New Keanu Reeves film "John Wick"

2»

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a decent movie. Very enjoyable. I can see them doing another one.. although there is always a risk that it's never as good as the original but I'd like to see more.

At times some of the gun combat felt a little.. odd. As if certain characters were sort of left hanging waiting to be shot. But I think that's part of the "Gun-Fu" style of combat and isn't to be taken too seriously. For example I found myself thinking "He's an assassin.. he'd surely be counting his shots.. so why would he be caught short on bullets" but again.. it all adds to the fight scenes. There is a sort of anime feel to it all too.

Well worth a watch.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    It's a decent movie. Very enjoyable. I can see them doing another one.. although there is always a risk that it's never as good as the original but I'd like to see more.

At times some of the gun combat felt a little.. odd. As if certain characters were sort of left hanging waiting to be shot. But I think that's part of the "Gun-Fu" style of combat and isn't to be taken too seriously. For example I found myself thinking "He's an assassin.. he'd surely be counting his shots.. so why would he be caught short on bullets" but again.. it all adds to the fight scenes. There is a sort of anime feel to it all too.

Well worth a watch.
    Yeah, i said to the missus, 20 mins ago he was slaying rooms full of fit young men, then at the end he is struggling to defeat 1 pensioner, of course they had to do that for dramatic effect.

but overall a good film i thought.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Yeah, i said to the missus, 20 mins ago he was slaying rooms full of fit young men, then at the end he is struggling to defeat 1 pensioner, of course they had to do that for dramatic effect.

but overall a good film i thought.

That somewhat anti-climactic ending and some clichéd Russian villains were the only slightly dodgy elements, but apart from that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Normally movies put together by stunt people are guaranteed to suck...but this was an exception. Kind of made Keanu cool again, seemed to trade off his Matrix persona to a degree.

Incredible action sequences, good cast, great score, nice use of NY locations and some really cool classic cars on display too...Mustang, Dodge Chargers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something I learnt today which blew my mind a little.. Keanu is 50.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just watched it ,

call me a nerd lol ,,,,,,,,, but like commando and rambo , i need to watch this again and try to count how many people he kills overall ,,,,,,,,,, guessing here but must be 25 in the nightclub scene alone
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this again tonight.

For a film that is only 100 minutes long, there is an awful lot going on and you keep picking up on all sorts of influences first time round, so it warrants a second viewing.

In terms of movie influences, this time round I noticed a very big nod to John Woo movies, especially The Killer (even has a scene in a church), Equilibrium (in the way Reeves handles his guns), Heat (a shootout at the back of the church), Collateral (the way Reeves moves while holding his gun and taking out bad guys), Drive (with the emphasis on cool cars and the lone assassin), and also hints of Point Blank/Payback.

What I also noticed second time round is how inconsistent the action sequences are. Not meant as a disparaging comment, what I mean is Reeves character does not always dispatch his enemies with ease. Sometimes he struggles awkwardly, sometimes he fumbles, he even gets shot/stabbed and also captured.

What I liked about that was sometimes he looks cool and unstoppable and you get caught up in the adrenalin of the scene, but in some scenes you cringe at how he sometimes messes up and struggles to get out of sticky situations.
  • FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reeves at his best 3.5/5
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    just watched it ,

call me a nerd lol ,,,,,,,,, but like commando and rambo , i need to watch this again and try to count how many people he kills overall ,,,,,,,,,, guessing here but must be 25 in the nightclub scene alone

I read it was 83 in total.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trayhop123 wrote: »
    just watched it ,

I read this on another site

''With a body count of 84, John Wick is the seventh most prolific movie killer of all time, one place below Rambo and one above John Matrix, the commando played by Arnold Schwarzenegger''

Watched this at the weekend and was surprised, I really loved it :D was quite funny in places but the scene that started it all was hard to watch :(
  • MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    John Wick is out on Blu Ray in the US now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a second film is all but guaranteed now. Directors are talking about it.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/john-wick-sequel/17849
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    John Wick is out on Blu Ray in the US now!

Yup, order it from Amazon US here .. while we wait until April for a cinema release. Bloody ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Wick-Blu-ray-Keanu-Reeves/dp/B00OV3VGP0
    Sounds like a second film is all but guaranteed now. Directors are talking about it.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/john-wick-sequel/17849

The term "Gun Fu" isn't new - I believe they coined the term in the film 'Equilibrium' that starred Christian Bale.

I'm sort of happy there's probably going to be a sequel, but i still kind of wish they'd leave it at one.
  • trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read this on another site

''With a body count of 84, John Wick is the seventh most prolific movie killer of all time, one place below Rambo and one above John Matrix, the commando played by Arnold Schwarzenegger''

Watched this at the weekend and was surprised, I really loved it :D was quite funny in places but the scene that started it all was hard to watch :(

wow , thanks mate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the 'teasers' they gave in the film about what John Wick did to become this most feared opponent - iirc surviving a guaranteed suicide mission - the writers have given them the perfect storyline for a Wick #0 movie. QED.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if many other cinemas are showing John Wick as Avengers and Fast/Furious 7 seem to have taken over most screens, but this is still playing at my local Cineworld.

Welcome back Keanu Reeves! Reeves doing what he does best - shooting guns, beating up bad guys and teaching people a lesson! Excellent action film. You realise just how much you miss seeing Reeves on screen as i haven't seen him in anything in a LONG time!

He's really, really good in this. Some good one-lines and for once you can actually see ALL the action. No shaky camera, quick edits and the like. You watch it unfold and you clearly see who's fighting/shooting at/beating up who.

Plus some appearances from fine character actors like Willen Dafoe, Ian McShane, Lance Reddick and Michael Nyqvist. Alfie Allen from Game of Thrones plays a right scumbag in this and Adrianne Palicki is seriously hot playing an assassin. I can now see why she's allegedly going to get her own Agents of Shield spin-off show. She kicks ass!

When i'm 50, i want to look like Keanu Reeves. Roll on John Wick 2!