Options

Norfolk Broads Boating Holiday

coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I pick up a cruiser on Tuesday to navigate the Broads for 7 days and its 30 years since last time we went

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to stop / visit /places to visit etc

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pick up a cruiser on Tuesday to navigate the Broads for 7 days and its 30 years since last time we went

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to stop / visit /places to visit etc

Thanks

Done it a few times, and just take your time, still pubs, tea rooms, lovely countryside everywhere. Don't plan it in advance just go with it.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get yourself a map,it lists all the pubs and places to visit I think you pick up a map at the boatyard, Norwich is a nice place to moor especially if you can get a place opposite the cathedral.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Opposite the Cathedral? The river doesn't run near it. *confused*
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The river is fairly close to the Anglican Cathedral (Tombland) but it's a long way from the Roman Catholic Cathedral (top of Grapes Hill).
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.632268,1.299938&spn=0.00336,0.008701&t=m&z=17
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went on the broads last year for the first time - went with Richardson's at Stalham, was brilliant and I'm going back in October this year.
    Your boatyard should have a copy of Broadcaster - it's the Broads Authority's guide and it has a map of the Broads and suggestions of things to do and places to eat.

There's loads of lovely pubs and cafe's on the Broads - the Dog at Ludham Bridge, The Bridge at Acle (you have to pay to moor there but get the money back if you eat there). The chippy at Reedham is lovely too.

Tip if you're going to cross Breydon Water - go at slack water (an hour after high tide) and KEEP WITHIN THE CHANNELS!!!! It's quite shallow if you stray outside the markers and it will cost you to have your boat towed off if you run aground. I found the bit going in & out of Great Yarmouth a bit claustrophobic - the banks are quite high and the bridges low but it's a lovely crossing if the sun's shining.

Your boat will have the height on it - beware of that when going under bridges - you will need a pilot to go under Wroxham bridge and it will cost you and the pilot's decision is final! If he won't take you under you can't go!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    The river is fairly close to the Anglican Cathedral (Tombland) but it's a long way from the Roman Catholic Cathedral (top of Grapes Hill).
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=52.632268,1.299938&spn=0.00336,0.008701&t=m&z=17
    There are so many buildings between the river and the cathedral that you can't moor up with a view of the Anglican Cathedral.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know what I meant is certain places you get a lovely view of the cathedral. Sorry :o. Oops meant church. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you make it to Norwich and back in a week? We looked at this last year and decided not to go to Norwich as we weren't sure that we could get to Norwich and back to Stalham in a week with everywhere else we wanted to go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you would. But I'm not a boaty person and have no idea how far it is via river.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only 50 miles from Stalham to Norwich which I've found out is about 10/11 hours crusing, so yes it does look like it's possible in a week! Wish I'd found that site last year - but as this year we can't cross Breydon Water we can't do Norwich.

We had thought about mooring at Wroxham and catching the train in to Norwich, but I think we're going to extend our trip for a day or so and get a cheap hotel in Norwich and then explore the City from there!
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't remember anywhere specific we went when we did it.. just went to some lovely walks and pubs and we of course visited Norwich too. A really enjoyable relaxing holiday, you will love it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    It's only 50 miles from Stalham to Norwich
    It's only about 13 miles as the crow flies, or about 15 miles by road, but very much further by boat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    It's only about 13 miles as the crow flies, or about 15 miles by road, but very much further by boat.

Yes I should have made my post clear that it was 50 miles by boat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I went and enjoyed it immensely,so much so much so I am going again in October

It is possible to get to Norwich and back in the week

Oulton Broads was my fave place,we parked up outside the Wherry pub and it is a must on Thursday evening if you enjoy Power Boat racing

Wroxham was nice but very busy on the water until around 6pm

Beccles was nice , pity about the low bridge,we did actually go under that on our last visit in the 90's

There were 4 bridges that we didn't get under due to our size according to the boat plating,as our boat was a dual steering jobby on the upper deck,great in the sunshine,this made us tall or via the lower deck if it rained

Wroxham,Beccles,Wayford bridge (but we didn't even go there) and Potter Heigham

Pucky,why can't you cross Breydon waters ?

Great Yarmouth was great but market is very strange with 20% of the stalls selling CHIPS !!!

An evening at Gay staithes produced some excellent fishing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed your holiday. We loved it last year, that's why we're going again - going 18th October and we're hiring a Broadsman from Richardson's at Stalham.

We can't this year because of the time of the tides, and you need to cross at slack water. This is going to be early evening when we go and it'll be getting dark. You can't drive a hire boat on the Broads in the dark!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed your holiday. We loved it last year, that's why we're going again - going 18th October and we're hiring a Broadsman from Richardson's at Stalham.

We can't this year because of the time of the tides, and you need to cross at slack water. This is going to be early evening when we go and it'll be getting dark. You can't drive a hire boat on the Broads in the dark!

We booked through Richardsons of Stalham,great people

We saw the Broadsman along the way and thought they looked great boats

I understand the need to go around and hour before and around an hour after low tide,but there is two low tides per day,can't you get there for the morning low tide ?

We stayed in Yarmouth overnight and so we timed our departure to leave at the best tide for us,although we only just made it back across BW on the return trip,
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the weather is good the Broads are just gorgeous. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We booked through Richardsons of Stalham,great people

We saw the Broadsman along the way and thought they looked great boats
    Yeah I'd go with them every time, they were great last year and so far this year. We've been saving for months to be able to afford the Broadsman! Bit of an upgrade on the Magic Gem we had last April. What boat did you have this time and what one are you getting in October?
    I understand the need to go around and hour before and around an hour after low tide,but there is two low tides per day,can't you get there for the morning low tide ?

We stayed in Yarmouth overnight and so we timed our departure to leave at the best tide for us,although we only just made it back across BW on the return trip,
    Unfortunately the time of the tides and sunrise/sunset won't make it possible for us to cross this year - but there's still plenty to see on the Northern Broads.. We'll perhaps do the Southern again next year!!
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Well I went and enjoyed it immensely,so much so much so I am going again in October

Didn't notice this thread until you got back!!

Glad you enjoyed yourself

We have been at least once a year for the last 20 years. For the last 13 years we have hired a yacht (we learned to sail on the Broads)

You will find October much much quieter even if you're going at half term and should be able to get in at most moorings in places like Wroxham and Horning. We always hire a dinghy to make sure we aren't stranded the wrong side of the river for the pub :o

If you're missing the Broads here's a link to some good webcams including Oulton Broad

http://www.norfolklive.org/

And if you want a forum deicated to the broads here's the best one

http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/

Anything I can help with just PM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're missing the Broads here's a link to some good webcams including Oulton Broad

http://www.norfolklive.org/

And if you want a forum deicated to the broads here's the best one

http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/

Anything I can help with just PM

My OH posts on that Forum, quite a good one he says! Also check out the vlogs from "London Rascal" who posts there - they can be found under "The Captains Blog" on YouTube. Lots of boat reviews and videos, and they're quite good and informative to watch.

We go in 65 days! (I'm not counting - I have an app that is! ;):D )
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I remember from going many years ago you have to be very careful not to arrive in Gr Yarmouth as the tide is running out as it runs down the river very fast and makes boat handling for novices very tricky.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Roy's still in Wroxham? I remember finding it amusing that all the shops were owned by a guy called Roy when I was a kid haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Is Roy's still in Wroxham?
    Yes, sure is.
    http://www.roys.co.uk

Roys describe themselves as being the world's biggest village store but I suspect that Wall Drug in South Dakota might dispute that claim.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    From what I remember from going many years ago you have to be very careful not to arrive in Gr Yarmouth as the tide is running out as it runs down the river very fast and makes boat handling for novices very tricky.
    Thinking further on this, I think I must be remembering the situation relating to North Quay by the side of the Bure rather than further south where the Yare flows out via Breydon Water .
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is possible to get to Norwich and back in the week

Oulton Broads was my fave place,we parked up outside the Wherry pub and it is a must on Thursday evening if you enjoy Power Boat racing

Wroxham was nice but very busy on the water until around 6pm

Beccles was nice , pity about the low bridge,we did actually go under that on our last visit in the 90's

There were 4 bridges that we didn't get under due to our size according to the boat plating,as our boat was a dual steering jobby on the upper deck,great in the sunshine,this made us tall or via the lower deck if it rained

Wroxham,Beccles,Wayford bridge (but we didn't even go there) and Potter Heigham

Great Yarmouth was great but market is very strange with 20% of the stalls selling CHIPS !!!

An evening at Gay staithes produced some excellent fishing
    Oh, you mentioning all those places bought back some wonderful memories from the times we went boating there. Desperate to go back and do it again, but it'll be a couple of years yet.
    Glad you enjoyed it :)

Just out of interest, if you don't mind me asking, How much was your boat?