Options

Should DTC stand for election?

Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
Forum Member
DTC is good at hyping things up, which end up falling flat when they actually happen. He makes sweeping claims that can't be backed up by any evidence. He is dogmatically attached to one solution (i.e. the Carters). He makes things up as he goes along and then acts like he meant it the whole time. He has media allies who parrot his spin without question. He has a loyal group of followers who believe he can do no wrong. He and his followers constantly hark back to how bad things were before him, in order to justify all his actions - "the mess he inherited", you might say. Also he is know by his initial letters, so that means his name can easily be worked into a nifty slogan or jingle.

It seems to me that DTC has all the classic makings of a politician and should be standing for Parliament, instead of wasting his talents on Eastenders. ;-)

Comments

• Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Great post! I love this thread! Don't forget about the way he insists that his failures have actually been successes.
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Great post! I love this thread! Don't forget about the way he insists that his failures have actually been successes.

*viewers react negatively to killer reveal*
    "Well, we wanted people to be talking about EastEnders, so we've actually succeeded."
  • Options
    TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or is the great and the good of DS insisting that successes have been failures?

I'd imagine those actually running the place have a better idea of what the wider audience think of storylines than the minority on an internet forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TellMeMore wrote: »

I'd imagine those actually running the place have a better idea of what the wider audience think of storylines than the minority on an internet forum.

Love those numbers and statistics.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How do you know that what we on this forum are thinking isn't what everyone else is thinking? :):)
  • Options
    LilyBLilyB Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    DTC is good at hyping things up, which end up falling flat when they actually happen. He makes sweeping claims that can't be backed up by any evidence. He is dogmatically attached to one solution (i.e. the Carters). He makes things up as he goes along and then acts like he meant it the whole time. He has media allies who parrot his spin without question. He has a loyal group of followers who believe he can do no wrong. He and his followers constantly hark back to how bad things were before him, in order to justify all his actions - "the mess he inherited", you might say. Also he is know by his initial letters, so that means his name can easily be worked into a nifty slogan or jingle.

It seems to me that DTC has all the classic makings of a politician and should be standing for Parliament, instead of wasting his talents on Eastenders. ;-)

:D Brilliant.

Has any other Eastenders EP drawn such an obsessed cult following or is he the first?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    How do you know that what we on this forum are thinking isn't what everyone else is thinking? :):)

And how do you know that what we on this forum are thinking is what everyone else is thinking? :kitty::kitty:

I'm not suggesting I know anything about what the wider audience thinks. I wouldn't be that arrogant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love those numbers and statistics.

Do you have numbers and statistics to back up your claims then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have numbers and statistics to back up your claims then?

No, which is just as well, because my post was an expression of opinion. No claims.

Wow. The OP was right about that loyal group of followers.:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LilyB wrote: »
    :D Brilliant.

Has any other Eastenders EP drawn such an obsessed cult following or is he the first?

Diedrick Santer was quite a phenomenon, but rightly so.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, which is just as well, because my post was an expression of opinion. No claims.

Wow. The OP was right about the loyal group of followers.:o:D

Is everyone who likes what DTC has done overall classed as a follower then? I think he's very good and there are issues to be addressed but he has made me enjoy the show again.

Tonight's episode was outstanding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is everyone who likes what DTC has done overall classed as a follower then? I think he's very good and there are issues to be addressed but he has made me enjoy the show again.

Tonight's episode was outstanding.

Tonight's episode was very good, but it was always going to be good, apart from the fact that Jim Branning was a side thought. All of a sudden Carol hates him again and they tainted his memory by bringing up his racist ways, even though he repented and became best friends with Patrick now newer viewers will think Jim was an all round nobhead.

I like DTC, in the same vein that you do so I wouldn't class anyone that liked him a follower, but there are certainly a few that become aggressively defensive over the decisions he makes and to them nobody is allowed to dislike a thing.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode was very good, but it was always going to be good, apart from the fact that Jim Branning was a side thought. All of a sudden Carol hates him again and they tainted his memory by bringing up his racist ways, even though he repented and became best friends with Patrick now newer viewers will think Jim was an all round nobhead.

I like DTC, in the same vein that you do so I wouldn't class anyone that liked him a follower, but there are certainly a few that become aggressively defensive over the decisions he makes and to them nobody is allowed to dislike a thing.

Fair points GI!
  • Options
    Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The irritating thing about DTC is that he has the potential as he has proved, but sadly his complacent attitude towards the Carters, tarnishes the show slightly. It goes without saying that Stacey feels sedate and taking Dean down the path of rape was a very big mistake. On paper, yes it showed signs of promise of being a dark and gripping storyline, but sadly this wasn't reflected the same on-screen.

The likes of Samantha Janus/Womack (Ronnie) Steve McFadden (Phil) and Adam Woodyat (Ian) really need to be given a strict dressing down about taking breaks for panto or any other reasons that aren't serious! It ruins continuity and the pace of storylines, and let's face it - Ronnie hasn't featured at all this year, well technically she has, but you see where I'm going with this. Seriously though, when actors do this, to some it might be viewed as wanting to explore other acting roles, but to me it shows that little commitment is being shown, so this really needs evaluating!

But back onto DTC, he has always came across as being somewhat cocky. Yes, the anniversary was great, but it wasn't out of this world spectacular and as for the Carters... A future EP will definitely sideline them! Lee, Nancy, Tina and Linda (in my opinion) have reached a dead-end. Linda needs to be toned down and act as a supporting character for at least 5-7 months until we've had a rest from her. They are trying too hard to replicate her into Angie and it's embarrassing, not to mention an insult to long-serving actors who are merely just being used for filler episodes it would seem!
  • Options
    Edward_QuackensEdward_Quackens Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    And it is absolutely vital what those newer views think about a character that left the show in 2011.
    Don't worry I'm sure lots of respect and fond memories of Jim will be shown in the upcoming funeral episodes.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great episode tonight, but I agree with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The irritating thing about DTC is that he has the potential as he has proved, but sadly his complacent attitude towards the Carters, tarnishes the show slightly. It goes without saying that Stacey feels sedate and taking Dean down the path of rape was a very big mistake. On paper, yes it showed signs of promise of being a dark and gripping storyline, but sadly this wasn't reflected the same on-screen.

The likes of Samantha Janus/Womack (Ronnie) Steve McFadden (Phil) and Adam Woodyat (Ian) really need to be given a strict dressing down about taking breaks for panto or any other reasons that aren't serious! It ruins continuity and the pace of storylines, and let's face it - Ronnie hasn't featured at all this year, well technically she has, but you see where I'm going with this. Seriously though, when actors do this, to some it might be viewed as wanting to explore other acting roles, but to me it shows that little commitment is being shown, so this really needs evaluating!

But back onto DTC, he has always came across as being somewhat cocky. Yes, the anniversary was great, but it wasn't out of this world spectacular and as for the Carters... A future EP will definitely sideline them! Lee, Nancy, Tina and Linda (in my opinion) have reached a dead-end. Linda needs to be toned down and act as a supporting character for at least 5-7 months until we've had a rest from her. They are trying too hard to replicate her into Angie and it's embarrassing, not to mention an insult to long-serving actors who are merely just being used for filler episodes it would seem!

I agree with all of this. Especially what you've said about Linda. I can see her character going downhill very soon. There's nowhere to go with her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with all of this. Especially what you've said about Linda. I can see her character going downhill very soon. There's nowhere to go with her.

I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly with Linda which pi**es me off, but it's probably the constant gurning, frowning, eye-rolling and unpleasantness. Also, the friendship between her and Sharon is utterly contrived. Sharon works best with men, she's always been a bit of a tom-boy, so she needs to stay clear from close bonds with females. After the forced pairing with her and Tanya, I thought DTC would have learnt something, but try telling that to a man who can't look beyond his own creation. Also, as sweet as it is for DTC to loosely base the Carters on his own family, nobody wants to feel as though they're watching a DTC biopic, so DTC, if you or your team are reading this, wake-up and start balancing the show out. I seriously cannot wait until a new producer takes the helm! Yes, I know that sounds like a "oh here we go again" statement, but I can't remember any former EP's (yes, even Kirkwood and Newman) carrying out block-storytelling to such a mind-numbing extent! Even the Branning dominance (2012-2013) was slightly more bearable than the Carter show!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not entirely sure what it is exactly with Linda which pi**es me off, but it's probably the constant gurning, frowning, eye-rolling and unpleasantness. Also, the friendship between her and Sharon is utterly contrived. Sharon works best with men, she's always been a bit of a tom-boy, so she needs to stay clear from close bonds with females. After the forced pairing with her and Tanya, I thought DTC would have learnt something, but try telling that to a man who can't look beyond his own creation. Also, as sweet as it is for DTC to loosely base the Carters on his own family, nobody wants to feel as though they're watching a DTC biopic, so DTC, if you or your team are reading this, wake-up and start balancing the show out. I seriously cannot wait until a new producer takes the helm! Yes, I know that sounds like a "oh here we go again" statement, but I can't remember any former EP's (yes, even Kirkwood and Newman) carrying out block-storytelling to such a mind-numbing extent! Even the Branning dominance (2012-2013) was slightly more bearable than the Carter show!

This!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Diedrick Santer was quite a phenomenon, but rightly so.

Santer and John Yorke were both brilliant producers, DTC doesn't come close in my opinion, the hero worship is baffling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LilyB wrote: »
    Santer and John Yorke were both brilliant producers, DTC doesn't come close in my opinion, the hero worship is baffling.

You have to hand it to DTC though! He did manage to turn the show around from a truly poor place. The only problem is everybody seems to be hanging onto this one good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You have to hand it to DTC though! He did manage to turn the show around from a truly poor place. The only problem is everybody seems to be hanging onto this one good.

Yes, he's done some good things and he's better than Kirkwood and Newman (not difficult!) but the ratings are very average, his obsession with the Carter family is detrimental to the overall show, there is no natural flow to the stories, the pacing is off and he struggles to bring most of his ideas to life on screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm, at the start, yes, but this could now be called into question. The Carters, the slow pace of storytelling and character development are weighing the show down and this has now reflected the ratings (yet again). The anniversary was the perfect oppurtunity to regain casual and existing viewers and the ratings were still pretty high a week after the live week, but as absolutely nothing happened (storyline wise) people desserted the show once again. DTC underestimated the public when he thought he'd put everything into anniversary week, and then leave filler for the next 8 weeks, it doesn't work like that and he contradicted himself massively when he stated that there would be an aftermath to Lucy's murder, err...perhaps I was watching a different show because I definitely failed to see one.

Dominic lacks imagination. He is really good at referencing past characters and situations, but when it comes to storytelling, it all feels a bit "been there, done that". I honeslty thought he'd pull some truly amazing storylines out of the bag, but since his tenure - he hasn't and this is very worrying considering he'll now be in the position almost 2 years! Just out of interest, how much longer can you see DTC sticking around for and realistically, who could you see his successor being? A lot of peoe will probably say Sarah Phelps, but I just can't see her wanting to take on that role...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder how much of the problem is Alex Lamb? Perhaps he's the guy meant to be coming up with the big story ideas but isn't very good.
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love what DTC has done with Eastenders but I actually like the parallels that you've pointed out here. Honestly nobody is perfect, things always weren't going to go down in our views as they did in DTC's and that's the way of live really.