Telephoto Lens advice needed for Canon DSLR

2»

Comments

• Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP

which make of lens did you get in the end? The canon?

I am sure 250mm will be long enough to take zoo fences out of focus.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just noticed this thread

I've rarely had a need for anything much over 150mm so I've continued with an 18-200mm sigma DC OS I got a very good deal on some years ago. However I recently needed to upgrade and after much research decided I couldn't justify the canon 70-200 L with IS and IS is a must for me so that knocked out the cheaper L version.

But I did find a great deal of praise for the canon 70-300mm IS so I managed one at around £205 quid +p&p secondhand off ebay - with filter and lense hood. So far its been a great improvement on the sigma, a lttle softer at the 300mm end but still a significant improvement and nothing I can't put right in photoshop for the average shot.

this lense has a rrp of £650 and even at amazon price of £320 would be good value IMHO. I know even that's a bit much for many but it can be had second hand for around the £200-£220 mark and that makes it a bargain especially as, and I quote:
    The optics of the Canon EF 70–300mm f/4–5.6 L USM lens include 19 elements in 14 groups, two of which are ultra-low dispersion (UD) glass (that is normally reserved for the L series)
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    OP

You don't take zoo fences out with a long lens. You need wide aperture, get close to the fence and use manual focus (other advice is equally valid!)
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    Very good :)

You should be very pleased with those....very few examples of camera shake.

Some of the yellow flowers are over exposed, but more experience should sort that out...or learning about exposure compensation.
    Looks pretty sharp. For the water shots, try it on the lowest ISO setting and the highest aperture (ISO 100, F>22) with as long an exposure as you can have and the water looks really funky.

Thank you Waj_100 & Smudges Dad :), I will try try the lowest ISO as I am pretty keen to learn as much as I can whilst gaining experience :)
    another fan of low iso for not blowing out highlights.

you won`t be disappointed with your lens even after a while op, it`s fantastic for the money.

I will try the lower ISO next time I go there to take photos, it's crazy really as the same images on my Facebook account are nowhere near as Vibrant as the same images on my Flickr account, so some stick out more than others in regards to detail & exposure. Believe me I am extremely impressed with the lens, considering it is my first telephoto zoom lens with IS, my previous lens (70-210), had really bad shake to it & stopped focusing once the battery dropped to a certain level.
    OP

I got the Canon 55-250 II, I was considering the Tamron 70-300 but found it quite heavy and difficult to maintain focus, even with the VC (their version of the IS) switched on.
    bspace wrote: »
    just noticed this thread

I've rarely had a need for anything much over 150mm so I've continued with an 18-200mm sigma DC OS I got a very good deal on some years ago. However I recently needed to upgrade and after much research decided I couldn't justify the canon 70-200 L with IS and IS is a must for me so that knocked out the cheaper L version.

But I did find a great deal of praise for the canon 70-300mm IS so I managed one at around £205 quid +p&p secondhand off ebay - with filter and lense hood. So far its been a great improvement on the sigma, a lttle softer at the 300mm end but still a significant improvement and nothing I can't put right in photoshop for the average shot.

this lense has a rrp of £650 and even at amazon price of £320 would be good value IMHO. I know even that's a bit much for many but it can be had second hand for around the £200-£220 mark and that makes it a bargain especially as, and I quote:

Superb deal you got there :)
    You don't take zoo fences out with a long lens. You need wide aperture, get close to the fence and use manual focus (other advice is equally valid!)

Thanks for the tip, as it is something that I am keen to learn & nothing wrong with a bit of trial and error along the way, with regards to manual settings. Next week weather permitting, I will be going to Thrigby Hall, which is in no way as big as the likes of Africa Alive & Banham Zoo, but will give me chance to take some more shots, for which I will put onto Flickr. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP

I think the canon was a good choice. I think marque lenses are better (and dearer) than the independents. I am sure you will enjoy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

do you not?

personally, I would get close to the fence, go to 150mm or plus, and get a close up on the animal.

a standard lens would just give you a shot of a cage for the most part, surely.