American Idol: Live Show 2 (Top 9) Discussion/Lead Up

Comments

• linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Eleanor Rigby, it's my fave Beatles song.. Paul sounded better in rehearsals.....

Mariah waffles on and says you can't go wrong when choosing a Beatles song, but invariably, the Idols do, and the guys have tonight.
  • DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back...

That place certainly looks bare....and bet the critters are in hiding. ;)

Eleanor Rigby....another well known song....Paul....who sang 1st part as if he was elsewhere....nice ending though with feeling

6/10

He was right re not wanting to make a Beatles' song country style, as it wouldn't fit. But don't think this song suited him for all he said, re listening to the lyrics, as he didn't show emotion when it was needed, mo.

ads
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to...

Angie and Yesterday....indeed Jimmy...be natural...let's see :)

Glad she changed the gender. :D Held the note well, but was it necessary...but she lacks real emotion, as acting it isn't the same. Overall wasn't too bad...

7/10

Respectable version Mariah? :D
  • ellie4265ellie4265 Posts: 1,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Angie. I think she was lucky to get a good song to sing tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could sit and look at Keith all day long.......;)

I like Angie, good choice for her although at times, she seemed to disconnect with it emotionally, and it would sound a bit Glee-like.

Or pretty much what you said Dix - and Keith. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back...

to

Devin the nobody. ;) But he's someone on Idol :D

He's got a nice vocal tone...The long and winding road...think he's changed the song a bit, but it's ok, as it probably needs an edge. :D Mind you, don't think it's his type of song really.

8/10 for his vocal tones :)

Audience liked it anyhow. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Devin's voice and that was a good choice. But, I hated those runs he put into it.
    Dix wrote: »
    Back...

to

Devin the nobody
    . ;) But he's someone on Idol :D

He's got a nice vocal tone...The long and winding road...think he's changed the song a bit, but it's ok, as it probably needs an edge. :D Mind you, don't think it's his type of song really.

8/10 for his vocal tones :)

Audience liked it anyhow. :)

Ooh Dix, that's harsh :eek: :D

I did think Nicki actually said 'penis' instead of pianist at first! :eek::D LOL

Just out of interest, are most of the Idols from the usual Southern-winning states? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    I could sit and look at Keith all day long.......;)

I like Angie, good choice for her although at times, she seemed to disconnect with it emotionally, and it would sound a bit Glee-like.

Or pretty much what you said Dix - and Keith. :D

lol hear her...penis! for pianist! lol:D:D

I take it Keith is that hunky judge? Re Angie, it's what she said how she'd only give the right amount of emotion, but emotion is natural, comes out when there's something to be emotional about, and when you're singing and know a song/lyrics emotion comes out. So I reckon she measured it, when she didn't have to.

ads
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol hear her...penis! for pianist! lol:D:D

I take it Keith is that hunky judge? Re Angie, it's what she said how she'd only give the right amount of emotion, but emotion is natural, comes out when there's something to be emotional about, and when you're singing and know a song/lyrics emotion comes out. So I reckon she measured it, when she didn't have to.

ads

Well it's certainly not Randy! :eek: :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Devin's voice and that was a good choice. But, I hated those runs he put into it.

Ooh Dix, that's harsh :eek: :D

I did think Nicki actually said 'penis' instead of pianist at first! :eek::D LOL

Just out of interest, are most of the Idols from the usual Southern-winning states? ;)

But he said it 1st, and I didn't think so as he's on telly....:)

Dunno re Southern states though....must check it out later. :)

A Ballad from a sweet voiced Janelle....but don't know that song...not bad...8/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Janelle, and think she'll be a bit like Haley Reinhart and really come into her own over the coming weeks (provided she's kept in of course). She looks lovely tonight too :)

I really like the addition of Keith and Nicki to the panel - they give out good advice and constructive criticism, and if they're not keen on the performance they'll at least say it.

This is definitely a girls' season - the guys don't stand a chance, unless they start pulling up their socks!

If Lazaro isn't in the sing-off tomorrow night I will be shocked :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek
    Well it's certainly not Randy! :eek: :p

Oh yeah, just got it..one other male there...brain got addled...:eek::o When those female judges start talking, my brain clouds over. Will remember Keith for sure now. :D

Sounds like show is over....and overall it wasn't too bad, and we got a laugh too. :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed watching it with you all - 'see' you tomorrow! Night night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek

Oh yeah, just got it..one other male there...brain got addled...:eek::o When those female judges start talking, my brain clouds over. Will remember Keith for sure now. :D

Sounds like show is over....and overall it wasn't too bad, and we got a laugh too. :D:D

Ohh Dix.... :D

Mariah does waffle on a bit.....zzzz :p
    ellie4265 wrote: »
    Enjoyed watching it with you all - 'see' you tomorrow! Night night.

Night ellie, see you tomorrow night. Looking forward to see what Casey's gonna do :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh Dix.... :D

Mariah does waffle on a bit.....zzzz :p

Night ellie, see you tomorrow night. Looking forward to see what Casey's gonna do :)

It's all the hand gestures, which makes one watch them as she speaks. Don't know of Nicki, but she's a scream at times. :D

nn and will be back for the res show, but did enjoy tonight as it was a pleasant diversion. :D

xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't abide all the adverts, so I'm watching as usual on the PVR. (I'll post my thoughts in 3's)

First up is Kree. What else can I say... I'm a Kreeliever! She seems incapable of disappointing.
    With a Little Help From My Friends is on the Sgt Pepper album (1967), written by Lennon/McCartney, sung by Ringo Starr.

Burnell did disappoint. I've liked him in the past, but this was pretty grim, he had no feel for this song at all, his tone was all wrong with just a few boring vocal runs. (Hasn't that jacket been on AI before?) Soul singers have done amazing versions of this song.
    Let it Be was from the album of the same name, released in 1970, sung by Paul McCartney.

Amber did a nice version, but I thought it could have been more subtle instead of rather plainly belted out. I haven't heard Candice yet, but I'd be amazed if Amber outlasts her in this competition.
    She's Leaving Home was from Sgt Pepper album (1967) sung by John Lennon. The original version has a beautiful vocal arrangement and a string ensemble backing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fast forward button again. Singers 4-6 here...

Lazaro's diction is terrible on this! The words are going by as if he's singing by rote in a foreign language (to judge by his parents' VT, arguably he is). He's out of his depth here.
    In My Life is from Rubber Soul (1965) and sung by John Lennon. It's one of my (and many people's) favourite Beatles songs.

Candice
    ! I want to go to St Helena Island, seems a nice place. She has such a great voice so obviously isn't going to screw up an up-tempo song like this.
    Come Together is the opening song from Abbey Road (1969), sung by John Lennon. The Beatles got away with a lot of nonsense in their lyrics and here's a typical example. Needless to say the Beatles' arrangement was far nuanced.

Paul does a good job, connecting well with the song, it's a pity there is a pressure to sing big notes instead of being sensitive. (Have to disagree with Randy).
    Eleanor Rigby, sung by Paul, was a very innovative song and musical arrangement at the time, backed only by a string quartet. It's from Revolver (1966), considering by serious music fans to be The Beatles' best album.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Burnell tonight, his version of Let It Be was true to the original, and his voice lended itself to the song well. He's got a gorgeous tone, he's by far my favourite of the boys.

Angie, Kree and Candice are unstoppable, but have a feeling Amber may be bottom two after that, it was quite dull. Janelle doesn't really register for me as a contender, I can't see anything that sets her apart. American Idol throws up a thousand Janelles every year, each one more uninspiring than the last.

Devin, the voice is incredible. I want him to go to town on show tunes, I think it's where his voice should lie. I don't think he'll get far in this competition, he's not really a pop artist, but he'd be pretty darn fabulous on the stage. Paul is a nice lad, he gave a good performance. Lazaro was pretty awful. I hope the public don't fall for the sympathy vote again, it'll be interesting if they take action knowing he placed fourth last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Angie surprised me, pleasantly. Her tone seemed different in a good way, and she really stayed in control, resisting the urge to over-sing.
    Yesterday is a Paul song from the album Help! (1965), with him on guitar and a string backing. It is regarded as the most covered song in music history. Ironically, nobody has had much success with it. It was a no. 1 single in the USA but The Beatles refused to release it as a single in the UK (it's essentially a Paul solo song).

Devin sings a bullet-proof classic ballad, one which generally flatters the singer. However I think it exposes his tone, which I don't think is that good. The RnB runs for the sake of it, is rather a mess. The judges are being far too kind, as I say it's a flattering song.
    The Long and Winding Road is a Paul song from Let It Be (1970 although actually recorded in 1968).

Janelle (or Jimmy!) chooses well. Very easy to add a country slant to this one, and she does a good but not a great job. Benefits from being in the right mood for the song.
    I Will feels like an early Beatles song, but it's a Paul song from The Beatles double album (1968).

And to summarise... I enjoyed the show. It seemed better than previous American Idol Beatles shows, mainly due to some nice song selections. It seems unlikely that last week's top 3 (Candice, Angie, Kree) will change. All three are a class ahead of the rest, and if it wasn't for having to fill a TV schedule they might as well send the rest home now.
  • allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow this forum is hidden! I am in love with Kree and Candice but then again I am always shocked at some of the winners America picks in favour of great singers such as Haley Reinhart, Jessica Sanchez and Katherine McPhee
    I hope the man that sang In My Life goes there was just no emotion to that beautiful song!
  • Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amber will be in the bottom 3 unfortunately but I just hope and pray she isn't bottom of the vote as the judges save won't be used on her. I think Devon and Paul will round off the bottom three with devin going home. Lazaro is god awful. I think he's staying in because he's so bad. If he was a bit better and on Paul's par then he would go tonight! But people feel sorry for him!

At least well definitely get a female winner this year. Most likely either candice or Angie (I think angie)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baroquepop, great recap, thanks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casey - whoo!! :D :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Ne-Yo's come straight from his church. Still wearing his vicar's dog collar...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bye Paul....there's no way you'll be getting saved with this sorry sing-off.