Forum Member
✭✭✭
If so, what is it that appeals?

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quality of the wood they use, plus I find the instructions very clear. The price is lower than it would have been because they make us do all our own picking and build it ourselves but I think their stuff is better designed and lasts a long time.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love IKEA stuff. Looks smart and tidy, clear instructions that make things simple to build.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst loving their products, I used to hate how they 'force' you to go all round the store to buy anything, so I was conflicted. Now I know how to bypass the individual depts. and go straight to the warehouse, I just have the love. :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their products are good but the shops are hell. The way they put bollards in the way so you can't wheel your trolley to your car is pure evil. I (plus toddler son) once got stuck in their car park for over an hour thanks to their nightmarish traffic layout.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    IKEA - Are you a fan?

No, I'm more of a coffee table.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I love simple, bright, Scandinavian-style design. That said, I don't yet own any Ikea furniture, not having a store nearby, but will do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I only go for the pebbles.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought my sofa from IKEA, has a 25 year guarantee - was bloody expensive though.

Have a few bits and pieces from IKEA, they do things ranging from super cheap to pretty expensive and the quality rises along with the price.

We have a chest of drawers in our bedroom that was less than £200 and is now 7 years old - looks as good as new.

The building gets left to OH though!
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be quite sad but I enjoy building their flatpack furniture, it's quite therapeutic in a way :D
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only go for the pebbles.

Haha! That reminds me of picking some on Bridlington beach with my ex.

She wanted to go to IKEA for that very reason, until I said "Why don't we pick some from the beach"?

Washed thoroughly, they looked great in the bowl (which we went to IKEA for!).
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »
    It might be quite sad but I enjoy building their flatpack furniture, it's quite therapeutic in a way :D
    Try saying that when your fingers are aching from a few hours' worth of tightening bolts with Allen keys. The pain :cry:
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like their small furniture and kitchen ware but find their duvet covers so stuck in the 80's
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just this minute put together a TV cabinet I bought from IKEA.

I really like it, I find their cheap range so much better quality than other's.

I only go now we have one in my city though, we've only had it a few years. Before then, I did know people who would make a day of going to an IKEA about 100 miles away. That I don't understand...
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only thing that annoys me about Ikea is how they don't include screws and rawlplugs in wall mounted products (or at least not in the stuff I buy). They say it's because 'all walls are different', or some such guff, which I suppose if you're comparing country to country (as opposed to houses within the same country) is probably true, but it must be frustrating if you don't generally have these small things around the house and find you've got to make a second trip to B & Q or something to buy them.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it quite staggering how many I've been to.

Leeds, Warrington, Nottingham, Coventry, Wednesbury, Milton Keynes, Wembley, and Edmonton.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I love IKEA stuff, especially their kitchen stuff. I have these lovely glass plates and bowls from there. Going to IKEA is like a day out for me :D (well it might as well be with how long it takes to get there and back by bus), I love the food there as well.
  • Options
    Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Quality of the wood they use, plus I find the instructions very clear. The price is lower than it would have been because they make us do all our own picking and build it ourselves but I think their stuff is better designed and lasts a long time.

Agree with all that, plus a lot of their designs are timeless. I have an IKEA sofa which you could easily stick in a 1950s or a 2014 living room, it's just such a simple, smooth design.

Same with my book cases, plus I can flip them vertically or horizontally. They're that sturdy I can even sit on them.

I also quite like that you still have to put in a bit of effort i.e. build the stuff yourself once you've bought it.
    Hm, I think I love IKEA more than I've ever cared to think about!
    And I haven't even mentioned the super yummy Swedish meatballs :kitty:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you need to choose wisely otherwise it goes from stupidly cheap for some really quite rubbish stuff to ludicrously expensive (by which I mean almost bespoke furniture prices) quite quickly for what is fundamentally a bit of flat pack furniture.

That said, I find their style suits me and that I have in fact got rather a lot of Ikea stuff in my house.

so yes, I am a fan
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a fan myself. Being a 'mo, pretty much all my friends have entirely Ikea-dominated houses, and I've always found it all a bit generic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with all that, plus a lot of their designs are timeless. I have an IKEA sofa which you could easily stick in a 1950s or a 2014 living room, it's just such a simple, smooth design.

Same with my book cases, plus I can flip them vertically or horizontally. They're that sturdy I can even sit on them.

I also quite like that you still have to put in a bit of effort i.e. build the stuff yourself once you've bought it.
    Hm, I think I love IKEA more than I've ever cared to think about!
    And I haven't even mentioned the super yummy Swedish meatballs :kitty:

I had a portion of meatballs for the first time ever about 2 weeks ago (I've been using Ikea since the days when they only had the branch on the North circular) and I wasn't impressed... I won't be having any more... gotta love the hotdog and chips plus drink for a quid though :D
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ok if you don't mind furnishing your home with the same kind of stuff as millions of others. It's like joining a big club, you hardly need to ask where your friends have bought an item. Just raise your eyebrows, and they'll say...yes, that's right, IKEA.
    You can almost bet that they wear GAP clothing as well. Or is that Habitat customers ?
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    It's ok if you don't mind furnishing your home with the same kind of stuff as millions of others. It's like joining a big club, you hardly need to ask where your friends have bought an item. Just raise your eyebrows, and they'll say...yes, that's right, IKEA.
    You can almost bet that they wear GAP clothing as well. Or is that Habitat customers ?

Why does it matter? As long you like what you have in your home it doesn't matter if millions of other homes have the same thing. I've never understood the snobbery about that.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never been in one. I don't mind flat pack stuff, but I've got mine from Argos. No car, and the nearest IKEA that I'm aware of would require one.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Haha! That reminds me of picking some on Bridlington beach with my ex.

She wanted to go to IKEA for that very reason, until I said "Why don't we pick some from the beach"?

Washed thoroughly, they looked great in the bowl (which we went to IKEA for!).

If everyone did that, there would be none left >:(
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    I'm a big fan of Ikea stuff, especially their modular shelving and wardrobe systems, which mean you can flex them to fit your space and needs.

Never had any problems putting things up, and a lot of things have been taken don and put up 3 or 4 times with room changes, house moves etc. Our old dining table (which folds in half) is still going strong after best part of 20 years.

The trick is to rush through the Marketplace, which is otherwise designed to suck money out your wallet, and know the space you have before you go