Options

Do Netflix Charge Extra For Watching Breaking Bad + Other US Programmes?

StykerStyker Posts: 49,867
Forum Member
I'm thinking of subscribing to Netflix but I can't find out for sure if Netflix xharges extra to watch episodes/series of Breaking Bad and House Of Cards, do they? If so how much?

Any other useful information/tips you could give me on this I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, you pay £6.99 a month and get access to everything on there.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    No you only pay the monthly subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no, you pay £6.99 a month and get access to everything on there.

Even here in the UK? And can subscribers watch all episodes/series of Breaking Bad, House Of Cards for that £6.99 fee? I'm hearing they vary whats available depending which country people are in.
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes even in the UK. We signed up for a free trial and watched all of Breaking Bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Even here in the UK? And can subscribers watch all episodes/series of Breaking Bad, House Of Cards for that £6.99 fee? I'm hearing they vary whats available depending which country people are in.

Yes, You can watch every episode if BB and HOC for just £6.99 a month. I was amazed when I first signed up as well.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathh70 wrote: »
    Yes even in the UK. We signed up for a free trial and watched all of Breaking Bad.

me too :)
  • Options
    MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Different content is available in different countries, or maybe released on different dates, but all the shows you mentioned are available to the UK, plus a whole load more.
    I think we are paying 6.99 per month for 2 concurrent users (e.g one using netflix on the tv, someone else watching on their ipad at the same time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch Netflix from another country its not illegal and Netflix have said they are not blocking it,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I subscribed to Amazon prime some time ago and I'm realising that whatever is available to watch on one of them is not really available on the others.

Btw, anyone else finding DS slow to load since last night? Its taking ages to open new pages, but other websites are ok. :confused:
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I subscribed to Amazon prime some time ago and I'm realising that whatever is available to watch on one of them is not really available on the others.

This is the problem I have. Currently a LoveFilmbyAmazon subscriber but also have Netflix free for six months. (thanks, VM!)

The problem is that the films I get on disc aren't on either service yet and, when they do become available, I don't know which one they're going to be on!

What I think I mean is, if I get a film on disc through LoveFilmbyAmazon, what are the chances that that film will be available on their own streaming service and not Netflix?

Do they buy the rights to both at the same time?
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to try the free month with Netflix, but I'm also confused as to what content is common across both.

I'm assuming that the commissioned by Amazon stuff like Bosch Ripper Street etc may not be available on Netflix - If I do want bang for my buck I'd prefer to use the one that casts its net furthest.

And as a side issue do they have current shows too - eg when game of thrones starts will this be released week by week on either ptatform?

Sorry if I have hijacked the thread, but maybe any answers would help the OP too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is the problem I have. Currently a LoveFilmbyAmazon subscriber but also have Netflix free for six months. (thanks, VM!)

The problem is that the films I get on disc aren't on either service yet and, when they do become available, I don't know which one they're going to be on!

What I think I mean is, if I get a film on disc through LoveFilmbyAmazon, what are the chances that that film will be available on their own streaming service and not Netflix?

Do they buy the rights to both at the same time?

Going by what is available and what incurs extra charges, I think that only one of them has the rights to a programme/film at any one time. If another service shows the same programme/film, then they/we often have to pay extra for it. I include Sky in this too and what is/isn't available on their on demand services.
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    I'm tempted to try the free month with Netflix, but I'm also confused as to what content is common across both.

I'm assuming that the commissioned by Amazon stuff like Bosch Ripper Street etc may not be available on Netflix - If I do want bang for my buck I'd prefer to use the one that casts its net furthest.

And as a side issue do they have current shows too - eg when game of thrones starts will this be released week by week on either ptatform?

Sorry if I have hijacked the thread, but maybe any answers would help the OP
    too.

That's fine, ask away.
  • Options
    LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch Netflix from another country its not illegal and Netflix have said they are not blocking it,.

I have the US Netflix on my TV. Best find ever. I can still access the UK one if I want to, as well.
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you pay money when you can download any show for free?
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    odz1 wrote: »

So that High Quality content (and for that matter low quality content) will continue to be made!

In life there is no such thing as a free lunch.
  • Options
    Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Btw, anyone else finding DS slow to load since last night? Its taking ages to open new pages, but other websites are ok. :confused:

Another thing to take into account is that the monthly Netflix subscription gives you access to everything on Netflix.

With Amazon Prime Instant there are a number of TV series where Amazon will give you the first few season for free but then will want to charge you extra to continue watching the series (one example is the US Political drama 'Boss' where the first season was & still is free with Amazon Prime Instant , but until a couple of months ago amazon wanted to charge an extra £1.89 an episode to watch the second and final season.)
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that High Quality content (and for that matter low quality content) will continue to be made!

In life there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Strange comment- Can get all shows in HQ if needed on right site. 5min download nay bother.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Never tried it, youtube aside, I doubt its an easy process. Even youtube I think is a bit of a pain trying to find things sometimes.

I doubt downloading programmes/series in chronological order is easy and surely there is a risk of some kind of comeback for downloading things in that way too?
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »

Sorry if I have hijacked the thread, but maybe any answers would help the OP too.
    It's all a matte of exclusives.

If Amazon have commissioned and paid for an exclusive series like Ripper Street or Transparent then they are not about to hand it over to Netflix, so no you can't watch that anywhere other than Amazon.

Similarly after Netflik pay for exclusive series like Orange is the New Black or Daredevil then that's the only place you are going to see it.

And having paid big bucks to show Game of Thrones exclusively in the UK and made it a huge part of their marketing tool that is Sky Atlantic, Sky would be less than chuffed it is then turned up on Netflik. So no, neither system shows any series of that at all.

Occasionally there are some rare simultaneous showings on both TV and Netflix/Amazon but it's not usually simultaneous with UK to. A recent example has been Constantine on Amazon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst this may be easily disproved with actual facts, after using both for over a year my view is that Netflik is better (for me at least).

Whilst both have a large body of work; Amazon seems to have more content but Netflik seems to have better content. For example Netflik carries a number of Marvel Superhero films, both Hobbit films and a few Disney films

Netflix also seems to have the edge in TV series, UK content (films and TV) and children's shows (such as CBBC shows).

Amazon does win with recent Anerican shows like Agents of Shield, Arrow and Sleepy Hollow.

Neither has the edge on showing very recent films, both not surprisingly are heavily weighted towards older content.

To me there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of overlap, as not a lot of content appears on both. There are some really annoying splits where Netflik shows early series whilst Amazon has the later ones (like Californication).

So it may be down to the viewing habits of both my daughters and I but Netflik has certainly been watched more.

(Now my years contract of Prime has ended, although it seems to have lasted 15 or 16 months, and with the recent increase in it's cost I'll be stopping Prime but keeping Netflik. Of course the fact that Netflik is easy to watch through my Virgin TiVo whilst Amazon isn't may also be a reason why I watch far more of that than Amazon...although my daughters watching is generally done via phone and tablet)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is also a part of Amazon that is either annoying or great depending on your viewpoint.

As well as access to all the free content (just like Netflix), Amazon also lets you access a much wider catalogue of work but only when rented/purchased. This is great for seeing more films/series of course but can be annoying when it lures you in series 1 of a show only to then tempts you by showing you all the episodes for series 2 and 3...but makes you pay for those. :p
  • Options
    MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member

Quite simple for me. It is a moral issue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its only £6.99 a month, you get UHD quality on Netflix series and its only £6.99 a month, why would you not pay that and go to some dodgy streaming site giving money to criminals. Did I mention its only £6.99 a month.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member

For now but Netflix are under huge pressure to stop people watching content from the wrong region e.g. UK customers viewing the US library. Only a matter of time before accounts are locked to the billing country.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am not interested in piracy - to me netflix gives a good service at a modest price, and do not have to spend my life hunting around. I have watched many shows on netflix which I have never even heard of. I just read synopsis, think that looks interesting and click to watch.

Problem with pirate downloading, you have to know here to go, what you are looking for etc, plus additional risks virus, malware etc.

To much hassle. Besides if guys like you supported netflix, we could get an even better selection.