Options

Impact Wrestling on Spike TV

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magnus WORST TNA CHAMPION EEVVEERRRR!

Yeah but he's only there too look good when Samoa Joe crushes him at Lockdown.

Last night Impact was the first time I have ever seen a knockout (Gail Kim) with a nose bleed or bleed at at all, she got a right knock, broken nose if I have ever seen one,
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Yeah but he's only there too look good when Samoa Joe crushes him at Lockdown.

Last night Impact was the first time I have ever seen a knockout (Gail Kim) with a nose bleed or bleed at at all, she got a right knock, broken nose if I have ever seen one,

Yeah that was unexpected - she looked genuinely shaken up.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DejaVoodoo wrote: »
    Sam Shaw.

And yes it is wrestlecrap bad.

What is his character supposed to be.... what's it all about? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    Well it is getting annoying now.
    It was obvious weeks ago that the character is a psycho stalker nutjob. Surely this doesn't need to be reiterated every week. Just get on with the story!

Other than that - last night's Impact was a solid show. I'm really enjoying Gunner's appearances these days - they are perhaps overselling the War Hero angle a tad, but he's great in the ring and comes over very well on the filmed inserts.

And (spoilered for those who prefer to watch on Tuesday night)
    Are we going to see Beer Money re-established?

Should this sort of thing really be going on in TNA?
  • Options
    CylinderCylinder Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it is getting annoying now.
    It was obvious weeks ago that the character is a psycho stalker nutjob. Surely this doesn't need to be reiterated every week. Just get on with the story!

Are we going to see Beer Money re-established?

I think It is moving on a bit, because he got Mr Anderson involved this week - attacking him whilst he was showing baby photos to Christy Hemme.

And yes, I think Lockdown will be 'Team Dixie' with Beer Money etc. vs. 'Team MVP' with The Wolves etc.
    Magnus WORST TNA CHAMPION EEVVEERRRR!

I think he's played the part of 'paper champion' very well.
    I liked it when he ran off and left EC3 to get beaten up by The Wolves.

I've been really enjoying TNA recently, especially since Magnus has been champion, with EC3, Rockstar Spud and now MVP as investor.

Did you guys see the Gunner/Storm twist at the end coming - I didn't.
    It was good drama for me, 'cos I was like WTF!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is his character supposed to be.... what's it all about? :confused::confused:

Basically he's a creepy bastard.
  • Options
    DejaVoodooDejaVoodoo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    The Sam Shaw stuff is just so stupid. Him kidnapping Hemme and the show just carries on and no one stops Shaw from carrying her away.

Great Gunner video though. Good building of Joe, however it's not the best idea for him to destroy your tag champs.
  • Options
    AJ WheelsAJ Wheels Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my lrd. Dejavoodoo, you really should give credit to bryan alvarez whenever you post, because every single post you have ever made, im sure i have heard bryan alvarez say it, upto 24 hours before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AJ Wheels wrote: »
    Oh my lrd. Dejavoodoo, you really should give credit to bryan alvarez whenever you post, because every single post you have ever made, im sure i have heard bryan alvarez say it, upto 24 hours before.

So the Sam Shaw stuff isn't hokey? The Gunner video and match wasn't very good? Joe's match wasn't good but pissing on your tag champs was fine???

If you watch wrestling with logic in mind, you'll find people who share the same viewpoint. I'm not going to say something different just because Bryan Alvarez shares a similar view.

I'm not that bothered about legit badass though, although I can understand where he's coming from.
  • Options
    seibuseibu Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Impact on Sunday, although it lacked drama a bit because I saw it in Manchester. At the time, the Gunner match was amazing. I loved the way that although you knew a Gunner title win *couldn't* happen, when he kicked out of the belt shot you thought ".. could they??". After Sabin's championship last year, anything's possible.

"Magnus Rules" was really stupid. The match was clearly booked with DQs as a possibility, because the heels took steps to hide stuff from the ref several times. Who inserted that stipulation in the commentary?

I agree the Samuel Shaw stuff is hokey, but it'll draw. It could be made a lot less hokey if they made a few small concessions to reality, but I guess that's not how pro wrestling rolls!
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AJ Wheels wrote: »

its such a shame so many wrestling fans dont want to form their own views, or go into a show wanting to hate on it like they are dirt sheet writers.

i am so glad i never fell into that trap. i am the same with movies ,i dont throw a tantrum everytime a film is rebooted or a sequel annouced.

as for impact, how bad is mike tenay? worst commentator ever level right now.

sam shaw smashed christy into garage door and tenay says "what is up with guy, coming up next on impact..."

needs to be removed from TV asap, has no clue how to convey excitement. who cares if he has encyclopedic knowledge of moves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    its such a shame so many wrestling fans dont want to form their own views, or go into a show wanting to hate on it like they are dirt sheet writers.

i am so glad i never fell into that trap. i am the same with movies ,i dont throw a tantrum everytime a film is rebooted or a sequel annouced.

as for impact, how bad is mike tenay? worst commentator ever level right now.

sam shaw smashed christy into garage door and tenay says "what is up with guy, coming up next on impact..."

needs to be removed from TV asap, has no clue how to convey excitement. who cares if he has encyclopedic knowledge of moves.

I agree about Tenay, sadly. Phasing out commentators is hard - there's an attachment to them. Remember how long it took the BBC to phase out Murray Walker, and how publicly annoyed he was about it, initially.

I couldn't believe it when they got rid of Todd Kennelly. Terrible decision, get him back. I don't really like three-man commentary teams, so I'd phase out Tenay over a few months, alternating the three of them, settling on Kennelly / Taz. I actually think Kennelly / Taz could really work.
  • Options
    Jolly JesterJolly Jester Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    seibu wrote: »
    I agree about Tenay, sadly. Phasing out commentators is hard - there's an attachment to them. Remember how long it took the BBC to phase out Murray Walker, and how publicly annoyed he was about it, initially.

I couldn't believe it when they got rid of Todd Kennelly. Terrible decision, get him back. I don't really like three-man commentary teams, so I'd phase out Tenay over a few months, alternating the three of them, settling on Kennelly / Taz. I actually think Kennelly / Taz could really work.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I like the team of Tenay and Taz. I am always a bit unsure of JB's commentary skills, and I was never a fan of Don West.
    I think for now they make a good team.

One thing I was wondering is where they are going to take the Bully Ray story now, saying as the feud between him and Mr Anderson has been dealt with. I fear they may end up down the Bully/Devon road, which got a tad boring.

Sam Shaw, how is that going to end? I fancy Mr Anderson will be involved, as Christy and Anderson seem to be friends.

And will we ever see Rob Terry and Matt Morgan back in Impact?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seibu wrote: »

yeah kennelly was alot better and seemed more big time.

but it seems dixie is intent on keeping impact as a B player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And will we ever see Rob Terry and Matt Morgan back in Impact?

Wasn't Morgan 'let go' a while back? Shame really, as he seemed to be improving. He and Rob T could've been a good tag team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah kennelly was alot better and seemed more big time.

but it seems dixie is intent on keeping impact as a B player

I sometimes wonder if Dixie is a bit of a WCW mark. Hogan, Bischoff, Tenay. None of them really justified their spots but were kept around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tenay and Taz are hit and miss.

Kelly and McGuinness seem to have a better balance, but it depends on what TNA are looking for. Pushing storylines or in ring product?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad news for TNA in that it appears they were slaughtered by NXT Arrival last night.
    TNA Impact failed to make the top 100 shows on cable in the 18-49 demo last night, and that went down to shows that delivered 0.2s.

The were four shows on Spike last night that were in the top 100, all episodes of COPS, including the lead-in show for Impact which was the highest rated in the demo of the night.

Unlike last week, which featured killer competition, the only competition last night would have been the usual NBA on TNT and the NXT Arrival show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Bad news for TNA in that it appears they were slaughtered by NXT Arrival last night.

Final ratings are in and Impact got just over a million viewers; exactly the same as last week. NXT most likely had no effect at all.

Where is this quoted from? I love the way TNA ratings are always phrased in a way to make them sound as bad as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WWE ratings are broken down into demos as well.

I think what cause the slight confusion is that usually males 18-49 are listed as a one of the main breakdowns, however the stat above includes females, thus bringing the stat down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was the reason for giving The Wolves the Tag Team Belts at some random untelevised house show this week?
    Instead of making an exciting event of it on TV?

Also Austin Aires looked hilarious as the ref who forgot his trousers.

Loved the 'creepy bastard' chats for Sam Shaw as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cylinder wrote: »
    What was the reason for giving The Wolves the Tag Team Belts at some random untelevised house show this week?
    Instead of making an exciting event of it on TV?

Also Austin Aires looked hilarious as the ref who forgot his trousers.

Loved the 'creepy bastard' chats for Sam Shaw as well.

i guess they want to push house shows as the place to be!

silly though on TNA part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i guess they want to push house shows as the place to be!

silly though on TNA part.

Seemed rather badly thought out to me. And then they showed a three way tag match with obviously no reference to the Wolves being the champions (as the three way was taped weeks ago in London).
    In fact I thought the whole show was weirdly edited. It seemed very choppy with matches just starting with no build up and finishing with no wind down at all.

I must agree with Cylinder though - Aries was very funny in his striped shirt and trunks! Made a pretty good ref though.

On a sort of related note - I just read that AJ Styles was involved in another incident the other day which ended with a botched Styles Clash. Not long ago Roderick Strong was injured when he tucked his head the wrong way, this time UK wrestler Lionheart actually broke a couple of bones in his neck (:o) when the same thing happened. Hope he's going to be ok.
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they are trying to get a rivalry going with The Wolves/BroMans/Bad Influence, i.e Dudleys/Hardys/E&C with frequent title changes between the three.

Get well Lionheart by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact I thought the whole show was weirdly edited. It seemed very choppy with matches just starting with no build up and finishing with no wind down at all.

Definitely. It's a pet hate of mine when intros are edited out. Really important part of the atmosphere of pro wrestling, if you ask me.

I actually like the idea of titles changing hands (very occasionally) at house shows. Reminds me of when WWF did it; it gives a sense of a promotion as a real sport federation, beyond its weekly TV.

I do wonder what the "real" reason was. Maybe it really was to promote house shows a bit?