Who has been your fav and least fav winners.

Comments

• Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Favourite: Alesha & Matthew, Darren & Lilia
    Least Favourite: Tom & Camilla (the only winner to win by changing the rules and through Len's crazy scoring of that AS :rolleyes:)
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    Monkseal wrote: »
    Least Favourite : Darren Gough - I found everything about him very disingenuous, and didn't really like most of his dances. Also, he did The Worm. No.

Favourite : Alesha Dixon - just by the measure of how overinvested I got in her winning. I've become much more even-keeled since those days of ferocious fanism.

This^^^^

(especially the bit in bold)
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourite: Alesha & Matthew, Darren & Lilia
    Least Favourite: Tom & Camilla (the only winner to win by changing the rules and through Len's crazy scoring of that AS :rolleyes:)

Well I'm sure Tom himself didn't change the rules :rolleyes: Regardless of that semi-final, he won because of that showdance, basically, which was Camilla's stroke of genius.
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really have any least favourite winners, as the public voted for them in their series, as the couple they liked the most, and in different ways they all deserved it.The negativity to Darren and Lilia I can get a bit tired of, as the public wanted him to win and Lilia did some wonderful routines. I found Colin and Erin a bit boring, and his ballroom was very skippy. Also, Darren did more to encourage people to dance than any winner before or since including me. Perhaps he can be given a bit of credit for that.

My overall favourite winner overtaking Jill and then Mark, has to be Kara, who was unbelievably beautiful and special to watch. Overpoweringly good. Gorgeous, perfect, almost a ballerina. I don't think we'll see that quality again, not in this series. Aside from talent, you need to be driven, and I don't see that from anybody...yet.

I was only personally indifferent to Alesha and Matthew, as thought her latin was massively over rated, lovely ballroom though. Didn't get Tom and Camilla either, because I thought she was much better with Gethin, but they sure as hell deserved to win at the end. I was never excited by Harry and Aliona but I don't think the public was wrong in picking the winners that they did. It's only personal preference and taste in the end.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'm sure Tom himself didn't change the rules :rolleyes: Regardless of that semi-final, he won because of that showdance, basically, which was Camilla's stroke of genius.

He was way ahead before the showdance - he won the semi-final public vote, had to win the public vote in the first part of the final and obviously did so in the final two. I don't think the showdance ever particularly helps somebody because the public have made their mind up going into the final and nothing short of the celeb punching their pro in the face will change their mind.

But he certainly didn't win because of the 'changing of the rules'. He won because he was the most popular with the public and the only other contender for the title, Austin, was eliminated as the maths didn't work out for him.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moonbean wrote: »
    Gosh, I can't believe how many people didn't like Tom and Camilla, they're my favourite ever (he was just such a boyant dancer and so light on his feet).

That's the DigitalSpy crowd for you.:D

Most likely he was one of the most popular winners ever (in terms of voting figures).

Also, I agree, he's my favourite winner ever. That Foxtrot, Quickstep, Showdance, Tango... wonderful :)
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    He was way ahead before the showdance - he won the semi-final public vote, had to win the public vote in the first part of the final and obviously did so in the final two. I don't think the showdance ever particularly helps somebody because the public have made their mind up going into the final and nothing short of the celeb punching their pro in the face will change their mind.

But he certainly didn't win because of the 'changing of the rules'. He won because he was the most popular with the public and the only other contender for the title, Austin, was eliminated as the maths didn't work out for him.

Yeah, I agree, I don't really understand the mentality of "he won because of the showdance". Did people not watch the rest of the series? No dance-offs despite being low on the table on occasion (unlike Rachel, Lisa and Austin), got through to the final because the public voted him top regardless of the fact they couldn't even save him... He was always going to win!
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree, I don't really understand the mentality of "he won because of the showdance". Did people not watch the rest of the series? No dance-offs despite being low on the table on occasion (unlike Rachel, Lisa and Austin), got through to the final because the public voted him top regardless of the fact they couldn't even save him... He was always going to win!

But that's the only reason he did win - if you watch the final he was still making many mistakes which were all pointed out to him - too much rise and fall etc. and he almost fell over as well. He didn't score highly throughout the series either as you point out, because he was mediocre. He won for the same reason why Chris Hollins won - the showdance was good, and he was more popular with the voting women than the two girls were.
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But that's the only reason he did win - if you watch the final he was still making many mistakes which were all pointed out to him - too much rise and fall etc. and he almost fell over as well. He didn't score highly throughout the series either as you point out, because he was mediocre. He won for the same reason why Chris Hollins won - the showdance was good, and he was more popular with the voting women than the two girls were.

He didn't win just because of the showdance. The showdance added credibility to his win in spite of the fact he was bottom of the leaderboard (although I personally would take issue with some of the marks one of the other finalists in particular was awarded - I think we all know who I'm talking about) but he was already the most popular with the viewing public.

Methinks from the tone of your post you're still a little bitter - if he was "making many mistakes" how come he scored 35 and 38 for the dances in the final? We've seen Craig in particular isn't afraid to score low even in the final. He certainly didn't "almost fall over" - it was a stumble for which all the judges praised him for the recovery. And he wasn't "mediocre throughout the series" - a quick look at his marks proves that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the marking awarded to *Snowdon* cough, sorry just typing her name brings back Austin memories I've got over, sort of, was crazy. 80??!!!!! Bloody hell, if she was worth 80, I'd have given Kara 120.

Tom and Camilla (she must be given credit for creating the showdance) were the most popular with the public. Finis. Some may just have to deal with it.
  • latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only started watching at series 3

Faves Mark & Karen, Darren & Lilia and Alesha & Matthew

Least faves Tom & Camilla, Harry & Aliona,
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch the first 3 series and only watched Mark's year sporadically. I felt that Matt was a much better ballroom dancer than Mark was a latin dancer, but being the less sexy of the two disciplines, he was always destined to come second. (I am a non-dancer though, so those who know about dance can laugh at my conclusions, I won't mind). But I wasn't really invested that year, so am pretty neutral about the result.

Since then, the only time I really haven't been behind the winner on final night was when Tom Chambers took the glitterball. He never did anything for me when he danced and I preferred both ladies to him, but particularly Rachel - she is surely the best SCD competitor not to have won? Last year, I was back to being almost indifferent come final night, though maybe with just a slight bias toward ChelseePet going in. But Harry put on the best show on the night, so I was satisfied with the result.

So my picks are as follows -

Faves:
    Alesha & Matt
    Chris & Ola
    Kara & Artem

Neutral:
    Mark & Karen
    Harry & Aliona

Not happy:
    Tom & Camilla
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch the first 3 series and only watched Mark's year sporadically. I felt that Matt was a much better ballroom dancer than Mark was a latin dancer, but being the less sexy of the two disciplines, he was always destined to come second. (I am a non-dancer though, so those who know about dance can laugh at my conclusions, I won't mind). But I wasn't really invested that year, so am pretty neutral about the result.

Since then, the only time I really haven't been behind the winner on final night was when Tom Chambers took the glitterball. He never did anything for me when he danced and I preferred both ladies to him, but particularly Rachel - she is surely the best SCD competitor not to have won? Last year, I was back to being almost indifferent come final night, though maybe with just a slight bias toward ChelseePet going in. But Harry put on the best show on the night, so I was satisfied with the result.

So my picks are as follows -

Faves:
    Alesha & Matt
    Colin & Ola
    Kara & Artem

Neutral:
    Mark & Karen
    Harry & Aliona

Not happy:
    Tom & Camilla

Colin and Ola?;):D

Just thinking about that, with Ola's height, now THAT would be a mismatch!:D
  • kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourites

Mark & Karen - probably because I have watched cricket for years, knew how shy and anxious he was and was :eek:when I heard he was doing it. I thought he'd be dreadful

everyone else I've been pretty happy with except

Darren and Lilia - I didn't hate him, I just thought the other two were better
    Tom and Camilla - they just irritated the hell out of me though their show dance was fabulous
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote: »
    Colin and Ola?;):D

Just thinking about that, with Ola's height, now THAT would be a mismatch!:D

Thank you! I have just time to edit and I can't even blame having Colin on my mind (which would be understandable).
  • River ManRiver Man Posts: 2,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favs
    1. Ramps & Karen
    2. Kara & Artem
    3. Jill & Darren

Least Favs
    1. Natasha & Brendan
    2. Goughy & Lillia
    3. Chris & Ola
  • bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourites: Mark & Karen then Alesha & Matt - both had the Wow factor

Least favourite: Darren & Lilia
  • SuzieQ12SuzieQ12 Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Favourite - Kara and Artem.

Least favourite - Tom "he's getting married soon" Chambers and Camilla.
  • VirgilHiltsVirgilHilts Posts: 2,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shall preface this by saying I didn't see the Tom Chambers or Alesha Dixon series.

Favourite Winners
    Mark & Karen. Because for me sums up what SCD is (or should be) about. Speaking as a huge cricket follower, I knew Ramps as an incredibly insular, intense, stroppy and shy character so seeing him on the show was in itself a massive shock. To then see him turn out to be a bloody good dancer, and one who looked as if he loved dancing, was a brilliant and totally unexpected surprise. Plus he worked so well with Karen.

(Honourable mention to Kara & Artem - she's just so cute, how can you not like her?)

Least Favourite Winners
    Jill & Darren. She was good but she was good before the show started so there was no sense of progression or delight in finding a hidden talent. Plus Darren always struck me as a rather smarmy Mr Entertainment type.

(Dishonourable mention to Chris & Ola - average at best)

"We wuz robbed Brian"
    Ricky & Natalie - one of the best dancers the show has ever seen and who suffered the greatest injustice, at the hands of a perma-grinning hobbit.

(Plucky runners-up - Colin & Erin, the best dancer in that series by a mile, denied by Erin's brainfart in their showdance.)
  • beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Fave: Harry and Aliona, Chris and Ola
    Least Fave: Tom and Camilla (Austin should have won instead of Tom in that year - Austin was robbed!!)

From Hayley

:DI'm so glad you said that....I feel sometimes I'm the only one who is still upset about poor Austin .... if someone was robbed it was Austin.
    AND Tom and Camilla were my least favourite EVER! Even got annoyed last week when he was in a celebrity dance!
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fave has to be Kara and Artem for me. I was happy for Alesha and Matthew and Chris and Ola too. But I've kind of gone off Alesha and Chris since so their wins don't mean as much now.

Least fave Tom and Camilla, and Harry and Aliona. I can't really remember any of their dances now and just found them too bland.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a favourite as such but ones I liked and was happy they won would be:

Darren and Lilia - his enthusiasm and determination to show that anyone could dance, even an initially overweight "loutish" Yorkshire cricketer (and before anyone complains, I love Darren :) ), did wonders for promoting dancing as something blokes could do. Yes Colin and Erin were technically better that year but they really missed a trick with the showdance and deservedly didn't win because of that.

Mark and Karen - not really a fan of Karen but she worked wonders with someone who was so unbelievably shy and retiring and their Argentine Tango will go down as one of my all time favourite dances ever.

Alesha and Matt - just a wonderful partnership and I loved watching them dance together, they entertained, they provided emotional and they just made me smile with happiness to watch.

Chris and Ola - again I don't care whether he was technically the best dancer or not, watching him dance and the enthusiasm and determination with which he went at it gave me joy and, for me, that's what it should be about.

Didn't really like:

Tom and Camilla - just didn't see what other people did, I wasn't impressed with his dancing other than the tap based show dance routine which was, with justification, superb and deserved the praise it received. Other than that, I'd found him to be Mr Bland.

Harry and Aliona - again I found him to be utterly lacking in charisma and his routines didn't engage me at all.

The rest of them I wasn't bothered that they won, I could see why they did and had mostly enjoyed their performances.
  • MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will someone please remind me what happened to Austin that put him out of the competition and made Tom win, 'cos I honestly can't remember? Yet obviously everyone else can - loads of people have raged about what happened to Austin.
  • jackiebopsjackiebops Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faves
    Alesha and Matthew - just got swept away with the energy and their great partnership
    Kara and Artem - just adored her personality and she was an amazing dancer, and again a great partnership

Not really liking
    Tom and Camilla - never a fan of her at all and austinwozrobbed !!!!
    Harry and Aliona - he just didnt light my fire although a good dancer - and I adored little Chelsee and Pasha !
  • intjintj Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My fave three winners :

1. Alisha and Matthew
    2. Kara and Artem
    3. Jill and Darren

My least fave three winners :

1. Chris and Ola
    2. Darren and Lilya
    3. Natasha and Brendan

The couples I thought should have won