DAVINA Didn't Make This Show. NICK Did.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
Forum Member
Master Bateman FTW :)

Though I would settle for Victor................then Brian.

:D

Comments

• BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    Indeed.

If it hadn't been for Nick's 'dastardly masterplan' in series 1, its unlikley there would have been a follow up series, let alone 11 of them.

The show was limping along up until that point , at which it caught fire.

I salute you Master Bateman!
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given how most of us are aware of Big Brothers (the producers) manipulations these days, I'm surprised that people still give Nick all the 'credit' for 'making BB'. If BB hadn't ejected Nick from the show, and then hyped up the 'nasty Nick' angle via various means, then the show might not have taken off.

All Nick did was write some names on bits of paper, the story blew up because BB (on the face of it) kicked him out as a result. More likely, IMO, is that BB saw an opportunity to get coverage far beyond its cult audience, and took full advantage of it.

Nick himeslf bemoans the fact that they kicked him out, saying it was a relatively minor offence, yet he dosden't seem to have two and two together and thought that perhaps they kicked him out for the media coverage rather than the gravity of his offence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given how most of us are aware of Big Brothers (the producers) manipulations these days, I'm surprised that people still give Nick all the 'credit' for 'making BB'. If BB hadn't ejected Nick from the show, and then hyped up the 'nasty Nick' angle via various means, then the show might not have taken off.

All Nick did was write some names on bits of paper, the story blew up because BB (on the face of it) kicked him out as a result. More likely, IMO, is that BB saw an opportunity to get coverage far beyond its cult audience, and took full advantage of it.

Maybe. He still had to do it in the first place though. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member

Nick himeslf bemoans the fact that they kicked him out, saying it was a relatively minor offence, yet he dosden't seem to have two and two together and thought that perhaps they kicked him out for the media coverage rather than the gravity of his offence.

Nah. :D
  • AstuteAstute Posts: 4,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • AstuteAstute Posts: 4,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That may be so, but he took the flack for it( quite a bit of it for one individual) and they benefitted from the publicity .
    He needs to get a bit of credit after all these years.
  • Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Maybe. He still had to do it in the first place though. :)

That was incidental. In retrospect, it seems obvious that Endemol had something up their sleeve to project the show beyond its limited audience. Who's to say that they wouldn't have pulled some other stunt with the same intention as and when the opportunity became available - and an opportunity would've become available. In fact, it should be noted that BB knew about the notes long before the HM's rumbled Nick. They let the story play out when, if their primary concern was ensuring the rules were adhered to, they would have stopped it immediatley.

BB made the story by letting it carry on then ejecting him. If BB stopped it immediatley and let Nick stay, their would be no story, and arguably no future BB's.
  • dizzyblondedizzyblonde Posts: 5,897
    Forum Member
    Both NIck and Victor were crucial. Nick initially, and Victor for keeping it going -

"TV critics, notably Ally Ross (The Sun TV Critic), have credited Victor for saving the Big Brother UK franchise, by stirring controversy and his 'straight talking' attitude towards housemates. The previous year's show had been criticised for being dull, leading to record low viewing figures and a subsequent drop in eviction votes. Viewing figures increased this year to an average of 7 million every night."

(Wiki)
  • mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BBLBC wrote: »
    Master Bateman FTW :)

Though I would settle for Victor................then Brian.

:D

Remember the UBB show before Victor went in well it all started from there this year for me.
    I know he was in BB1 and did some naughty things which he became famous for. However for this UBB Victor and Nick have made the show for me. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There would have been more shows without Nasty Bateman
    he is not the reason it went on.