STV North Tonight f**k up

bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
Forum Member
Did anyone just see Andrea Brymer with a confused look on her face not know that she was broadcasting live to the nation?

Sums up STV for me.

Comments

• GarryMcGarryMc Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob_loblaw wrote: »
    Did anyone just see Andrea Brymer with a confused look on her face not know that she was broadcasting live to the nation?

Sums up STV for me.

One small mistake, lasting a few seconds sums up a whole company...:confused:
  • sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,385
    Forum Member

Sums up STV for me.
    That's a bit extreme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,547
    Forum Member
    That's a bit extreme.

Indeed! Laughable, isn't it? I love the open-minded nature of some contributors here (not!) :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do mistakes never happen at your workplace Bob? Must be great to be perfect :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely not near as bad as BBC Scotland missing the Commonwealth Games announcement live! See - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=690968
  • bob_loblawbob_loblaw Posts: 5,342
    Forum Member
    No, not based on that one mistake. I hate the channel with a passion. There are continuity errors all the time and they show the most annoying thing on British TV today and that is their "watch to win" competition. Just listen to the badly roboticised voices in it "Two thoussssssand pounddddds" , I feel so embarrassed for them and I had nothing to do with it. And then there's the variation of questions between a Coronation street one and an emmerdale one every single day.

Not strictly STV's fault but Scottish people should not be allowed to make adverts - case in point the Brody Country Fair.

In fact I'd ban all scottish productions from TV.

If only DTT carried other ITV regions.
  • TrajetTrajet Posts: 2,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not strictly STV's fault but Scottish people should not be allowed to make adverts - case in point the Brody Country Fair.

That would be Brodie Countryfare you numty!
    Forum Member
    Trajet wrote: »

I watch it through squinted eyes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can understand the hatred of STV in the ex-Grampian area.

When I've seen STV it does remind me of Tyne Tees under Leeds's control. Robotic, bland, cockup-prone and down-right patronising (we even had plummy RP announcer Maggie Mash wishing "Geordies" a "Canny Christmas from your station -- Tyne Tees Television" on one trailer -- grrrrr, on so many levels).

When you think back to what these small stations used to be like, it's small wonder there is resentment.

You'll be part of ITV1 soon enough though, then you'll know what it is like to not even have a TV region any more.
    Forum Member
    jase1 wrote: »
    I can understand the hatred of STV in the ex-Grampian area.

Really? If SMG hadn't bought out Grampian when they did, somebody else would have had to. Personally I was glad it was another Scottish company which took over (and ploughed cash and resources into what was once an ailing station).
    When I've seen STV it does remind me of Tyne Tees under Leeds's control. Robotic, bland, cockup-prone and down-right patronising (

You've obviously not seen much, then. It's vastly superior to a lot of the stuff going out under the ITV banner.
    When you think back to what these small stations used to be like, it's small wonder there is resentment.

Which resentment is this, then? Are you taking Bob Loblaw's words to be typical of the majority?
    You'll be part of ITV1 soon enough though,

Do you think so? What's that based on? Presumably you have some insider knowledge, rather than basing that comment on the made-up rumours which fly around here.

All the evidence would point to the contrary.
    bobloblaw wrote:

No, not based on that one mistake. I hate the channel with a passion. There are continuity errors all the time ...

In fact I'd ban all scottish productions from TV.

Continuity errors - I can't think of any recently. I don't think it's as common as you suggest.

If you really have such strong views, I think you need to try to get things in perspective a bit - it's a TV channel. You can easily avoid it and save your hatred for things in life which really matter.

As for your last comment - replace the word "scottish" (sic) with "black" and what you're saying is very racist!
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll be part of ITV1 soon enough though, then you'll know what it is like to not even have a TV region any more.

Yeah I miss the old ITV regions, things were better then than they are now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    stuart62 wrote: »
    Really? If SMG hadn't bought out Grampian when they did, somebody else would have had to. Personally I was glad it was another Scottish company which took over (and ploughed cash and resources into what was once an ailing station).

Is that so? What about UTV then? The one station in the network that has managed to retain much of its character?

Was Grampian "ailing"? Evidence?
    You've obviously not seen much, then. It's vastly superior to a lot of the stuff going out under the ITV banner.

Which isn't saying much......
    Which resentment is this, then? Are you taking Bob Loblaw's words to be typical of the majority?

You have a short memory. There was resentment alright -- ISTR that it even hit the Scottish Parliament at one stage. True, much of that resentment has been replaced with resignation, as it has done across the rest of the ITV network.
    Do you think so? What's that based on? Presumably you have some insider knowledge, rather than basing that comment on the made-up rumours which fly around here.

It is inevitable. SMG are small, and financially they are not in good shape. They are ripe for a takeover -- companies are holding off mainly because they think the situation will get worse before it gets better.
    Forum Member

Was Grampian "ailing"? Evidence?

They had closed their studio gallery and were forced to use their OB scanner for studio productions. Their equipment was in need of upgrading and they were producing very little other than North Tonight. SMG reopened the studio gallery and started an upgrade of resources culminating in the move to their current state-of-the-art HQ at Tullos.

Which isn't saying much......

OK, then - their presentation and productions are very professional and gain good ratings and AI figures.

You have a short memory. There was resentment alright -- ISTR that it even hit the Scottish Parliament at one stage. True, much of that resentment has been replaced with resignation, as it has done across the rest of the ITV network.

There's nothing wrong with my memory but thanks for your concern. Yes, there were a few people upset at the change of name (and TBH I think it's a shame they didn't retain it but I can appreciate why they didn't). There were no mass letter-writing campaigns or protests. Yes, it was mentioned once in Parliament but then again, so was the fact that Deirdre Barlow was wrongly imprisoned in Coronation Street many years ago so that kind of sums it up, really!

It is inevitable. SMG are small, and financially they are not in good shape. They are ripe for a takeover -- companies are holding off mainly because they think the situation will get worse before it gets better.

Ah, I see you have an enviable insight into business and some insider information. Sorry but I think you're wrong - people have been banging on about this for years but stv is in a stronger position than it's been for years with good ratings for local programmes and an increase in regional production. That doesn't seem to be something ITV is particularly interested in so I don't think they'd see stv as an attractive proposition!
    Forum Member
    As for your last comment - replace the word "scottish" (sic) with "black" and what you're saying is very racist!

Well as a Scottish person I can be as racist against scottish people as I like, but I don't agree that it is racist. Just the same as I don't think white people are good at rapping, and I don't think the French are good at speaking Japanese.

I think Scottish people are crap at TV. I don't mind scottish people being on TV, but that's as far as it goes.

Just look at the new STV promo adverts, are they actually advertising any of their own productions? Cos it seems that they are only proud of the ITV programmes.

No wonder, if the new postcode lottery programme is anything to go by.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Okay saying "Scottish" is racist :rolleyes: its like saying "Welsh" is racist too or Irish and English. Come on we don't need to go all bloody PC all time!

There is a difference between Ethnic and Nationality!
    Forum Member
    Well as a Scottish person I can be as racist against scottish people as I like, but I don't agree that it is racist.

Well the exclamation mark was supposed to be a sign that I was joking - maybe I should have used a smiley too?

I think Scottish people are crap at TV. I don't mind scottish people being on TV, but that's as far as it goes.

Don't watch Scottish productions then - it's as easy as that. Personally, I'm not into sweeping generalisations. I think there are some bad Scottish programmes (Still Game, Only an Excuse ) but there are also some very good Scottish ones (Taggart, Rebus, The Steamie, Scotch & Wry, Tootie Frutie).
    Just look at the new STV promo adverts, are they actually advertising any of their own productions? Cos it seems that they are only proud of the ITV programmes.
    They are publicising network programmes - basically thay have taken an ITV1 trailer and rebranded it for stv. Seems fair enough to me. They promote the local stuff at other times.
    No wonder, if the new postcode lottery programme is anything to go by.

How can you make a judgement on something you haven't seen? Do you realise how silly that sounds? As I said before, you seem to have a lot of hatred for the channel. Strikes me as a bit odd but if it bothers you that much, don't watch!
    djonshore wrote:
    Okay saying "Scottish" is racist its like saying "Welsh" is racist too or Irish and English. Come on we don't need to go all bloody PC all time!

There is a difference between Ethnic and Nationality!

Whoosh! Lol! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoosh! Lol! :)

Sorry, I just felt it went too PC :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,973
    Forum Member
    Trajet wrote: »

That would be numPty :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6520353.stm
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Just about every local ITV 6pm news show i've seen has not been perfect, mistakes do happen.

I wouldn't say that STV North is bland, we have a pretty good team nowadays, but some are quite inexperienced compaired to who we recently had leave.

They have made a good job with what they have and i'm sure they are not ailing as only a few years ago sold thier old studios which were too big, falling apart, not fit for purpose and had the issue of asbestos throught. Building thier new studio was more than paid for by that sale/land etc.

They can make a great TV programes when commissioned to

However I just feel sometimes that since people like Isla Traquair (always wanted the best story / angle, hard worker) who left for Sky and with this new weather format that it's lacking something.. I like Andrea as a presenter but Kirstin Gove is a better lead "anchor". Gets less flustered when it goes abit t*ts up. But thats the only reason really as she does the job well. The new presenters like Claire etc have freshened things up, but sometimes you just feel something behind the scenes is up or they are not full commited to it...

It needs a "shifty" about I think and one complaint i do have is the picture quality it looks like someone has stuck a soft filter over the studio cameras, the live outdoor broadcast is sharper, more colourfull and just what you'd expect... Which is strange as it's being compressed/uplicked at least twice before it gets to our TV's. They need to realize alot of people in Aberdeen are watching it on large screens..

By the way is Andrea Brymer pregnant she keeps covering her stomac when standing and wears stuff to cover that area up.. she also look blooming.

Yet seen her the other day in town and she looked quite slim.

As for being proud of our scottish programming personally there is nothing to be proud of.. there are very little shows being produced on ITV from scotland.. it just seems the budget is far far smaller and on the BBC it's not any better.. I mean who wants to be proud of River City for example it's a Scottish Eastenders with the cast basically an Extended Slater esk family. Fair enough Rebus and the like but there is not alot to be honest! We CAN do better!

It's greeat to think some very good presenters have graced that studio (well not that one anymore lol) like Selina Scott and Alistair Yates.

As for BBC Scotland News i think that is far more boring and dull. I just do not like Jackie Bird, something about her gets on my nerves i think it's the live outdoor broadcasts were made to endure at New Year/Children in Need etc etc.. they do the Beeb no justice!