Options

Coleen Nolan sparks outrage after comparing gay rights to supporting ISIS

Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
Forum Member
Coleen Nolan has sparked widespread controversy after clumsily comparing gay rights to supporting ISIS during a discussion on Loose Women.

She made the comments during a panel discussion on the recent gay cake row in Northern Ireland.

Nolan’s statements, in which she made a jumbled attempt to defend the rights of businesses to refuse clients because of their beliefs, have now sparked outrage on social media.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3089673/Coleen-Nolan-sparks-controversy-comparing-gay-rights-supporting-ISIS-discussion-Loose-Women.html#ixzz3ahtURB80

Just shows why Loose Women is absolute trash.
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    A Death Star moment is required so I can utter the line

"It was as if a million voices cried out on Tw*tter, and were suddenly silenced"
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbf I'm in favour of businesses being able to serve who they like, but that's only because I think getting their bigotry out on social media will do more long term harm than letting them become some symbol of "persecution" to those that share that bigotry by suing them.

Blimey though Coleen, ISIS cake? Really? Was she trying to update the swastika analogy? :o:o
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do actually get what she was trying to say, and the point she was trying to make, but it was very much a case of engaging mouth before the brain and she's ended up looking rather stupid.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do actually get what she was trying to say, and the point she was trying to make, but it was very much a case of engaging mouth before the brain and she's ended up looking rather stupid.

Agreed. Part of her problem is she thinks she's intelligent but in reality she's thicker than pig s**t :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point she was trying to make is obvious.

Its almost as though people are refusing to use common sense on purpose.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I get the point she was trying to put across, she just used an utterly stupid analogy and worded it very, very badly.

Not surprising though :D
  • Options
    MaisieMooMooMaisieMooMoo Posts: 1,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few friends of mine on Facebook have commented on this, but there main complaint seems to involve a lot of insults criticising her size rather than what she had said, which I find rather disappointing.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »

Depends whos version of common sense it is... I find the "suport the cake makers to be bigoted" version of common sense to be full of bullshit.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

A similar thing happened when Jamelia made her remark about "shaming fat people" that was picked up on by the media.

She obviously meant extreme body images in general, at both ends of the weight scale, but people seemed to deliberately not want to hear that.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    Yeah I can see why people are upset about her comparing gay marriage to a terrorist organisation.

That said, I wouldn't want to see her sacked over it.
  • Options
    Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    She was completely in the right here, in my opinion.

In no way was she comparing gay people with ISIS, she was just pointing out that people could ask for a cake supporting any political ideology, and that this rule seemed to be forcing businesses to cater for any customer.

A completely reasoned argument from her, and the sad thing is that it is possible to counter-argue this point without resorting to Twitter-outrage, but the masses would prefer to make disingenuous comments like "she's comparing gay people to ISIS" rather than saying "well, it depends on the nature of the request. Supporting a terrorist organisation is different to supporting political legislation".

Although I wonder what the rule would be about a baker refusing to make a cake with the message "Keep marriage between a man and a woman".
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    The point she was trying to make was obvious. Put your pitchforks down.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I think to be fair Coleen is not trying to be hateful but she made a ridiculous comparison that ultimately made her look a bit foolish. I think people should not give her too hard a time for this, we all have stupid moments.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the show myself but it didn't seem like any of the panelists were supporting Mr Lee, they were all in favour of the bakery. So much for a balanced discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I didn't see the show myself but it didn't seem like any of the panelists were supporting Mr Lee, they were all in favour of the bakery. So much for a balanced discussion.

Never expect balance on shows like loose women, it's like expecting the Daily mail or Guardian to be impartial politically.:p
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have obviously all been told to say this stupid shit as it's been getting them headlines the last couple of months.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dumb thing to say, but in the interests of fairness she should be allowed a couple more indiscretions and then a punch at a producer before they think about firing her.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Loose Women not Question Time.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    I think to be fair Coleen is not trying to be hateful but she made a ridiculous comparison that ultimately made her look a bit foolish. I think people should not give her too hard a time for this, we all have stupid moments.

But it was not a stupid comparison at all. She was simply trying to point out that anyone with any sort of horrific, shocking message now has the right to go get it iced at a cake shop. And the cake shop cannot say no.

I find it ironic that people are calling her stupid yet they are the ones being a bit thick.

By the way I cannot stand that Nolan woman.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the statement she made

‘What if somebody walked in and said: “Right, I want a cake and I want the whole Islamic State on it – and how I support it, and how I support them killing our people. Because it is a business do they have to make it?” she asked.

Then the presenter looks down at her notes and said well yes according this ruling they would have too.

WTF Really because that is not what the ruling says at all. The fact she tried to make it sound official is even worst. Not to look over rent a gob getting the legal status of gay marriage wrong.

for a start ISIS is a terrorist organisation in every legal sense. Being gay is nothing like being a terrorist organisation so to compare the two is odd.

Also the ruling is very clear you can think what your like but in UK if you want to run a business you cannot discriminate against anyone based on sexual preference or race. People going on about belief or freedom of speech have missed the fact that is not what the law is. Their is no freedom of speech law in this country thank god.

I saw a very good point on one of the sites. People choose to believe in the bible or god you don't choose to be gay it is just the way your are born.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    But it was not a stupid comparison at all. She was simply trying to point out that anyone with any sort of horrific, shocking message now has the right to go get it iced at a cake shop. And the cake shop cannot say no.

I find it ironic that people are calling her stupid yet they are the ones being a bit thick.

I'm no legal expert but I don't think terrorist groups such as ISIS are protected under UK discrimination law.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »

Is it only balanced if everyone agrees with you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »

Firstly thanks for implying me and others are stupid for thinking the comparison of a pro terrorists and pro gay rights statement is unwise. I already said people should not give Coleen a hard time as she is in my opinion not being hateful but i stand by her being foolish.
    jclock66 wrote: »
    I'm no legal expert but I don't think terrorist groups such as ISIS are protected under UK discrimination law.
    Good point but be careful you might be being thick according to some.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was completely in the right here, in my opinion.

In no way was she comparing gay people with ISIS, she was just pointing out that people could ask for a cake supporting any political ideology, and that this rule seemed to be forcing businesses to cater for any customer.

A completely reasoned argument from her, and the sad thing is that it is possible to counter-argue this point without resorting to Twitter-outrage, but the masses would prefer to make disingenuous comments like "she's comparing gay people to ISIS" rather than saying "well, it depends on the nature of the request. Supporting a terrorist organisation is different to supporting political legislation".

Although I wonder what the rule would be about a baker refusing to make a cake with the message "Keep marriage between a man and a woman".

No it's not a completely reasoned argument at all and how could she ever offer one?A proscribed terrorist organisation analogy in this instance? Clearly she doesn't know they are a proscribed organisation or, I guess, what that actually means in reality or in any case of discrimination. . Who is the equally ignorant woman sitting next to her, wholeheartedly agreeing and why is JSP sitting there saying nothing. Maybe she would be glad to see the back of them both and was enjoying watching them burying themselves in utter stupidity.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »

Well, the ISIS cake would be voicing a political opinion. After all, ISIs want to and are creating a fully functioning state, not merely bombing people with the sole aim of scaring them.

So if the bakery rejected it, this would be discrimination against a political opinion, which is illegal in NI.