Ghosting of other channels coming through Humax picture

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
Forum Member
Having just bought a new LCD tv, im now noticing a ghosting effect where the Digital tv channel the TV was on before switching to the Humax feed, can be seen scrolling underneath the picture the Humax is outputting.

On my old CRT tv i had noticing a simliar effect when watching dvd's. (My dvd player is connected via scart to the tv in the following way: DVD ---> Humax ---> TV).

I now cant see any ghosting when watching dvd's (dvd connected in the same fashion), but can on the Humax picture. This is actually more annoying as i spend more time watching the Humax than dvd's!

Ive found a workaround which is to tune the Digital signal on the tv to channel 501 (BBC HD which therefore produces a blank screen) before turning to the Humax feed, but surely there must be a way to prevent this scart intereferance properly??

Any help would be appreciated.
(in case it makes any difference my tv is a Toshiba 32WLT66)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I have a problem which is probably not unrelated to yours. In my case it is the sound coming through from the analogue channel that the TV was switched to before I switched the Humax on. I was able to reduce this by removing the scart switch box that I used and reconnecting my DVD player through my Humax. If I could be bothered to buy a better scart lead it would probably reduce the problem further. This seems to be a general problem with SCART leads, and there is not much more you can do than get the best leads you can, and connect them as simply as you can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    ...there is not much more you can do than get the best leads you can, and connect them as simply as you can.

So would a really expensive scart lead help with this problem effectively?

Would anyone actually recommend those scart leads in excess of £40? Are they really worth the money, and do you see a noticeable decrease in picture distortion?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I had this problem when I upgraded to a Samsung LE23T51BD LCD TV, and it was solved by getting a Gold SCART lead - I paid £18 for a 5m individually screened cable, so it needn't cost an absolute fortune.

There are many sellers on Ebay (just check the feedback), or take a look at a local independant shop - steer clear of the High Street chains, as they will want to sell you a 1m cable for £50.
    Forum Member
    stenard wrote:
    So would a really expensive scart lead help with this problem effectively?

I don't know because I haven't tried one. But I was able to reduce the problem by reconnecting cheap leads in a different way. Maybe if I also switched them for expensive leads it would further reduce or eliminate the problem. Maybe not. But, personally, I don't think the problem is bad enough (either before or after I partly fixed it) to justify spending 40 quid on a fancy lead that may not fix the problem.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snap pin 19 at the TV end of the SCART lead. This carries the video signal from the TV back up towards the PVR and in cheap leads is a source of interference.

If you don't know which pin is 19, you can find out here - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds12610.html
    Forum Member
    Snap pin 19 at the TV end of the SCART lead. This carries the video signal from the TV back up towards the PVR and in cheap leads is a source of interference.

What about for audio interference?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about for audio interference?
    Pins 1 & 3, again at the TV end.
    Forum Member
    Pins 1 & 3, again at the TV end.

Thanks! I thought so looking at the diagram, but wasn't ready to mangle a my spare scart lead without checking first!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    I also got ghosting after changing from a JVC to a Sony telly. As I'm using exactly the same SCART leads I figure it's a problem with the telly (maybe the JVC didn't output on pin 19 or something?) Anyway I'll try the pin 19 thing and see how I get on.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    I have had a similar problem for years since i had my Panasonic TV. I've always put it own to poor AV Inputs on the tv.

I have never snipped the scart leads and I have tried loads.

The way round it I use is to switch to channel 0 (dvd recorder) on the tv first, which with the recorder off gives a black no signal picture. Then I select the AV input for my toppy the interference is then gone.

It works very well. :)
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snipping pin 19 does work. I had the same problem for years on my Panasonic widescreen tv. I read about pin 19 here last year and since then I've had no problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Hal_loe wrote:
    I have had a similar problem for years since i had my Panasonic TV. I've always put it own to poor AV Inputs on the tv.

I have never snipped the scart leads and I have tried loads.

The way round it I use is to switch to channel 0 (dvd recorder) on the tv first, which with the recorder off gives a black no signal picture. Then I select the AV input for my toppy the interference is then gone.

It works very well. :)

I do something very similar - just select an empty channel.

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Powerhead wrote:
    I do something very similar - just select an empty channel.

;)
    An empty channel will show "white noise", and thus creates a fuzzy picture. You're best to either remove the interference or tune to a channel that is blank.
    Forum Member
    An empty channel will show "white noise", and thus creates a fuzzy picture. You're best to either remove the interference or tune to a channel that is blank.

Yes you're right that's why I use the dvd recorder channel with the unit off...
    Forum Member

Just to check...even if this does not cure the problem, is there any chance it can cause extra problems? Or is pin 19 on the tv end of a scart useless?

Im guessing it has it at both ends because scart-to-scart cables can be used either way round. By breaking pin 19 im guessing ill be restricting the cable to a specific orientation...where the end with pin 19 missing always needs to be plugged into the tv?

Thanks for the advice
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stenard wrote:
    Just to check...even if this does not cure the problem, is there any chance it can cause extra problems? Or is pin 19 on the tv end of a scart useless?
    It's pretty much useless, unless you like to feed your TV output to a projector (bearing in mind this means analogue 1-5).
    Im guessing it has it at both ends because scart-to-scart cables can be used either way round. By breaking pin 19 im guessing ill be restricting the cable to a specific orientation...where the end with pin 19 missing always needs to be plugged into the tv?
    You would be changing it to uni-directional, but unless you swap leads about on a regular basis, it shouldn't cause you any bother.

If you'd rather keep the pin intact, then you can always open the lead up and pull the pin through (assuming it doesn't have a moulded plug). Just twist the round black thing clockwise until it comes loose then unclip the casing. You should be able to figure it out from there.
    Forum Member
    Hal_loe wrote:

Thats the same trick ive been using, but id rather get a solution which doesnt require the pre-thinking of selecting a certain channel before turning on the Humax...im lazy!! Hopefully this pin 19 thing will do the job.
    stenard wrote:
    Ive found a workaround which is to tune the Digital signal on the tv to channel 501 (BBC HD which therefore produces a blank screen) before turning to the Humax feed, but surely there must be a way to prevent this scart intereferance properly??

Finnally, going back to the quality of scart cables. Can anyone who's recently upgraded to a new HD ready LCD tv and is using it with the Humax give any advice about whether a half-decent gold scart lead produced a better image than a bog standard £5 cable? If they do i think it would be a worthwhile investment to get a £20 one.

Thanks
    Forum Member
    Hal_loe wrote:
    Yes you're right that's why I use the dvd recorder channel with the unit off...
    But surely your DVD player goes into an AV channel rather than entering the TV as a modulated RF signal picked up by the tuner on an actual "channel"?!? I have various AV devices connected to the scarts on my telly, DVD player being one but if I "tuned" to that (say by picking AV2) and then switched to my PVR (by picking AV1) then the "noise" that I get ghosting my PVR signal is actually the output of a channel from the RF tuner?

Cliff
    Forum Member
    Thanks dundee_mark. I tried it and it works a treat.

I also snipped pin 19 while I was there because I do get picture interference, though only when the TV was last switched to an untuned channel. But this did not work! And I don't think it will for me, because I also switched to a channel for the AV connectors on the front of the TV (with nothing plugged in), and the picture still showed through. But this was never really a problem for me anyway.
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that modern tellies don't have an option to just say "switch off the internal analogue tuner all together - this is 2006 - who wants to use analogue anyway?" In fact I don't know why they bother putting tuners in tellie any more. Surely everyone is pumping either Sky, Freeview, NTL/cable, DVDs or some other sources in through the AV inputs and ignoring the inbuilt tuner 99.9999% of the time anyway?

Cliff
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    But surely your DVD player goes into an AV channel rather than entering the TV as a modulated RF signal picked up by the tuner on an actual "channel"?!? I have various AV devices connected to the scarts on my telly, DVD player being one but if I "tuned" to that (say by picking AV2) and then switched to my PVR (by picking AV1) then the "noise" that I get ghosting my PVR signal is actually the output of a channel from the RF tuner?

Cliff

Hi Cliff

No it's a DVD recorder not a dvd player so has a modulated RF signal too.

As I have 2 RGB devices (Toppy and DVD recorder) the DVD recorder plugs into the Toppy and then to the TV.

I knew my TV had this AV problem so I made sure I had a Blank channel. It used to be the video but that is no longer plugged in via RF.

Also I can see the transmitter from my road so it caused various problems. At one point we had too much signal which caused all sorts of problems.

If I select a 'white noise' channel you can clearly see the noise on the AV input. My dad used to work in the industry and agreed it's probably poor AV inputs on the TV with the signal leaking through.

Hope that makes sense.

Phil
    Forum Member
    CJL wrote:
    But surely your DVD player goes into an AV channel rather than entering the TV as a modulated RF signal picked up by the tuner on an actual "channel"?!?

I used to have a Panasonic ondigital box, and when in stand by it would output a black screen with no audio via RF (or mono digital via RF when on). I always kept the TV on this channel so as to avoid interference while watching digital TV / DVD / video.
    Forum Member
    Hal_loe wrote:
    No it's a DVD recorder not a dvd player so has a modulated RF signal too.
    Oh, of course - doh! I could use this solution too. I've never bothered to run aerial leads to/from my DVDR as everything I record/playback goes in/out through scarts and I've got enough digital tuners to never need the analogue one inside the DVDR. But you've given me an idea, if I add the DVDR to the RF chain towards the telly then I can hopefully get a "blank channel" out of it as well - that is, if the pin 19 thing doesn't work.

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    It's a shame that modern tellies don't have an option to just say "switch off the internal analogue tuner all together - this is 2006 - who wants to use analogue anyway?" In fact I don't know why they bother putting tuners in tellie any more. Surely everyone is pumping either Sky, Freeview, NTL/cable, DVDs or some other sources in through the AV inputs and ignoring the inbuilt tuner 99.9999% of the time anyway?

Cliff

err - because no retailer would be happy with the volume of returns from people who can't get (acceptable) digital reception - and because it makes little sense to remove something from sets when other EU countries are further from "switch off".....
    Forum Member
    BTW I pulled pin 19 from my cable between Fusion and Sony telly tonight (and cut the end off my finger in the process) and can report that all the ghosting has gone completely and I've never seen such a clear output from the Fusion (the JVC telly didn't ghost but it was nowhere near as good as this Sony!)

Cliff