VIACOM (CBS) now own c5... neighbours will be axed for sure!

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Their is no way they will continue with a £30 million Aussie soap, when they could put that money to better use.

Comments

• jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Why would Neighbours be axed? It gets good ratings and itis ALWAYS higher than Home and Away...
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may not axe but I can see them demanding the contract renewal for far less than they paid for it first time around. Neighbours isn't on Ten anymore either. Infact the only thing keeping it on air at all is probably the UK deal.
    Forum Member
    They may not axe but I can see them demanding the contract renewal for far less than they paid for it first time around. Neighbours isn't on Ten anymore either. Infact the only thing keeping it on air at all is probably the UK deal.

Other countries watch Neighbours as well. It may not be on Ten anymore but it is rated quite well in Eleven.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

Its not shown in Australia anymore??:confused:
    Forum Member

Yes, it is shown in Channel Eleven now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Why would Neighbours be axed? It gets good ratings and itis ALWAYS higher than Home and Away...

Five partly fund the production costs for Home & Away. Its basically the closest thing to their own soap now. Its totally different to Neighbours which is on a contract.
    Other countries watch Neighbours as well. It may not be on Ten anymore but it is rated quite well in Eleven.

Its on Eleven. Ten axed it for low ratings.
    Forum Member
    Yes, it is shown in Channel Eleven now :)

Ok Thanks.Is that classed as a less prestigious channel or a downwards move?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok Thanks.Is that classed as a less prestigious channel or a downwards move?

Think E4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes but they don't pay 30 million pounds for it.
    Forum Member

Very true. Actually Fremantle Media has increased the budgets now and is willing to hold on to Neighbours for as long as possible. They have recently spent millions on the new gardens last year and they are planning to spend more money on sets. I think the show is safe for several more years. I'm sure Channel 5 will want to keep Neighbours for as long as possible. The special episodes are always a ratings winner. Eg: The Kate shooting episodes from last Monday.
    Forum Member
    Think E4.

Gotcha!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true. Actually Fremantle Media has increased the budgets now and is willing to hold on to Neighbours for as long as possible. They have recently spent millions on the new gardens last year and they are planning to spend more money on sets. I think the show is safe for several more years. I'm sure Channel 5 will want to keep Neighbours for as long as possible. The special episodes are always a ratings winner. Eg: The Kate shooting episodes from last Monday.

We will see but it makes more sense from a cost point of view to just ditch Neighbours and use some of the MTV shows in its teat time slot. 300 million is a lot of money when Viacom have so many of their own shows stock piled. Many of them proven ratings winners. We will probably see Channel Five flooded with them.
    Forum Member

It is actually 300 million pounds, not 30 ;). But yeah in the next contract renewal, they will probably pay less than that. Maybe 250 million, who knows!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is actually 300 million pounds, not 30 ;). But yeah in the next contract renewal, they will probably pay less than that. Maybe 250 million, who knows!

Yes I know. That was a typo. Neighbours is costing Five 300 million for ten years.

Five won't pay that again. Not when Home & Away only costs them 10 million a year. So 100 million over the same ten year period. Ironically Five poached H&A for 40 million from ITV.

I've always said Neighbours moving to Five was the beginning of the end for the show.
    Forum Member
    Are there any other Oz soaps bar Neighbours and Home and Away?Isnt there one called E Street?
    Forum Member
    Yes I know. That was a typo. Neighbours is costing Five 300 million for ten years.

Five won't pay that again. Not when Home & Away only costs them 10 million a year. So 100 million over the same ten year period.

Wow I didn't realise Home and Away is 10 million a year :o. Yeah you're right, they will never pay that amount of money again. The next contract renewal is 2017 I believe? It's going to be interesting to see what the new owners will do. I will be very disappointed if Channel 5 axed the show because Neighbours has been ongoing for almost 30 years. But the quality have dropped! Home and Away rates well in Australia so even if Channel 5 axes it, Home and Away will be fine :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow I didn't realise Home and Away is 10 million a year :o. Yeah you're right, they will never pay that amount of money again. The next contract renewal is 2017 I believe? It's going to be interesting to see what the new owners will do. I will be very disappointed if Channel 5 axed the show because Neighbours has been ongoing for almost 30 years. But the quality have dropped! Home and Away rates well in Australia so even if Channel 5 axes it, Home and Away will be fine :)

Well they send the show 10 million for production costs. They may pay more for the contract but Five have Home and Away on a life of series deal. So as long as Home and Away is on air Five have to show it.

Its the same deal Five offered to NBC for Sunset Beach in 1999. When NBC declined the offer and SB was axed Five stole Home and Away from ITV with this very same offer as they needed a replacement daytime soap.
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E Street ended in May 1993!

It was on Network Ten (7.30 pm) and was great - a lot more fun than Neighbours with storylines about serial killers, drug addiction, car bombs, and, er, werewolves...

Poor old Neighbours has always had a pretty 'daggy' reputation in Australia and the ratings had been slowly declining for years. Eventually figures got so low Ten moved it to their second channel, eleven - definitely a downwards move and a less prestigious channel.

When the c5 contract expires it will be re-negotiated and the program's cost and ratings closely scrutinised. But that was always going to happen no matter what.
    Forum Member
    E Street ended in May 1993!

It was on Network Ten (7.30 pm) and was great - a lot more fun than Neighbours with storylines about serial killers, drug addiction, car bombs, and, er, werewolves...

Poor old Neighbours has always had a pretty 'daggy' reputation in Australia and the ratings had been slowly declining for years. Eventually figures got so low Ten moved it to their second channel, eleven - definitely a downwards move and a less prestigious channel.

When the c5 contract expires it will be re-negotiated and the program's cost and ratings closely scrutinised. But that was always going to happen no matter what.

I wouldnt push for Neighbours to be axed but it sounds semi inevitable?You agree?

So theres no other worthy Oz soap in your estimation that would be good on UK tv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt push for Neighbours to be axed but it sounds semi inevitable?You agree?

So theres no other worthy Oz soap in your estimation that would be good on UK tv?

In hindsight I don't think they will axe Neighbours as its ratings are too strong for them but there is no way they will pay anything close to the 2007 deal again.

If Five ever did need another soap they might go back to one of the American one's given that's what its new owner is. I don't think they ever tried The Young & The Restless but its rights could be more than the Neighbours contract! I know they couldn't buy the Sunset Beach repeat rights as they were too much.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Now an American network owns Channel 5, what are the chances of a US Soap making a return to UK screens? They could possibly replace Neighbours with one :blush:;-):p
  • MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Neighbours is pretty dependant on c5. If c5 won't pay as much for the show, you can bet the budgets will be cut (again). If c5 do not renew the contract Neighbours will be in real trouble I think.

The only two Australian made five nights a week soaps are Neighbours and Home and Away. Australia does make plenty of quite successful one hour dramas - Offspring, Winners and Losers, Puberty Blues, House Husbands, Wentworth, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Mr & Mrs Murder, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Redfern Now. Don't know if any of these have made it to the UK though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neighbours is pretty dependant on c5. If c5 won't pay as much for the show, you can bet the budgets will be cut (again). If c5 do not renew the contract Neighbours will be in real trouble I think.

The only two Australian made five nights a week soaps are Neighbours and Home and Away. Australia does make plenty of quite successful one hour dramas - Offspring, Winners and Losers, Puberty Blues, House Husbands, Wentworth, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Mr & Mrs Murder, The Doctor Blake Mysteries, Redfern Now. Don't know if any of these have made it to the UK though?

Only Wentworth. While successful (I think they claimed it was their most successful import since CSI) it also suffered because of the delay between Australia and the UK. So once the first episode aired here most viewers rushed online to watch the rest of the episodes before Five had a chance to air them.

The same thing will probably happen this year as Wentworth starts 20th May in Oz but Five aren't planning to air it until September.

However Wentworth is very cheap. Its a cable drama so costs little in rights for Five. Had it been on Seven then it would have cost them a fortune. This might change though as the DVDs were a surprise hit in the UK. So SoHo might start asking for more money.
  • sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm desperate to watch Wentworth but I will be watching online because I can't wait till September. Shame Wentworth ratings may be affected.
    Forum Member

I dont think any of them have made it to the UK-Any in particular youd recommend?