Options

Ever had an AIDS test?

vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
Forum Member
✭✭
..and the others natch. Speaking to some folk it seems the norm and responsible - my position - for others it seems anathema.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope nor have I had tests for any STDs.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only incidentally when I was diagnosed with leukaemia and they tested for other stuff as well (with my permission).
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah a couple of times. I didn't have anything, thanks be to God.( and condoms)
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i was going to after a needle stick but just had a hep test in the end.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm, you know, 'sexually active' then I get a full check every 6 months, largely because I'm a hypochondriac, but it is something that most people are advised to do regularly.
    Not really a big deal IMO, just the bus fare to GUM clinic.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a full blood test about two weeks ago (nothing to do with AIDS but I imagine it would show up) and an STD test about a year ago just to be sure... everything good thankfully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah twice, both negative.

It's a scary wait though, even though you've been careful.
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    When I'm, you know, 'sexually active' then I get a full check every 6 months, largely because I'm a hypochondriac, but it is something that most people are advised to do regularly.
    Not really a big deal IMO, just the bus fare to GUM clinic.

Or you could use some protection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Beaks wrote: »
    Yeah twice, both negative.

It's a scary wait though, even though you've been careful.

Oh yes. An even scarier wait if you've been less careful!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abcd wrote: »
    Or you could use some protection?

I do, and I make sure he does too, but I worry and it's not a big deal to get checked.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been twice - both negative.

Just interested if it had crossed over into being a thing people did or whether it still had any stigma around it. I didn't feel in any way dodgy doing it - just part of modern life.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes for HIV as part of blood tests when pregnant. It's optional - and I knew I was ok deep down - but still unnerving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abcd wrote: »
    Oh yes. An even scarier wait if you've been less careful!

Well, this is true. The second time was after i woke up in a hotel room in west africa with a woman -- i remember putting the thing on, but its a bit hazy after that.
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, never. Not a deliberate omission, just never really thought about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is a stigma around an 'AIDS test' but usually if you go for a full check up, for any reason, then the hospital will take bloods to test for everything (HIV, hepatitis, syphilis etc).

There was certainly a huge stigma when I was teen.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean a HIV test :)

Yes I have, me and my ex both went to get checked out before we stopped using condoms and they tested for everything.

It never fails to amaze me the amount of people I know who sleep with a lot of people, not always protected, and don't get tested for anything. I'd freak out completely.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    whether it still had any stigma around it. .

I've never been to Black St myself ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

You're right :blush:
    Yes I have, me and my ex both went to get checked out before we stopped using condoms and they tested for everything.

It never fails to amaze me the amount of people I know who sleep with a lot of people, not always protected, and don't get tested for anything. I'd freak out completely.

First bit - that's why I did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

Glad I'm not the only one.

A little surprised so many people are horrified at the thought tbh. No protection is 100% and it's responsible to be checked regularly IMHO.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been twice - both negative.

Just interested if it had crossed over into being a thing people did or whether it still had any stigma around it. I didn't feel in any way dodgy doing it - just part of modern life.

I thought I was doing a really responsible thing getting checked, and I still think I was. But the GUM clinic was so busy it took days of going in at 7am to get an appointment later in the day.

I commented to the nurse, when making small talk, that the place was so busy and wouldn't it be great if they could get more funding for better facilities. She said to me "well if people didn't have unprotected sex, we wouldn't have so many people visiting us."

Horrified, I told her that I hadn't been having unprotected sex but had become aware of scary campaigns telling me to get checked anyway, etc. She then told me of some horror stories of young people having unprotected sex and getting AIDs, aged 20. I don't think she believed that I was just having a routine check.

This was before the days of home STI checks. I believe Lloyds now do a pretty comprehensive home screening these days you can order online, including HIV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I commented to the nurse, when making small talk, that the place was so busy and wouldn't it be great if they could get more funding for better facilities. She said to me "well if people didn't have unprotected sex, we wouldn't have so many people visiting us."

Horrified, I told her that I hadn't been having unprotected sex but had become aware of scary campaigns telling me to get checked anyway, etc. She then told me of some horror stories of young people having unprotected sex and getting AIDs, aged 20. I don't think she believed that I was just having a routine check.

Sounds like a really bad sexual health nurse :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I thought I was doing a really responsible thing getting checked, and I still think I was. But the GUM clinic was so busy it took days of going in at 7am to get an appointment later in the day.

This was before the days of home STI checks. I believe Lloyds now do a pretty comprehensive home screening these days you can order online, including HIV.

Christ, I wouldn't do a home check. Do they even exist?

Is a test normal if you are pregnant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Beaks wrote: »
    Well, this is true. The second time was after i woke up in a hotel room in west africa with a woman -- i remember putting the thing on, but its a bit hazy after that.

Safer than an Essex girl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, I wouldn't do a home check. Do they even exist?

You can get things you wee in and send for chlamydia but I had no idea you could for HIV and such.