact they were released by two very, very big names.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a few more mentions:

Kylie Minogue- Impossible Princess
    Joss Stone- Introducing
    Lura Marling- Alas I Cannot Swim
    Kate Bush- The Dreaming
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strip Me by Natasha Bedingfield was a fantastic album I thought. A huge highlight of 2010 for me.

Most of these albums listed shouldn't even be here. People are listing a lot of albums that are certified Gold and Platinum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Kate Bush- The Dreaming

Like all of these, especially Impossible Princess. It irks me that people go on about wanting Kylie to be less pop but when she does nobody supports her via actually buying it.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member

Joss Stone- Introducing
    Kate Bush- The Dreaming

You know this already, but I adore LM. :)

Bionic - Christina Aguilera
    Volume II - She & Him
    The Idler Wheel... - Fiona Apple
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays - On Your Radar & Ke$ha - Warrior
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Strip Me by Natasha Bedingfield was a fantastic album I thought. A huge highlight of 2010 for me.

Fantastic album (as are all her albums). I wish she would stop messing about in the US and start focusing on the UK again. Neither Pocketful of Sunshine or Strip Me have had proper releases in the UK - I doubt they ever will now.

She really messed up by ditching the UK to go focus on the US.

Another vote for Impossible Princess too. There are some truly stunning songs on that album and leftover from that era. Take Me With You are Love Takes Over Me are two of my favourite Kylie songs. I'd love for her to return to that sound again.
  • Options
    SpencerLeveySpencerLevey Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natalia Kills - Perfectionist
    Alexandra Burke - Heartbreak on Hold
  • Options
    kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Kylie - X ...although not a " flop" it didnt sell too well..its one of my fave Kylie albums
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....Kate Bush- The Dreaming

I didn't realise until read great anniversary article on it that it was considered a disaster at time and EMI very nearly asked for money back:). One of my all-time fave albums, but definitely wacky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melanie C - The Sea
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member

No kidding. I have a ton of indie albums that sold less than 1000 copies because only 1000 copies were ever made. Do those count as "flops"?

This might be my favorite "rare" album:
    The Freedom CD, which was a collection of "demoscene" music such as Zodiak - Respirator, only had 800 pressings ever made, and it was only available to purchase from their website, back in 1995.
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops I forgot to mention Alesha Dixon - The Entertainer. A major bomb that failed to make the Top 80, but one of my very favourite albums of 2010.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 3008 wrote: »
    Oops I forgot to mention Alesha Dixon - The Entertainer. A major bomb that failed to make the Top 80, but one of my very favourite albums of 2010.

I remember going out to buy it on release day and the shop I usually buy new albums from didn't have any in stock. I had high hopes. :(
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Dot Allison, "Afterglow".

Excellent album that should have launched Allison into the same indie-queen
    status as P.J. Harvey and Beth Orton, but had little commerical impact.