Was it a lock up? - No delayed start

davhardydavhardy Posts: 133
Forum Member
Most of the time my 9200 will start up from standby without a problem. However, on several occasions I have pressed ON on the remote and nothing has happened for over a minute before it starts to boot.

The first few times this happened, I assumed it had locked and powered down at the mains. Now I wait a couple of minutes and it usually statrs up OK

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it a bug that Humax need to investigate?

I have the latest loader and system software installed.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen this mentioned in the past and I remember those members had to have their machine repaired or replaced by Humax. The latest loader helps with PVRs that are taking more than 15 seconds to start up but in this case where it is taking a long long time Humax will have other reasons for why this has happened and may need to replace a part if it persists or change some firmware not upgradeable by users. There is an FAQ about being stuck in standby for users who can never get it to start which you could try and this may make the machine start earlier but if the problem wont go away I think a warranty call may be in order. Hope that helps. Oh by the way here is the link to that FAQ: http://www.hummy.org.uk/invison/index.php?showtopic=492
  • davhardydavhardy Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    I've seen this mentioned in the past and I remember those members had to have their machine repaired or replaced by Humax. The latest loader helps with PVRs that are taking more than 15 seconds to start up but in this case where it is taking a long long time Humax will have other reasons for why this has happened and may need to replace a part if it persists or change some firmware not upgradeable by users. There is an FAQ about being stuck in standby for users who can never get it to start which you could try and this may make the machine start earlier but if the problem wont go away I think a warranty call may be in order. Hope that helps. Oh by the way here is the link to that FAQ: http://www.hummy.org.uk/invison/index.php?showtopic=492

Thanks Marc. Normally with loader 4.09, startup is very fast compared to the earlier 4.07 (it's now approx 15 seconds from pressing ON on the remote to fully booted.)

It's only occasionally that nothing happens for over a minute before it starts to boot. When it does start it appears to do so normally (i.e. 15 seconds).

I assume from what you say that it's unlikely an OTA software fix is practical?

If it does not get progressively worse I think I can live with it - If I had to go back to a VCR while it was away at Humax for repair I'd feel lost :) .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davhardy wrote:
    Thanks Marc. Normally with loader 4.09, startup is very fast compared to the earlier 4.07 (it's now approx 15 seconds from pressing ON on the remote to fully booted.)

It's only occasionally that nothing happens for over a minute before it starts to boot. When it does start it appears to do so normally (i.e. 15 seconds).

If it does not get progressively worse I think I can live with it - If I had to go back to a VCR while it was away at Humax for repair I'd feel lost :) .

You know what Dave, thats what people were saying at the time this was discussed before. The user did not want it to be collected by Humax because it would mean being without a PVR! :)
  • BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davhardy wrote:
    Most of the time my 9200 will start up from standby without a problem. However, on several occasions I have pressed ON on the remote and nothing has happened for over a minute before it starts to boot.

The first few times this happened, I assumed it had locked and powered down at the mains. Now I wait a couple of minutes and it usually statrs up OK

When my 9200 was in the bedroom, I had a few occasions whereby it booted up slowly, then noticed it was affecting other equipment (Sky+, Panny TV).

Finally, by accident, found that it was my wireless router causing the problem, moved it 4 feet, and all now OK.

I've also seen reports before about Dect telephones causing problems with home cinema equipment if they are in the vicinity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davhardy wrote:

I still have this 'struggling to come out of standby' problem.

I have upgraded the loader to 4.09 and it still, now-and-again, happens. I have been too impatient recently to time how long it would have taken to come out of standby but I sometimes have to powercycle a few times before the box would come out of standby.

Like you say, the box behaves normally coming out of standby in 15 secs but now and again it doesn't. I don't think it is a lockup problem as the clock on the front panel still works and I also need a few powercycles (a lockup would only need one) to cure it.

I will time how long it takes next time this happens...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I get this problem too (on both the old and new loader). I hope it's not a repair job, as like others I would be lost without it!
  • davhardydavhardy Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Barry wrote:
    When my 9200 was in the bedroom, I had a few occasions whereby it booted up slowly, then noticed it was affecting other equipment (Sky+, Panny TV).

Finally, by accident, found that it was my wireless router causing the problem, moved it 4 feet, and all now OK.

I've also seen reports before about Dect telephones causing problems with home cinema equipment if they are in the vicinity.

Mmm? - I've got a video sender sat on top of the Humax; I wonder if that's causing the problem? Since it's rarely used to retransmit to the bedroom TV I'll disconnnect it and see if the delayed lock up stops.
  • wgmorgwgmorg Posts: 5,020
    Forum Member
    My 9200T still uses the 4.07 loader and it starts in about 15s.
    davhardy wrote:
    Normally with loader 4.09, startup is very fast compared to the earlier 4.07 (it's now approx 15 seconds from pressing ON on the remote to fully booted.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    davhardy wrote:

I recently acquired a 9200T following a dissatisfactory period of Fusion ownership. It seemed fine, but arrived with out-of-date firmware so I upgraded it over the serial port following the instructions to the letter and with apparent success (i.e. display codes all as expected).

However, having done this, it was a complete nightmare to get out of standby. I found out that if I turned the box on at the mains, waiting several minutes, then pressed standby it would turn on consistently and quickly, and work fine - until such point as it was put back into standby, where again it would be a nightmare to start again (sometimes it would, but it could take several minutes with the clock stuck at a fixed time). Tried restore defaults, reloading the firmware, you name it, but nothing would sort it out.

Tech support suggested a hardware fault, and the box has been replaced but so far I've only been brave enough to upgrade the main software and not the loader!! Fortunately having had the original box for less than a week there wasn't much recorded on it. I guess it might have had a latent fault that just happened to manifest itself on the upgrade...

We have DECT phones and a video sender - the problem occurred in a different room having tried the software upgrade both in-situ with a laptop and in the study with a desktop PC. I'm not saying this isn't the source of the problem but both are fairly low power devices and the PVR should be well shielded for EMC compatability. I'd expect to see other nasties, not just at boot-up, if they truly were interfering. But worth a try all the same!