How soon do you get a speeding ticket?

SealegSealeg Posts: 449
Forum Member
Was driving through a village near York on Sunday and right on the outskirts of the place there was a speed van.

I don't normally speed (like to save on fuel!) but was maybe doing 33-34 in a 30 zone. there was a car in front going faster, so he might have got him instead of me!

How soon will a brown envelope drop through the door if I've been caught?

Comments

• Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    You mean a NIP not a parking ticket!! They have 14 days to issue you one, the day you were pinged is counted as 0. Thats provided you are the registered keeper, and your V5 (log book) is all correct. If it's a company car ( usually leased) it will go to the lease company, then your company, who will name you, then you will receive your NIP. If it is a company car, make sure they fill it in and send it back with your details, not just hand it to you.

At that speed you should be fine, cars always over read slightly, plus your allowed 10%
  • SealegSealeg Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    You mean a NIP not a parking ticket!! They have 14 days to issue you one, the day you were pinged is counted as 0. Thats provided you are the registered keeper, and your V5 (log book) is all correct. If it's a company car ( usually leased) it will go to the lease company, then your company, who will name you, then you will receive your NIP. If it is a company car, make sure they fill it in and send it back with your details, not just hand it to you.

At that speed you should be fine, cars always over read slightly, plus your allowed 10%

Haha, thanks, changed it! Not sure why I wrote parking, must be a Friday thing!

It's my car registered to me, so it should come here to my home.

Hope you're right, was deffo not doing more than 34, so fingers crossed! could really do without a fine:(
    Forum Member
    You should be ok its 10% plus 2miles I think, but remember they don't have to stick to that, if its a slow money making day they may go with "Speeding is Speeding" but usually they allow a bit of wiggle room.

Remember if you do get a NIP (notice of intended prosecution) you must fill in the S172 (thats the bit where you nominate the driver) and return it within 28 days, get proof of posting from post office when you return it.

If you want photos, they may or may not provide them, but you can ask for them, don't say photos for evidence, they don't need to provide them, ask for photos to help "identify the driver"
  • kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I think that the time limit for bringing a prosecution is actually 6 months not 14 days. This is for the issuing of the papers not to bring it to trial either.

Summary only" offences

1.Cases involving "summary only" offences can only be heard in the magistrates' court. Time limits are imposed and these need to be adhered to. The general rule for time bars on summary only offences is that prosecutions will be time barred if Informations are laid more than six months after the date of the offence 1. The Magistrates Court Act (MCA) allows for different time limits to apply where they are explicitly provided for in statutes.

My friend got caught speeding by a police car with a hand held speed gun at the side of the road a few years back. She thought she had got away with it as she hadn't heard anything for several months, when after about five months since the incident she received a letter from the Police issuing a summons. She got it checked out at the time with a solicitor and it was correct- six months is the time limit. With fixed speed cameras it seems to be a bit quicker as it appears to be more of an automatic process than a hand held speed gun or speed camera van at the side of the road.

Sorry if that wasn't the news you were looking for, but as others have said if you were only doing 33-34mph you might be ok with the tolerances normally allowed.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't get a fine for doing 34. Was that indicated 34 (i.e. your speedometer said 34) or do you know that most of them overestimate your speed? If it said 34 you were probably doing 30.
    Forum Member
    You won't get a fine for doing 34. Was that indicated 34 (i.e. your speedometer said 34) or do you know that most of them overestimate your speed? If it said 34 you were probably doing 30.

It said I was doing about 34, so maybe I'll be fine, there where a lot of cars going into the village a lot faster than I was leaving it though, so hopefully they kept him busy.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really have nothing to worry about OP, although I know that doesn't mean much and you won't rest easy until the weeks have passed and no ticket arrives :)
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    you can always do a Huhne!!!!
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    You will be fine :)

I got caught doing 84 in a 50 and it took 2 weeks for it to come through.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I got a fixed penalty fine for doing 34 in a 30, twice in the same spot over a 5 year period.
    Forum Member
    you can always do a Huhne!!!!

There's a thought:D

Er and no offence but doing 84 in a 50 is kind of disgraceful. What if you hit someone, they'd have no chance:(
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    kramstan70 wrote: »
    I think that the time limit for bringing a prosecution is actually 6 months not 14 days. This is for the issuing of the papers not to bring it to trial either.
    With a speed camera the rules are
    "The police must serve an Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of the alleged speeding offence"

This does not apply if an officer has already verbally warned the motorist.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usefull link

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/notice_of_intended_prosecution.htm

And if the speedo was reading 34 then it is possible that you were only doing 30-31 in reality. If the van is following ACPO guidelines then they should only issue a ticket for over 35. Mind you there is nothing to stop them issuing a ticket at 31 if they want.
    Forum Member
    Yes the have to lay the information at the courts within 6 months. But we haven't reached that far yet, they must issue and serve the NIP for speeding and other minor traffic offenses within 14 days to the registered owner of the vehicle (whose name is on the V5)

Thats why in some extreme motoring cases, people try to string out the process for 6 months, thus making it impossible to issue a summons for the original offense.

BKM yes true, a verbal NIP can be served by the police, or one is not even needed in case of an accident.

ACPO guidelines are just that, guidelines, they can and are often ignored.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Usefull link

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/notice_of_intended_prosecution.htm

And if the speedo was reading 34 then it is possible that you were only doing 30-31 in reality. If the van is following ACPO guidelines then they should only issue a ticket for over 35. Mind you there is nothing to stop them issuing a ticket at 31 if they want.

ACPO guidelines are just that... but then again, they stopped following them a while ago.
  • PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,419
    Forum Member
    :p:p:p:p:p:p
  • jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kramstan70 wrote: »

Summary only" offences

1.Cases involving "summary only" offences can only be heard in the magistrates' court. Time limits are imposed and these need to be adhered to. The general rule for time bars on summary only offences is that prosecutions will be time barred if Informations are laid more than six months after the date of the offence 1. The Magistrates Court Act (MCA) allows for different time limits to apply where they are explicitly provided for in statutes.

My friend got caught speeding by a police car with a hand held speed gun at the side of the road a few years back. She thought she had got away with it as she hadn't heard anything for several months, when after about five months since the incident she received a letter from the Police issuing a summons. She got it checked out at the time with a solicitor and it was correct- six months is the time limit. With fixed speed cameras it seems to be a bit quicker as it appears to be more of an automatic process than a hand held speed gun or speed camera van at the side of the road.

Sorry if that wasn't the news you were looking for, but as others have said if you were only doing 33-34mph you might be ok with the tolerances normally allowed.

Did your friend get pulled over and verbally notified? If not, I wouldn't recommend that solicitor.
  • carascaras Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people on here have suggested you won't get a fine, but I got caught doing 36 in a 30. I choose the speeding course. When there I got chatting to a guy who had done 34 in a 30. Must have been a slow day!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got caught doing 79 on dual carrageway was overtaking at time, tried to charge me £85 to take a driving course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the other thing that get my goat with speeding fines is the fact that to most of us £60 + 3 points is a lot of money but to a top exec or Man Uor city player it's pocket change. surely we could have a fairer system for us poor folk. it broke my heart to part with £60 for 5MPH over the limit. (this was quite a while ago, I'm a good boy now):o