This Forum Is Sometimes Beyond Baffling

RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
Forum Member
Last Summer on here if you even thought about saying a bad word against the almight Dexter and his "Incredible Gameplan" (Not that incredible since everyone in the house figured it out within a few days) then people would jump on your back.

Yet EVEN if Jim is playing people or playing a game he is clearly doing it much better than Dexter ever did. In the house he has been accused of being sexist and chauvanistic but only Linda/Luisa ever claimed he had a game plan (And that was just them jumping on everything Jim did at the time).

Yet some FM's are taking everything he says like "The Audience Love Sincerity" as the ultimate gameplan or the ultimate arrogance. Why was it okay for Dexter to do it but Jim gets jumped on? :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch civilian BB any more but I agree, if someone plays a game AND PLAYS IT WELL, I for one will applaud them.

ONLY if they have entertained me though and Jim has. Luisa and Liz did also, it wouldn't have been so good without them IMO.
  • jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last Summer on here if you even thought about saying a bad word against the almight Dexter and his "Incredible Gameplan" (Not that incredible since everyone in the house figured it out within a few days) then people would jump on your back.

Yet EVEN if Jim is playing people or playing a game he is clearly doing it much better than Dexter ever did. In the house he has been accused of being sexist and chauvanistic but only Linda/Luisa ever claimed he had a game plan (And that was just them jumping on everything Jim did at the time).

Yet some FM's are taking everything he says like "The Audience Love Sincerity" as the ultimate gameplan or the ultimate arrogance. Why was it okay for Dexter to do it but Jim gets jumped on? :confused::confused::confused:

Laughable isn't it. And Rusty Lee, a BLACK woman, on BBOTS said she had met Jim and he was a gentleman : She hopes he wins too. Well I never :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    If memory serves me correctly, Jim and debtor got equal amounts of support...
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wonkey's thread from earlier explains it better than I can ;)
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In previous series we would never defend sexist and racist jokes. And yet...
  • jeanojjeanoj Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I don't watch civilian BB any more but I agree, if someone plays a game AND PLAYS IT WELL, I for one will applaud them.

ONLY if they have entertained me though and Jim has. Luisa and Liz did also, it wouldn't have been so good without them IMO.

Joni - just want to say I loved your witty comments on the highlight thread. It moved too fast for me to say it on there but you do make me laugh :D
  • JVSJVS Posts: 12,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a game-plan is usually accepted as a bad thing - even though you would be nuts to go in there and not have one. Dexter is the only HM I can recollect being praised for being a master game-player, even though that hypothesis is a pile of dog's doo-doos and he was nothing more than a bewildered odd-ball who was going along with the flow.

However, if your game-plan is to appear to be something you are not then I believe a few of them are guilty this year; Jim, Dappy and Sam among them.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

I would add Dappy to that as well.:) He has been great.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    I think Jim had a point with that whole sincerity thing he was on about tonight.

When people are asked about game plans and they give the stock boring answer "just be myself" as boring as it is, it is the truth.

The best game plan is an undetectable one. One where nobody can fault you for being insincere, whether you're being insincere or not, which is why I think Jim has done so well, because his ACT is almost undetectable, which is why the few people who see the ACT are quick to jump on here and smoke him out
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The forum often makes more sense if you see what's said as backwards.

Instead of a HM being liked for the reasons people give (which often leads to inconsistencies, since another HM may be disliked despite the same reasons applying), think of it as the liking / disliking coming first, and the reasons as post hoc rationalisations.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have literally no memory of Dexter's incredible gameplan. Whatever was it meant to be?

I have never believed in 'a gameplan' as a workable thing in BB. There are too many things you just can't plan for. All you can do (and it is incredibly difficult, requiring a high level of social judgment and very quick wits) is to spot every trap as it happens and hop over it. Aaron was the master, and even he had an easy house, a slice of luck, and still got it wrong at times.
    JVS wrote: »
    However, if your game-plan is to appear to be something you are not then I believe a few of them are guilty this year; Jim, Dappy and Sam among them.

CBB is different from normal BB. Over 10 weeks plus they get much more tired, and find it much harder to stay on guard. I'm not quite sure why you picked those three. I am 100% sure that Jim has been CAREFUL in what he says this time round: he can't possibly have wanted to be chucked out of another rtv show. But being careful is hardly a 'gameplan'. Dappy seems to have been pretty spontaneous to me: the fact that he gets ludicrously pissed on small amounts of alcohol surely makes it hard for him to maintain a persona. And Sam can't possibly have had a 'gameplan' to be absent from the entire series highlights on grounds of illness and dullness.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always felt Dexter had a game plan but we all saw through it.He was clumsy,unaware of what he did right and so eager to please,so unsure of himself then almost over confident.He was amusing when he never meant to be and when he tried to be cunning we already loved the other side of him enough to be ok with what he was doing.He ****ed up,he made mistakes and he won us over.He was called names by all housemates at times and never had any back up or anyone to stand by him,for over 9 weeks.He was called a "dog" and told he shouldn't be in the house.He longed for acceptance but tried hard to make us believe he couldn't care less.Yes he played a game,but he had no massive fan base to back him up.I do wonder how he can really be compared to Jim or why anyone would assume Dexter fans should view Jim in the same light?For me they are not even slightly the same kind of housemate unless you bring the word "gameplan" into the same sentence.May as well connect any two housemate from any BB into the same catagory by one word!
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like either of them but the forum liked both, so I can't see what this thread is about. The forum is being consistent in its poor taste.
  • AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Oops, wrong thread. :blush:

edit I wish I'd been more on here more for the Dexter stuff!
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Even though similar (and it's never going to be identical) things should be equal, often on forums like these, equality is hard to find.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that it will never happen.

Oh and I agree with those who say that the Jim Davidson threads were deleted due to some posters not being able to resist saying potentially libelous stuff, which is kind of ironic and also counter productive, given both their stance on Jim AND the fact that by doing it the also shut down those who wish to point out their issues/ opinions on him in a non libelous way.

Those posters get their input deleted at the same time which personally I believe is unfair- in an ideal world, the mods would just delete the individual posts.

I've always thought this, prune the tree, don't chop the whole tree down.
    Forum Member
    I've always thought this, prune the tree, don't chop the whole tree down.

Oops, that wasn't meant for this thread (edited it now) but I guess bits might still be relevant! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    Oops, wrong thread. :blush:

edit I wish I'd been more on here more for the Dexter stuff!

Dexter was what brought me here in the first place :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have never believed in 'a gameplan' as a workable thing in BB. There are too many things you just can't plan for. All you can do (and it is incredibly difficult, requiring a high level of social judgment and very quick wits) is to spot every trap as it happens and hop over it. Aaron was the master, and even he had an easy house, a slice of luck, and still got it wrong at times.

I think you're thinking of a "gameplan" as too rigid and detailed a thing, and of "workable" as something like "guaranteed to succeed no matter what and without needing any luck". If the bar is set so high, then of course no such plan can work. For instance, BB might introduce a new twist that sends you tumbling out of the house like Dan in bb14.

But if the bar isn't set so unrealistically high, and then reasonably open and flexible gameplans can work pretty well.
    CBB is different from normal BB. Over 10 weeks plus they get much more tired, and find it much harder to stay on guard. I'm not quite sure why you picked those three. I am 100% sure that Jim has been CAREFUL in what he says this time round: he can't possibly have wanted to be chucked out of another rtv show. But being careful is hardly a 'gameplan'. Dappy seems to have been pretty spontaneous to me: the fact that he gets ludicrously pissed on small amounts of alcohol surely makes it hard for him to maintain a persona. And Sam can't possibly have had a 'gameplan' to be absent from the entire series highlights on grounds of illness and dullness.

There's more to what Jim does in the house than just being careful. Of course, if you pick out only that one thing, it won't seem a gameplan in inself; but that doesn't mean he can't have a gameplan that includes it.

It's hard to know what Sam's been doing in the parts we don't see. She has a kind of story line with Ollie that becomes visible from time to time, when more 'dramatic' story lines don't take up too much of the time.

But also, a HM can have a gameplan that doesn't work. That things don't go as they wanted does not show they didn't have a plan; just that if they did have one, it didn't work very well.

The classic below the radar strategy includes becoming entertaining towards the end so as to get to-win votes. Perhaps Sam had a plan like that but illness got in the way of being able to do phase 2 (the push to win). I don't think she actually did have such a plan, but that's now something it's possible to be very sure about.

(I agree about the series length, though.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeanoj wrote: »
    Laughable isn't it. And Rusty Lee, a BLACK woman, on BBOTS said she had met Jim and he was a gentleman : She hopes he wins too. Well I never :D
    What are you inferring?

That his humour wasn't racist because a BLACK woman met him twice and liked him?

Jeesh.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    I'm with wonkey, what on earth was Dexter's game plan :confused: I loved Aaron and apparently he had a game plan but apart from talking to the camera, very, very occasionally I'm not sure what his was either.

I really don't know what Jim's game plan is but in answer to the OP, doesn't liking someone come into it at all :confused: Game plans aside I actually liked Dexter and Aaron but don't Jim so maybe posters who are dissing Jim for his naff game plan just don't like him :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yer no doing it right.

Shoot first.
  • AA2009AA2009 Posts: 8,378
    Forum Member
    Hate both Dexter and Jim. And Gina for that matter. Why the **** did anyone like Gina?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AA2009 wrote: »
    Hate both Dexter and Jim. And Gina for that matter. Why the **** did anyone like Gina?

Good question. I don't think I ever saw a convincing explanation, and I can usually see why a HM is liked even if I can't stand the HM myself.

Dexter's another one. Why was his incredibly tedious triangle not disliked as such things usually are?
    Forum Member
    eddeva wrote: »
    Dexter was what brought me here in the first place :)

Ha, I think I could actually write a thesis on a certain Mr Koh. I found him to be one of the most intriguing characters in years, and a fascinating housemate to watch for multiple reasons.

Actually don't get me started, or I'll be here all night! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Good question. I don't think I ever saw a convincing explanation, and I can usually see why a HM is liked even if I can't stand the HM myself.

Dexter's another one. Why was his incredibly tedious triangle not disliked as such things usually are?
    Why should an FMs explanation for liking Gina need to convince you - or anyone?

And besides - everything cannot be explained.

Some things (like feelings) just are.