Options

How do broadcasters choose where to insert ad breaks?

stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
Forum Member
✭✭
In films, in particular. Is it done by some automated process, or does a human actually watch each film and decide where the best places are for a break?

I ask because I just got round to watching Drowning by Numbers, which I recorded on Film4 last week. It had the worst ad breaks I've ever seen, starting in the MIDDLE of a sentence, with the sentence finishing when the break ended. Surely this wasn't done by a human!

(Incidentally, it was nice to see a few Peter Greenaway films on late night Film4 last week. I hope the others I've recorded don't suffer the same ad break fate!)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    they seem to have an agreement to do them at the same time so you can't switch over
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsontom wrote: »
    they seem to have an agreement to do them at the same time so you can't switch over

Well you can change channels but chances are all the other channels are showing ads too.
    It's particularly bad with Sky.

I'm convinced that they have an agreement about this and automatic software to do it
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I remember back in the days of 1-4 only it seemed that the ad breaks were planned into the program or generally carefully placed in the case of films.

These days it seems that much of the time it must be some sort of timer, as if the program wasn't intended for an ad break they often seem to cut in halfway through a scene, or at other odd moments.

As others have said it seems there may be some sort of agreement between various channels to put the ad breaks on at the same time, as often if I start flipping through the channels at the start of an ad break, loads seem to be on a break at the same time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I think the main ITV channels put a bit of thought into it, but the cheap freeview channels seem to just use a random timing with little regard for the programme being shown. It's certainly not done by a human being, and of course it's worse on shows that were made for the BBC and don't have natural breaks in them.
    I've lost count of the number of times I've been watching an old episode of QI or Top Gear on Dave and it just cuts to an ad break half way through a sentence.

I get my own back by never watching ads, everything I watch nowadays is recorded on a hard drive recorder so I can flip through the ads & other irrelevant crap. Saves countless hours a week.
  • Options
    red16vred16v Posts: 2,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »
    ... I remember back in the days of 1-4 only it seemed that the ad breaks were planned into the program or generally carefully placed in the case of films. ..

You're right, in the days of the ITA/IBA commercial breaks had to appear at a natural point in the programme (film or tv) so as not to jar or confuse the viewer.

As part of her duties as an transmission controller, my wife often spent part of her working day previewing films to see where a break could/should be inserted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    When I tried to get a copy of an advert a few years ago from ITV, I was told they had no access to the adverts as they were played out from somewhere else and were nothing to do with ITV. So I was told.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    They are placed by humans (Where to put them i mean)
    But sometimes, the automation system that is supposed to kick the ads in and basically pause the show/film goes a brief second to early and cuts off the words or action.
    As a way to stop the cutting off, shows that were never meant to have ads in them, like Homeland on Channel 4, we created a break bumper from the opening credits, so that you wouldn't lose dialogue or action to an ill-timed ad break.
    Its not always badly placed on Film4 but i agree, it could be better
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    But sometimes, the automation system that is supposed to kick the ads in and basically pause the show/film goes a brief second to early and cuts off the words or action.
    As a way to stop the cutting off, shows that were never meant to have ads in them, like Homeland on Channel 4, we created a break bumper from the opening credits, so that you wouldn't lose dialogue or action to an ill-timed ad break.

Is this the same for the low budget channels too?

I remember Friendly TV adverts cutting into the middle of a sentence when a live presenter was speaking!
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the same for the low budget channels too?

I remember Friendly TV adverts cutting into the middle of a sentence when a live presenter was speaking!

I remember adverts cutting into live football just as a goal was about to be scored! :mad:
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    When I tried to get a copy of an advert a few years ago from ITV, I was told they had no access to the adverts as they were played out from somewhere else and were nothing to do with ITV. So I was told.

Adverts are made by advertising agencies they are the ones to contact.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's the stings/sponsors that are the problem particularly on the lower budget channels. They just cut it in without warning and be inappropriate ie comic immediately after a tragic scene.

Dave hacks BBC programmes, these days the programme seems to have to work round the ads. We are now getting very close to what happens in America where they have the titles and set up and a commercial break.
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally they were termed "natural breaks", ie when a change of time/scene etc took place. But wuith low audience channels, they are now programmed to play at the same time on each channel, based on the fact that 10 channels X 300,000 viewers means 3 Million watching the ads! However there is a form of human input -channel X starts at 8 pm, channel Y at 7.58pm abnd channel Z at 8.02 pm, so they should all break at an apprpriate time!
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Im a celebrity they always put an ad break before the bush trucker trial.
  • Options
    aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coulsontom wrote: »

Nothing to stop them switching over to a BBC channel though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im not sure you all understood me.
    I mean is, they site for the ad break is spotted by human eyes and the time code is then input to an automated system to effectively pause said TV show or film and playout the ad break.
    BUT, on occasion, the automated system will jump the gun a little and cut off a word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im not sure you all understood me.
    I mean is, they site for the ad break is spotted by human eyes and the time code is then input to an automated system to effectively pause said TV show or film and playout the ad break.
    BUT, on occasion, the automated system will jump the gun a little and cut off a word.

There can be various reasons, has the person logging the timecode accurately, if there 3 words a seconds an 8 frame error will chop off words. The wrong timecode may have been entered or the computer has a hot date and wants to get away early.

Even live shows can fall foul of automated systems if there isn't a human present able to delay or bring forward the commercial break a second or two.

To save money one person may be working across a number of channels, so they could be working to a computer list rather than to the programme content and what's happening on-air.
  • Options
    ShadowlandsShadowlands Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all depends if the show or movie is hard parted or soft parted. A hard parted show will have a clock at the start of the first part, then blacks and clocks between each part. A soft parted show will have a clock at the front then the playout centre will be given timecodes of where the channel wants the ad breaks playing out.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    A bit like this :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYcVfW2cpb0
    Whoops :p
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thats just appalling isn't it.
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    On Im a celebrity they always put an ad break before the bush trucker trial.

I think its more, they put the bushtucker trial before the advert. The first ad is at quarter past generally.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do they get breaks in New Tricks, still have it squeezed in 60 minutes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats just appalling isn't it.
    Terrible but was corrected when I told them about it. It doesn't help whwn they have to replace an ep with a different one at short notice and forget to update the "where the breaks are" file; because that throws things out too.
    How do they get breaks in New Tricks, still have it squeezed in 60 minutes?
    I did email them about that but they never replied :mad: I can only assume they have to edit bits out.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    They don't seem to care anymore, mid sentence, mid song the ads come first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Huh? I watch a lot of commercial telly (but not ads!) and hardly ever see a problem.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was just one ad break per 15 mins of programming so roughly 4 per hour