Options

Amy Pond: The most independant companion so far...

alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
Forum Member
Speaking around the new series (not classic), Amy Pond is CLEARLY the most independent companion he's ever had.

If you think about it, with the other three - Rose, Martha and Donna, they all had families on home on earth, and would call them/speak to them/visit them in virtually every episode - whereas with Amy there's none of that - which I love!!!

what do you all think??

Comments

• Options
    TheTapTheTap Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I think she's fit if that adds anything to the conversation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is on purpose though.

I don't think it makes her anymore independent, I mean Martha went against her parents to travel with the Doctor, Rose left her boyfriend and Donna turned her life around to be the Doctor's companion. Whereas Amy's got her husband with her, and to her the doctor is this huge part of her life, since she was a little girl, being independent would have been not going with the doctor.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    RTD deliberately created a scenario that effectively tied the series to Earth - that was his idea years before the BBC agreed to the series (he was punting it to the beeb right through the late 1990's). Having family and friends was a part of that idea.

Moffat has gone back to the old idea where companions could just drop everything and go off with the Doctor - with the twist of having a married couple. He also did the clever time-travel thing in series 5 that Amy could away for days - in the space of a few minutes Earth time.

I like RTD's idea and it worked brilliantly but it was definitely time to get out there and see some new World and new aliens without waiting for them to come sightseeing around Trafalger Square.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD deliberately created a scenario that effectively tied the series to Earth - that was his idea years before the BBC agreed to the series (he was punting it to the beeb right through the late 1990's). Having family and friends was a part of that idea.

Moffat has gone back to the old idea where companions could just drop everything and go off with the Doctor - with the twist of having a married couple. He also did the clever time-travel thing in series 5 that Amy could away for days - in the space of a few minutes Earth time.

I like RTD's idea and it worked brilliantly but it was definitely time to get out there and see some new World and new aliens without waiting for them to come sightseeing around Trafalger Square.

But in hindsight, there were more RTD stories set on alien worlds than there has been SM stories.......so far.

In series 5 only 2 stories was set away from earth and one (The Beast Below) was set on a spacehip full of earthlings who had temporarily left earth!

In series 6, only episode 4 so far has been set on a different planet.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    To be fair, we know about Amy's family, and they have been significant in the past - but her roots, her grounding, is also in the TARDIS with her.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we already know she's so independent. Because she had to be as her parents and I'm guessing her aunt were swallowed by the crack so she's had to learn to be self-sufficient and depend on no one but herself. Which also kind of explains her relationship with Rory.

Ok her parents were brought back in The Big Bang but I don't think it's caused a massive personality change.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    But in hindsight, there were more RTD stories set on alien worlds than there has been SM stories.......so far.

I meant tied in the tethered sense - all of RTD's companions had family and friends that they returned to quite often. Earth the 2000's effectively became the base and adventures started and ended there.

Amy and Rory haven't even been home since series 6 started and when apart from the intro-section of episode one, they've been to the 1960s, the 18th century and now the future without any suggestion that they need or want to go back to Leadworth.

It's the first time since 2005 that the crew of the Tardis is self-contained - everything they need is in there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Bobsir wrote: »
    But we already know she's so independent. Because she had to be as her parents and I'm guessing her aunt were swallowed by the crack so she's had to learn to be self-sufficient and depend on no one but herself. Which also kind of explains her relationship with Rory.

Ok her parents were brought back in The Big Bang but I don't think it's caused a massive personality change.

^^this. She was introduced as independent, which made her interesting to the Doctor. The Girl who did not make sense.