linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So anybody getting Ipad 4?

Comments

• Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little bit soon after the ipad 3 is it not?

I was going to get the ipad 4, presuming it was next year, so will wait for the 5 instead!
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess something was wrong with the iPad 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    A little bit soon after the ipad 3 is it not?

I was going to get the ipad 4, presuming it was next year, so will wait for the 5 instead!

I seriously doubt they'll release it before next October now. But then again you probably would have said something similar 7 months ago!

Either way, a retina iPad with an A6X is a very compelling proposition to be honest. This chip is the fastest thing on the market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Ballsy move, pissing off their customers that have just bought the iPad 3 because it was the best one out there.
  • man_bear_pigman_bear_pig Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    what a complete sh*tter , last week i bought my daughter an ipad 3 for christmas from currys , 6 months interest free . the box hasn't been opened and is still covered in cellophane , i wonder if i could return it ? then buy the ipad 4
  • robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a complete sh*tter , last week i bought my daughter an ipad 3 for christmas from currys , 6 months interest free . the box hasn't been opened and is still covered in cellophane , i wonder if i could return it ? then buy the ipad 4

I think you have 28 days to return.
  • pumazoomapumazooma Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some Apple stores in the States are already offering free swaps for IP4. If it's a 'policy' it'll filter across here too. Worth a trip to your local store to find out if you're within 30 days of purchase.
  • caboosecaboose Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I guess something was wrong with the iPad 3.
    The rubbish battery life compared to the ipad 1 and 2 ?
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will the price come down on the ipad 3? It's still an awesome piece of kit!
  • Goldbear86Goldbear86 Posts: 1,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still happy enough with my iPad 3 so won't be upgrading.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Will the price come down on the ipad 3? It's still an awesome piece of kit!

No I believe its now a "lost generation" of hardware. IPad 2 still available but iPad 3 removed from their product lineup.
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    I can't believe how Apple get away with things.

The iPad4 is the iPad3 with a slightly faster processor and a different dock connector.

There is absolutely nothing extra or needed over the iPad3.

Yet apple have removed the 3 because the micro difference between the two will not pull the punters. Comparing it against the 2 is much better. :rolleyes:

It seems a strange move still...

If jobs was alive I 100% believe that the iPad4 wouldn't have been launched today. It's deflected slightly from the iPad mini too and it's zero difference from the last model doesn't look special enough.
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »

The iPad4 is the iPad3 with a slightly faster processor and a different dock connector.

It seems a strange move.

If jobs was alive I 100% believe that the iPad4 wouldn't have been launched today. It's deflected slightly from the iPad mini too.

I think that's what's slightly odd. Launch a new product range but at the same time upgrade your flagship device early. Seems a slightly odd marketing game from apple.
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    I think that's what's slightly odd. Launch a new product range but at the same time upgrade your flagship device early. Seems a slightly odd marketing game from apple.

As with the iPhone 5 dullness and the iOS6 shambles ... Apple are loosing it a bit.

iMac seems to be going ok ish.
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yet apple have removed the 3 because the micro difference between the two will not pull the punters. Comparing it against the 2 is much better. :rolleyes:

It seems a strange move still...

If jobs was alive I 100% believe that the iPad4 wouldn't have been launched today. It's deflected slightly from the iPad mini too and it's zero difference from the last model doesn't look special enough.

"Slightly faster processor"? Given how much faster the iPhone 5 is over the 4S, one would presume a similar speed bump here for the iPad. If that's your definition of "slightly", I'd love to know what your definition of 'significant' is. :eek:
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    As I said on the other thread I bought an ipad 3 yesterday as a gift for someones birthday this weekend...do you think I can rip it out of their hands and go 'actually I am going to try and take it back to exchange it next week?!' Hmmmmm
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe they figured they had to push it forward given how much faster the iPhone is to their supposed 'flagship' iPad.
    Forum Member
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    "Slightly faster processor"? Given how much faster the iPhone 5 is over the 4S, one would presume a similar speed bump here for the iPad. If that's your definition of "slightly", I'd love to know what your definition of 'significant' is. :eek:

According to Apples "Froth and Bollocks" its what.. Up to double? Wow..just like the last?

But what will ever push it on ipad?. And tbh how much faster can I open a email?

And there is no performance issues with the ipad3 .. You could even say the ipad2

A CPU and port update is not a new product, just a lame hardware swap. At one time apple product updates were updates.
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ipad "with retina display" is such a bizarre choice of name considering "the new" ipad already had retina display. Ipad "with different connector and faster cpu" would be more accurate and less confusing.

I have to admit that I'm a bit gutted that my "new ipad" is no longer new lol. Indeed 7 months since it was released, it's as if it never existed now looking at the apple website.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I said in the other thread that this must have been to re-align the release schedule to the "fall" / "holiday season", like with the iPhone (although that had a delay to cause the shift, rather than an extra release!).

I guess that someone at Apple decided that the increased sales from moving the release to this time of year would more than offset all the pissed off iPad 3 owners...

I think it's also possible that the iPad 3 as released was only ever meant as a stop-gap. I'd bet that it only had the "A5X" because the "A6" wasn't ready in time, as it was Apple's first truly custom chip, using the newer ARM architecture, rather than just an "off the shelf" standard ARM design.

The naming is a cock-up, I think. "New iPad" (which had a "Retina display") replaced by... "iPad with Retina Display".

I'm sure that it will sell shitloads, but we'll have to wait and see the effects of angering all those who bought an iPad 3 expecting that there wouldn't be an update until next spring... I know one person who has now decided "screw this" and is selling his iPad and iPhone and getting a Surface plus a new Lumia, but tbh I think people like that will be in the minority.
    But what will ever push it on ipad?. And tbh how much faster can I open a email?

Games will push it, just as they did with the 2 and the 3...
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the next update for Ipad will have a back like Ipad mini and be as thin but a 9.7" screen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats most confusing for me is the 'iPad 4' is being refered to as 'iPad with Retina Display'... yet the 'iPad 3' had retina display aslo but was never refered to as this :confused:
  • kikifikikifi Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I got mine on Saturday from Carphone Warehouse. Who do I need to contact if I want to replace with iPad '4' Apple or Carphone Warehouse? They really are starting to annoy me about this.

Especially as i have an iPhone 5 and still there is no connector for my docking stations etc and when there is we have to pay £25 for it.
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would guess that in reality its the case that they can't currently get a retina device to be viable at the lower price point After all it would be cheaper from a production pov if they had iPad3’s as the budget model as it shares more with the iPad4.

Not sure why anyone really cares mind you. My iPad2 is still a device that works perfectly so iPad3 users shouldn't have any issue with the speed of their devices. The only reason to complain is if your a tech snob who has to have the latest product but in that case the problems with you and not Apple as you aren't forced to buy every version. You could just wait like with any new technology until you really need to upgrade
    Forum Member
    Waffles wrote: »
    Whats most confusing for me is the 'iPad 4' is being refered to as 'iPad with Retina Display'... yet the 'iPad 3' had retina display aslo but was never refered to as this :confused:

Because it is the iPad3 still......Just with a slight hardware update.