draft day , help please !!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
Forum Member
i am an avid sporty type film watcher , and enjoy almost all of them including a lot of baseball/american football type films even though i have hardly any clue about either sport as im from the UK . i plan to watch "draft day" a bit later tonight but would like to know exactly what is so big about this day in the US sports calender , can someone just give me a basic guide to why this is such a big day , thanks !!

Comments

• jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basically it's the "transfer window" for them, spread over several days, when the major league teams pick players from the college or freelance players
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    From what I gather the worst performing team in the NFL get first pick, and it goes down like that, so the best team get last pick. So what happens is a top team may be after a really good player, but know a lesser team are interested, so they will approach the other team and offer their own pick plus a financial incentive to swap picks. Or something like that.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My question would be "iiuc there's a big deal about being the person 1st picked in draft day, but surely being picked first means you're being picked by the worst team so why the big glory associated with it".

Also when one team trades their next years 1st pick to another team, that other team now have two 1st round picks, right ?! It's a trade rather than a swap, right ?!
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ But don't forget there's hundreds of players to choose from, so not every one will go at the first round, so if your number 1 the chances are some big team will swap there pick for a lesser teams pick plus add a hugh financial incentive to do that, so the top team gets the player they want and can afford to keep, the lower team still gets to pick from decent players plus now has several million in the bank too!

Or this is at least how I understand it. So to be the No1 draft pick means your the best new player in the country, so your going to have lots of teams fighting over you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ :facepalmsself: of course, getting the best means you can trade for goodies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    thanks for the info about what actually happens on draft day , i have now watched the film and found it quite enjoyable , perfect kind of role for kevin costner .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the movie ->
    I enjoyed it but felt disappointed we didn't get any epilogue text bit at the end where we found out just how we he did in the coming season. Then I realised this WASN'T based on a true story but a completely made-up story, which kinda took something away from it all, darn it.