Options

How do people remember Jade Goody?

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
Forum Member
✭✭
What is Jade Goody's lasting legacy? Was it the controversial racism row, her love triangle with Jeff Brazier and Jack Tweed or her tragic demise from cancer? Despite being a controversial character, people really felt sympathy for Jade's battle with cancer and only took to her when she was dying

How do people remember Jade Goody? 336 votes

Racism row
56% 189 votes
Love triangle with Jeff Brazier and Jack Tweedy
1% 4 votes
Tragic demise from cancer
42% 143 votes

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I thought it was odd the way the media changed.

One day she was the bitch queen from hell and was a complete and utter embarrassment to England.

Then the next day it was found she had cancer and the very same media was saying how great she was and how she was Englands Rose.

Now I never liked her I don't think she deserved cancer and am sorry she died but that didn't mean she wasn't a nasty woman.
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was odd the way the media changed.

One day she was the bitch queen from hell and was a complete and utter embarrassment to England.

Then the next day it was found she had cancer and the very same media was saying how great she was and how she was Englands Rose.

Now I never liked her I don't think she deserved cancer and am sorry she died but that didn't mean she wasn't a nasty woman.

I don't think she was nasty - she just had a cr*p upbringing. She was made by the media and broken by the media. I think her story is quite tragic.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually remember her best from Big Brother.

I think she made her peace after the Shilpa Shetty incident whereas others managed to toady away with less hassle.

It was a really tragic end and whatever people thought of her it was clear to me she made a far better job of raising her kids than what she had to deal with growing up.
  • Options
    Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always liked Jade. She was just a naive victim in a huge media game is how I look back on it. Just a toy to the press, played with her until they got bored, and recycled that for six plus years.

It's quite tragic that she's now been dead for almost as long as she was famous.
  • Options
    user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I never liked her (too loud, too vulgar) but I reckon that her poor upbringing was entirely to blame for the person she turned out to be. That said, I still feel sorry she passed away so very young. She had a life to live and children to bring up.... sadly, it all went wrong. :(
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try not to
  • Options
    Reem2011Reem2011 Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No comment. Let her rest in peace
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of those.

A nobody who turned herself into a Zeleb with no talent.
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A symbolic figure for this day and age. A celebrity created through a reality TV show - who was thick and loud. However she also had more endearing and enduring qualities than most of the others that seem to have come to the forefront since. There was a sweetness and vulnerability about her which did come through - especially at the end of her tragic life.

Her kids are her legacy and Jeff Brazier seems to have done a wonderful job with them both.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember how Graham Norton attacked her relentlessly on his C4 show until he saw she had won public sympathy then he was all 'oh you gotta love her'
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She died on the same day as my dad so it's a bit difficult not to think of the 'tragic demise' bit. She was a bittersweet entity.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A vile chav who was awarded 'celebrity' status for all the wrong reasons.

Goody lived a car crash life for the trash mags right up until her death. It's a shame she died young and suffered cancer, but that doesn't change her being a nasty person.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A vile, racist simpleton, albeit one that died tragically young.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually I think she was quite bright, but very much reveled in her ignorance. Maybe she wanted to emulate her mother, who really does seem thick as.
  • Options
    Pixie24Pixie24 Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I didn't like her but it was sad that she died so young leaving two young sons especially as her death may have been prevented.

I loathed Jackiiieeeyyyy.
  • Options
    BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will doubtless upset some/most here... but I remember her as the stupid cow who died of a preventable/treatable cancer because instead of attending a follow up appointment, she elected to do something in another continent that would increase her bank balance.
  • Options
    Rubbish NameRubbish Name Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dumb as a shoe is how I remember her.
    "Where's East Angular? I thought it was abroad."
    "Rio de Janeiro - ain't that a person?"
    "They were trying to use me as an escape goat"
    "Do they speak Portuganese in Portugal? I thought Portugal was in Spain."

And most of all - too stupid to go for a follow-up appointment on a health issue.
    Shrike wrote: »
    Actually I think she was quite bright, but very much reveled in her ignorance. Maybe she wanted to emulate her mother, who really does seem thick as.
    I don't agree - you can't fake that level of stupidity.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Useful word racist.
    It enables nice liberal people to dismiss someone as worthless.
    Not like common or garden celeb haters.
    Use the r word and you can hate someone to your heart's content, secure in your own superiority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »

Nah, she was thicker than mince.
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Useful word racist.
    Use the r word and you can hate someone to your heart's content, secure in your own superiority.

Nice passive aggressive statement there. It is indeed a useful word, particularly when used against people who are racist, use racist language and act in a racist way - as Goody did.

Oh and I do indeed hate racists. I'm sorry if that makes me a wooly liberal - but hey ho. No-one should be vilified simply by virtue of the colour of their skin/nationality.

Can you please enlighten me as to where I am laying claim to superiority? Or are you simply espousing a lot of hot air?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Nice passive aggressive statement there. It is indeed a useful word, particularly when used against people who are racist, use racist language and act in a racist way - as Goody did.

Oh and I do indeed hate racists. I'm sorry if that makes me a wooly liberal - but hey ho. No-one should be vilified simply by virtue of the colour of their skin/nationality.

Can you please enlighten me as to where I am laying claim to superiority? Or are you simply espousing a lot of hot air?
    I was just expressing something I have thought for a long time. It's not an attack on you personally.
    I just think racist is a good way for people to dismiss people.
    Given that anti-racists believe we are all racist, the term could be use to attack anyone.

As I said, very useful.

On an individual level, IIRC you have a very low opinion of Katie Price. Now that is hard to forgive. :p
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The message Goody's legacy sends out is that by being a thick racist, you can become a millionaire celebrity overnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    The message Goody's legacy sends out is that by being a thick racist, you can become a millionaire celebrity overnight.

No it doesn't. The "racism" damaged her career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just expressing something I have thought for a long time. It's not an attack on you personally.
    I just think racist is a good way for people to dismiss people.
    Given that anti-racists believe we are all racist, the term could be use to attack anyone.

As I said, very useful.

On an individual level, IIRC you have a very low opinion of Katie Price. Now that is hard to forgive. :p

Or racism is. If people act in a racist way we brand them racists - their fault. Do you think racism is somehow acceptable and that we shouldn't dismiss people thus?
  • Options
    Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    A vile chav who was awarded 'celebrity' status for all the wrong reasons.

Like stripping off on BB - real class

BTW there's Jackie and Jacky, but in typical council house 'invent a name' style there was Jackiey. Oh decisions - let's use both . . .
  • Options
    CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Useful word racist.

Why does someone have to be a "liberal" to dislike racists or racism. It should be basic intelligence not to judge someone on something so superficial as their colour or race.

Jade Goody came over as a racist - but she was so thick that she was hardly able to string a sentence together. Whilst not excusing her behaviour on CBB - she was so clearly a product of her desperately uneducated mother. Fundamentally - I still feel she had some decency in her - and so clearly wanted her boys to have the good education she knew she so obviously lacked.