Workmate told a lie to get off work for the day

124»

Comments

• BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    getzls wrote: »
    No you lousey snitch

Agree with this response entirely. Keep your nose out of other people's business OP.
  • BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    OP - no one likes a grass and if it ever comes out that you did grass up your "mate" then you will be the pariah at work and do you really want that? Especially if you grassing the guy up results in him losing his job. It won't be him that they will be p***ed with it will be you as they will be constantly watching their backs just in case you start grassing them up.

What a snitch eh. I agree. And what goes around comes around. Watch your back OP.
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more with (most of) the advice already given - you do not have the full facts, he may not have been at an appointment at that bank, it could be another one, or even another branch (maybe had to accompany someone?), you do not know that is the full reason - maybe the gentleman in question doesn't want you knowing his business, so has just come up with an excuse. Stay well clear, keep your head down & concentrate on your own job.
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP my advice is keep your snout out, no one likes a grass and when you get named - as you certainly will - folks will come snouting about in your private life and you'll be on here bleating.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    blimey.

snitch, grass, watch your back...told you are hated, that what goes around comes around... i'm surprised no-one has actually threatened you other than gleefully by imaginary proxy

ds advice forum at its finest.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    blimey.

snitch, grass, watch your back...told you are hated, that what goes around comes around... i'm surprised no-one has actually threatened you other than gleefully by imaginary proxy

What's your advice, then? I mean, I'm sure you're keen to provide some, seeing as how you're on an advice forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yea spill the beans, can't beat a good can of worms.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I agree that you have nowhere nearly enough evidence in this case OP, I would advise in favour of a quiet tactful word with the right person (not accusatory, just concerned) if you do have concerns about someone.

To all those whigning about snitching - how many people do you know who are unemployed and would do anything to give a job a proper go, when there are spongers and piss-takers stringing their employers along? Moreover, what if a slacking employee were indirectly upping your workload constantly? Or stopping the company getting profits which could earn you a payrise?

I'm not saying these people should be sacked, but some people really ought to buck their ideas up.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Whilst I agree that you have nowhere nearly enough evidence in this case OP, I would advise in favour of a quiet tactful word with the right person (not accusatory, just concerned) if you do have concerns about someone.

To all those whigning about snitching - how many people do you know who are unemployed and would do anything to give a job a proper go, when there are spongers and piss-takers stringing their employers along? Moreover, what if a slacking employee were indirectly upping your workload constantly? Or stopping the company getting profits which could earn you a payrise?

I'm not saying these people should be sacked, but some people really ought to buck their ideas up.

Personally it is for the company/manager/supervisor to pick up on this type of behaviour and if they are doing their job properly they will have already picked up this persons behaviour and continued absence/time off. If the OP is this persons equal at work then it really is none of his business and going to a manager/supervisor and pointing out that he heard from someone in the pub that his co-worker wasn't where he said he was really doesn't sound very convincing and does just sound like they are trying to cause trouble for the co-worker. What time off this other person has or what he does with it is also none of his business. He may well have told the Manager his real reason for being off and not told his co-workers. I don't broadcast to my co-workers why I am having time off or where I am going.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    What's your advice, then? I mean, I'm sure you're keen to provide some, seeing as how you're on an advice forum.

my advice would be that the minute you start calling someone childish names (or worse) on an advice forum, you've probably lost your moral compass.

hope that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest OP if he's already taken three days off this month and your boss has let him then there is likely another more serious reason for it and him having an appointment with the Bank Manager was likely just an excuse he told you.

Of course I'm just guessing but that's what it sounds like to me, either way I wouldn't get involved if I were you.
  • WaspezeWaspeze Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    Snip...He may well have told the Manager his real reason for being off and not told his co-workers. I don't broadcast to my co-workers why I am having time off or where I am going.

Exactly this..

I've got tomorrow off work, my co workers think i've got the housing agency coming round (just a lame excuse to get out of explaining the real reason) but my manager and director know the truth (i've got to go to london for a MRI)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens in the pub stays in the pub.

If it really bothers you wait until it is quiet and explain to the barmaid that she has broken both the bank's confidentiallity and the customer's - she ought to realise that the customer might not be overly pleased. If she makes similar slip ups in future offer to spank her.

Mind you, indiscretion and gossip is the stock in trade of a good barmaid.

I would be more worried about a bank employee having to take a second job.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Waspeze wrote: »
    Exactly this..

I've got tomorrow off work, my co workers think i've got the housing agency coming round (just a lame excuse to get out of explaining the real reason) but my manager and director know the truth (i've got to go to london for a MRI)

I hope it goes well:)
  • RCarter89RCarter89 Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    OP, you;re someone I wouldn't talk to at work. At all. Just saying.
  • Victorian FoxVictorian Fox Posts: 3,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RCarter89 wrote: »
    OP, you;re someone I wouldn't talk to at work. At all. Just saying.

I love you to. ;);)
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Waspeze wrote: »
    Exactly this..

Good luck - I hope it goes well :)
    Cyclist wrote: »
    What happens in the pub stays in the pub.

If it really bothers you wait until it is quiet and explain to the barmaid that she has broken both the bank's confidentiallity and the customer's - she ought to realise that the customer might not be overly pleased. If she makes similar slip ups in future offer to spank her.
    Mind you, indiscretion and gossip is the stock in trade of a good barmaid.

I would be more worried about a bank employee having to take a second job.

Perv :p
    :D
    I love you to. ;);)

Waspeze's post shows why you really shouldn't get involved. His line manager will know why he's got the day off and if this guy really is taking the P, he will be dealt with by TPTB in their own good time. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I posted my previous reply, I wrote more but deleted it. After reading the above saga, will add it now.

If his absence affects you, as in gives you more work to do, etc, a wiser path would be to take this up with the manager. Let him/her know how continued absence of any colleague can affect you and others, and you'd perhaps appreciate everyone should have a reminder about this from time to time. Do not single him out in this discussion. A good manager will not need you to do that and will know exactly what you are referring to without it being stated. It thus gives you leverage if this continues to be a problem to take it back to mangement as unresolved.

AsI said previously, what bothers me is that you sought out information on your colleague. This info you have did not happen by chance or circumstance, you went looking for it. You don't mention ever speaking to the colleague directly to ask him how he's doing! You've circumvented a normal pathway and gone right to a possibly incorrect conclusion.
    If, contrary to the above, his absence does not affect you at work, then it is an absolute, you need to keep out of it. You may gain favour from a manager for snitching, but you lose x times the amount of trust from everyone else, could really sour your reputation.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my advice would be that the minute you start calling someone childish names (or worse) on an advice forum, you've probably lost your moral compass.

hope that helps.

Sorry, but if you consider going behind someone's back and telling on them when your sole evidence comes from a barmaid, I think you're entitled to be called a snitch at least.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flakecake wrote: »
    I can't believe it bothers you so much you have to make a forum thread about it. Mind your own business.His job, his problem. Who hasn't told a white lie to get a day off work ?[/QUOTE]

Er - me. Sorry. But as others have said, we don't know what he told his manager do we?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all seriousness, I would keep quiet.

You never know what is going on, and if you go to your boss you will look like you're snooping or telling tales, and then most people will be wary of you.

I know times are hard and he might be wagging work for no reason, but chances are he's got it cleared with your boss. If it happens again, and you have reason to suspect him of being shifty about missing work then I'd have a private word with him first, before going to your boss.

Don't forget - he's either using his sick days up, using holiday or taking it unpaid. He won't be getting this time off for free, and if he is lying, he will get caught.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on folks, let's face it, in this current climate a 60 yr old bloke with learning disabilities will have no bother getting another job.
    I think the OP should snitch.

Ok, ok joking aside... I guess he's (the OP) got the message now, especially considering had he been off himself for any length of time, I'm sure he wouldn't want all his colleagues to know why.

Or maybe this thing doesn't work both ways?
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blimey.

Primer, I see where you're coming from, but not once has the OP thanked or acknowledged the alternative views or support he's received.

It's his 'thing' he never really notices or is able to acknowledge when people are even supporting him!

Mostly he voices an opinion then waits to see what others say, I doubt he EVER means to act on it.:)
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vic, i really dont think you should get involved..you don't know the full facts, you're basing it on assumptions, clearly your own and it is none of your business. Even if this colleague has been off before and you've doubted his reasons for being off, that's still not your business and i would steer clear.

just my opinion but i think it's unwise to take it any further