Options

Cowell tipped for Knighthood again.

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dexydal wrote: »
    Syco have said they know nothing about it. He would have heard by now if he was being knighted.
    They would say that though - I believe that it is customary NOT to confirm such things
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cowell may well get knighted; he is a pal of Cameron (and sang his praises in the Sun during the election campaign)...Murdoch probably put a good word in too

And I wouldn't be surprised if Beckham gets one too:yawn:

Who's Cameron?
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sinitta (35) is probably biting her lip and cannot wait to gush about it:D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who's Cameron?

David Cameron
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Cameron

Oh right, OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    i like him he does do a lot for charity with the xfactor singles and other stuff and he supports out country.

Being rather cynical and knowing what that man will do for publicity for the XFactor, I always get the impression that the charity record (although great the money goes to a fantastic cause) is done because of the publicity that a No1 creates.

Also, aside from the XF what has he done of well documented note that would mean a knighthood justified? Before XF there was Robson and Jerome, Five, Zig and Zag and other joke/cartoon stuff. I suppose he would be getting a knighthood for 'services to music' although some (alot) would say 'services to the death of GOOD music.

Granted I don't know the man personally, but what I see is someone that feeds his bank balance, followed by his ego. Anything that is a by product of that is not worthy of a knighthood surely.
  • Options
    sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell is involved in a lot of charities, most totally unknown by the public. A friend of mine works for a children's charity and says that he gives vast amounts on a regular basis without looking for any publicity. She has met him on a couple of occasions and says that the man she meets is totally unlike the image we get of him from the television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Simon Cowell is involved in a lot of charities, most totally unknown by the public. A friend of mine works for a children's charity and says that he gives vast amounts on a regular basis without looking for any publicity. She has met him on a couple of occasions and says that the man she meets is totally unlike the image we get of him from the television.

That's what everyone who meets Simon says about him, that he's a lovely, charming man. His contribution to the music industry is, however, questionable!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Sorry, but don't believe Cowell or, even less, Brucie deserve a knighthood. What about Alan Bennett? Perhaps he would turn it down though....

Edit - just googled & he did turn it down! I have even more repect for him then.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He doesn't deserve it, but it's only a matter of time before it happens. Same goes for Beckham.

These 'honours' ceased to be either serious or prestigious a number of years ago, once pop singers and rockers started picking them up.
  • Options
    TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    He doesn't deserve it, but it's only a matter of time before it happens. Same goes for Beckham.

These 'honours' ceased to be either serious or prestigious a number of years ago, once pop singers and rockers started picking them up.

Still PMSL that Kylie got one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member

I agree. They should be reserved for outstanding achievements and service to the country rather than just being a famous face.
  • Options
    dexydaldexydal Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. I know of a charity he gives a large annual donation to, that has never been mentioned in the media.

I personally feel that knighthoods should go to the people who work tirelessly for others through charities, or just on their own back. But as we know they don't. Simon is certainly more deserving then a lot of the people who have got them in the past, especially from the political spectrum.

Good luck to him, I hope he gets it.
  • Options
    Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just read on DS odds are slashed by bookmakers on him being knighted.

Still don't like it I like Simon its great what he does for charity but so many other celebs and millionaires give money he's not the only one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm....if that is the case, then he absolutely deserves it.

Perhaps my low opinion on him is somewhat clouded by the information fed to me by the media. He tends to be portrayed (and I don't know if it's accurate or not) as a money orientated individual and is smug and self centered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think if a rock star is a song-writer too, like say Paul McCartney, and he/she has contributed to music over a very long period of time with some quality music and is very well-respected, then I have no problem with that person receiving a gong. They are as deserving as anyone else in showbiz picking up one. It's when they give one to people like Kylie Minogue (who I have nothing against as a person) that it seems to make a mockery of it.

As for David Beckham maybe receiving a knighthood at the early age of 35, do me a favour......(even more irritating that pish would become LADY Beckham! :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    clara_sclara_s Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    laska wrote: »
    Hmmm....if that is the case, then he absolutely deserves it.

As well as giving donations to charities, he also does a lot to help individuals and families. For example there is a girl in my town who was badly burned as a baby and he has done loads for her and her family. I understand that he often pays off the mortgages of parents with sick children so that they have one less thing to worry about.

Eveyone who knows him privately says he's a really lovely man.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope he gets one.

What some people seem to confuse is his public (ie X Factor and BGT) personna with his private side. His showbiz side is an act.

Those who have met him in the street speak highly of him. He is happy to pose for photographs and sign autographs.

There is a vid on YouTube of him going over for a friendly talk with the paps doorstepping his London home. Many showbiz people think paps are the lowest of the low, not Simon.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    There is a vid on YouTube of him going over for a friendly talk with the paps doorstepping his London home. Many showbiz people think paps are the lowest of the low, not Simon.

Considering how much his acts rely on the paps, not to mention what a shameless media **** he is himself, I'm not surprised he cosies up to them.

And god knows when having friends who say you're a lovely man in private started making people knighthood material.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Considering how much his acts rely on the paps, not to mention what a shameless media **** he is himself, I'm not surprised he cosies up to them.

And god knows when having friends who say you're a lovely man in private started making people knighthood material.

The knighthood will be for services to showbiz and for charity work. He would be far from alone in receiving the honour for either.

Look how successful his shows have been in the US. American Idol is their top-rated prog and America's Got Talent is not far behind. You can knock him for all you like but he has the Midas touch - that is undeniable. The US is the toughest TV market in the world to crack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    I doubt it somehow. You don't get a knighthood for presenting some trash for the masses.

'Entertainment' stars in particular only get knighthhoods once they are middle-aged-look at the likes of Sean Connery, etc-60's at least before they got one.

Only fat-cats or members of the funny handshake brigade get knighthoods younger than that.

And IMO he shouldn't get one anyway.
  • Options
    Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you giving Cowell a Sir why not Fuller he started that type of music show didnt he sold more records.
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divkid wrote: »
    Sorry, but don't believe Cowell or, even less, Brucie deserve a knighthood. What about Alan Bennett? Perhaps he would turn it down though....

Edit - just googled & he did turn it down! I have even more repect for him then.

All credit to him for turning it down, they should be given to ordinary people, war heros etc and not celebs who get well paid for doing a job they like and are able to enjoy all the free benefits that go with it.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The knighthood will be for services to showbiz and for charity work. He would be far from alone in receiving the honour for either.

Look how successful his shows have been in the US. American Idol is their top-rated prog and America's Got Talent is not far behind. You can knock him for all you like but he has the Midas touch - that is undeniable. The US is the toughest TV market in the world to crack.

You said a minute ago that we shouldn't confuse his private life with his public one. It can only be one or the other. As far as I know public honours aren't given for private lives.

And yes, he has the midas touch for disposable crap, for which he has already been richly rewarded with millions of pounds. I thought the knighthood implied some sort of public service/work with lasting impact and importance, not just rewarding shameless commercial enterprise.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The list is out on the BBC, and Cowell isn't mentioned ( phew)