dazcdazc Posts: 4,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Knock Out For Glovkin Amazing Dont Get People Having A Go At Him
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else on here find Hagler's petty attitude towards the other Four Kings highly annoying?

Also his constant whining about the Leonard decision got old very quickly - Ray was a welterweight coming in from a three year lay off - Marvin has no one to blame but himself.

Tommy and Ray are good friends now and Duran is very civil towards them.

I just wish Hearns had not broken his hand in the first minute - what a fight we could have had!

Perhaps if Hagler had moved up to fight Spinks or Qawi he would have learned a bit of respect and humility for other fighters moving up to face the best?

Ray, Tommy and Roberto did the same to fight him after all.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else on here find Hagler's petty attitude towards the other Four Kings highly annoying?

Also his constant whining about the Leonard decision got old very quickly - Ray was a welterweight coming in from a three year lay off - Marvin has no one to blame but himself.

Tommy and Ray are good friends now and Duran is very civil towards them.

I just wish Hearns had not broken his hand in the first minute - what a fight we could have had!

Perhaps if Hagler had moved up to fight Spinks or Qawi he would have learned a bit of respect and humility for other fighters moving up to face the best?

Ray, Tommy and Roberto did the same to fight him after all.

I'm with you.

Hagler's whining about the Leonard fight is indeed tiresome, especially as it was 28 years ago & they're all ageing men in their late 50s & early 60s now.

Leonard out-psyched him before & during the fight.

It started when Team Leonard allowed Marvin to have the biggest share of the purse, knowing how obsessed Marvin was with a big payday, whilst Leonard negotiated all the really important things in his favour.

Also, during the fight, Hagler was to obsessed with proving that he was 'the man', rather than getting on & winning the fight.

By the time he realised he needed to fight, Leonard was in the groove & had gained confidence.

Hagler blew it that night & deep down, I think he knows it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Cotto but I'm hoping Geale beats him tbh, he's holding everything up at middleweight. GGG v Canelo needs to happen, but it won't while Cotto is hanging around.

Spot on.

I've always been a Cotto fan, but he's past his best now & he's not a middleweight, even though he is the 'champion'.

Golovkin -v- Alvarez is the only fight at 160 that excites me, as Golovkin has pretty much wiped out all the competition & it's hardly stellar at that.

It's not Golovkin's fault of course, as he can only fight who is around at the time, but he really needs a top quality opponent, then it will confirm his greatness if he wins in style.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazc wrote: »
    Another Knock Out For Glovkin Amazing Dont Get People Having A Go At Him

he's good at knocking out bums. got to give him credit on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you.

Hagler's whining about the Leonard fight is indeed tiresome, especially as it was 28 years ago & they're all ageing men in their late 50s & early 60s now.

Leonard out-psyched him before & during the fight.

It started when Team Leonard allowed Marvin to have the biggest share of the purse, knowing how obsessed Marvin was with a big payday, whilst Leonard negotiated all the really important things in his favour.

Also, during the fight, Hagler was to obsessed with proving that he was 'the man', rather than getting on & winning the fight.

By the time he realised he needed to fight, Leonard was in the groove & had gained confidence.

Hagler blew it that night & deep down, I think he knows it.

A very good post.

I do think he knows deep down that he lost fair and square but will never admit it to himself.

I have been pondering if any middleweight in history could have KO'd Hagler and cannot really come up with a convincing case for anyone.

Although if he had moved up to face Spinks or Qawi things could have been very interesting - let alone a fantasy matchup between him and Foster (poor Dick Tiger) or especially a prime light heavy Ezzard Charles. :)
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to Degale V Direll. I think Direll will take it on points but I'm hoping for Degale. I wonder if Froch would fight Degale if he wins? There's talk of GGG moving up to fight Froch - that would be the one last superfight that Froch seems to want and the one superfight that GGG deserves but I don't think it's realistic. GGG is a natural middleweight (otherwise surely he would have gone up by now) and Froch wants a famous name, hence the ill-concieved future bout with Julio CC Jr.

mcg3 wrote: »
    Time AJ's team got him into the ring with some credible opponents.

I'm gonna predict AJ demolish's Kevin Johnson within 3 rounds.

Said it before, AJ can only beat whoever is put in front of him but they seriously need to step up the quality of opponent.

That said, AJ looks like being a great prospect.

I've been so disappointed by Fraudley Harrison and David "Poundshop" Price that I'm reluctant to ring the bell for AJ but he does look at great prospect. Which is why I'm happy for him to slowly step up in standard rather than rush. LOTS of big fights on the cards for him later....

BTW syntax and others, it was a pleasure to read the speculation of the last two pages but Marvin beats GGG. As good (great) as GGG is, he hasn't quite faced the punchers that MM has and won.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

I have been pondering if any middleweight in history could have KO'd Hagler and cannot really come up with a convincing case for anyone.

I don't know about knocking him out, but I do think a peak time, top form, Roy Jones would have given Hagler a right old thrashing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »
    I don't know about knocking him out, but I do think a peak time, top form, Roy Jones would have given Hagler a right old thrashing.

Do you know that, Jones failed a drug test twice in his career. Once for Ephedrine and the other for a Steroid.

Hagler was a true champion.

He could never beat Hagler fair and square.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dixon wrote: »

Probably he could win comfortably but I cannot see anyone really thrashing Hagler.

I forget about Jones a lot because I never saw any of his fights on TV but from the brief clips I have viewed his hand speed was simply incredible - I may have to catch up on youtube when I have the time.

As for a possible GGG v Froch matchup - I expect another very dull contest as these two fighters have to be the most safety first and boring in the entire sport. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

A very good post.

I do think he knows deep down that he lost fair and square but will never admit it to himself.

Although if he had moved up to face Spinks or Qawi things could have been very interesting - let alone a fantasy matchup between him and Foster (poor Dick Tiger) or especially a prime light heavy Ezzard Charles. :)

I'm in agreement; no MW is history KOs Hagler, although Julian Jackson & Stanley Ketchel might have had the best shot.

Jackson especially had mind numbing power, but Hagler proved he could take big punches & give them back with interest.

Spinks & Qawi would have had too much for Hagler I think.

Hagler sees the final bell, as I can't imagine anyone felling him, but those two were truly great light-heavyweights & in Spinks' case especially, a match for any light-heavyweight in history.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in agreement; no MW is history KOs Hagler, although Julian Jackson & Stanley Ketchel might have had the best shot.

Jackson especially had mind numbing power, but Hagler proved he could take big punches & give them back with interest.

Spinks & Qawi would have had too much for Hagler I think.

Hagler sees the final bell, as I can't imagine anyone felling him, but those two were truly great light-heavyweights & in Spinks' case especially, a match for any light-heavyweight in history.

Ketchel was a mean bastard wasn't he? :D

Jackson would have the best chance but McCallum took his shots and I would expect that Hagler could do the same.

I also think a maximum leverage Hearns right (Duran style) could have really hurt Hagler - but I cannot see anyone under light heavyweight actually KO'ing him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ketchel was a mean bastard wasn't he? :D

Jackson would have the best chance but McCallum took his shots and I would expect that Hagler could do the same.

I also think a maximum leverage Hearns right (Duran style) could have really hurt Hagler - but I cannot see anyone under light heavyweight actually KO'ing him.

Ketchel certainly put the mean in mean!:D

I wish Ketchel was around in the latter day fight game; and Harry Greb too.

They were real hardened & grizzled fighters that didn't give an inch.

Hagler (or any MW in history) would have had his work cut out against those two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ketchel certainly put the mean in mean!:D

I wish Ketchel was around in the latter day fight game; and Harry Greb too.

They were real hardened & grizzled fighters that didn't give an inch.

Hagler (or any MW in history) would have had his work cut out against those two.

Greb would have beaten Hagler on points in my opinion - hard is not a big enough word to describe that bugger - one of (if not the) the greatest pound for pound fighters in the history of the sport.

What a shame he is forgotten today amongst the casual fans. :(
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to Degale V Direll. I think Direll will take it on points but I'm hoping for Degale. I wonder if Froch would fight Degale if he wins? There's talk of GGG moving up to fight Froch - that would be the one last superfight that Froch seems to want and the one superfight that GGG deserves but I don't think it's realistic. GGG is a natural middleweight (otherwise surely he would have gone up by now) and Froch wants a famous name, hence the ill-concieved future bout with Julio CC Jr.

Agreed, i believe Dirrell will just have too much experience for Degale.

Big Scottish heavyweight hope Gary Cornish fights Zoltan Csala tonight for the vacant I.B.O. international title.

I no its a nothing title but it will hopefully let us see if big Gary has any real prospects in the HW division.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed, i believe Dirrell will just have too much experience for Degale.

Big Scottish heavyweight hope Gary Cornish fights Zoltan Csala tonight for the vacant I.B.O. international title.

I no its a nothing title but it will hopefully let us see if big Gary has any real prospects in the HW division.

I have a sneaking suspicion DeGale could do it tonight.

We will see.

The fight is on Radio 5 Live shortly. :)
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greb would have beaten Hagler on points in my opinion - hard is not a big enough word to describe that bugger - one of (if not the) the greatest pound for pound fighters in the history of the sport.

What a shame he is forgotten today amongst the casual fans. :(

Apparently Greb boxed a good few fights blind in one eye and diminished sight in the other. He had almost 300 fights in his career and only 17 losses with only 2 of them being by TKO. In one of those TKOs a bone was broken in one of his arms and he still finished the round. Yep, he certainly was one mean hard bugger to say the least. Along with Jimmy Wilde - Harry Greb is one of my favorites!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All to play for in this last round. Degale's best performance considering the level of opposition but what a comeback for Direll....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Degale got it... probably a split decision...but there has to be a rematch
  • Options
    mcg3mcg3 Posts: 11,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have a sneaking suspicion DeGale could do it tonight.

We will see.

The fight is on Radio 5 Live shortly. :)

Good call.

Would like to see Froch vs Degale now as Froch's final fight if he decides to fight on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice one James! Did it away from home as well. And well called Keyser Sose ;-) Don't know what fight the judge who scored it 117-109 was watching but I do think it was the right decision. The Degale V Froch fight is on :p Groves V Degale 2 is possibly on as well. Megabrit fights galore to come :D

Direll answered a few questions about his heart though.
  • Options
    Role ModelRole Model Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a fight. Great win for Degale. Olympic Gold and now World Champion. Top man. Bring on Degale v Froch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice one James! Did it away from home as well. And well called Keyser Sose ;-) Don't know what fight the judge who scored it 117-109 was watching but I do think it was the right decision. The Degale V Froch fight is on :p Groves V Degale 2 is possibly on as well. Megabrit fights galore to come :D

Direll answered a few questions about his heart though.

Very, very close but DeGale just nicked it. :)

As for that judge he is not the first to be watching or listening to a totally different fight to the rest of us. :D
  • Options
    Tip top 2Tip top 2 Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations to James De Gale and his world title win. I tipped him a while ago, and think he would beat George Groves. Keep that belt!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tip top 2 wrote: »
    Congratulations to James De Gale and his world title win. I tipped him a while ago, and think he would beat George Groves. Keep that belt!

I think he knocks Groves out if the two of them meet again. I think Froch V Groves 1 was peak Groves and Froch knocked the stuffing out of him in the second fight.