Options

Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• Options
    Thomas_CraigieThomas_Craigie Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I can't stand international sporting events like the Olympics or the World Cup, where BBC and ITV start their "how many famous people can blag a free holiday for 2 weeks under the guise of being 'pundits'"

Also, Warwick Davis.
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My answer to the question would be, "The cue ball will continue along its present course, according to the laws of Newtonian mechanics, until such time as it makes contact with another ball, a cushion, or falls into a pocket, the third possibility being the most likely, as otherwise the situation would be unlikely to have called for the question to be asked."

Newtonian mechanics? Have they replaced Kwik-Fit fitters? And when does the ball, not falling in the pocket, stop in this analysis? Cos if you've perfected perpetual motion you need to get that patented!
  • Options
    SarahsaurusSarahsaurus Posts: 3,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz_James wrote: »
    Newtonian mechanics? Have they replaced Kwik-Fit fitters? And when does the ball, not falling in the pocket, stop in this analysis? Cos if you've perfected perpetual motion you need to get that patented!

Newton's First Law states that an object will remain at rest or continue in a straight line at the same velocity unless acted on by an external force. Clearly because of energy loss due to the force of friction acting upon it, the ball cannot continue in motion indefinitely. However Virgo generally asks his question when the ball is heading at some speed towards a pocket and so either the ball will fall into the pocket or fail to do so and strike a cushion, or in less common circumstances, another ball, and then come to rest after it. Thus the immediate question of whether or not the ball will fall in the pocket is answered and the force of friction is not really a factor.

It is possible that the ball could be heading straight towards the pocket at sufficiently low velocity that indeed the only reason it stays out is that it comes to rest before it falls in, but I don't think I've heard a "Where's the cue ball going" exclamation from Virgo in such an instance. It would sound pretty daft.

Even more daft than it normally does.
  • Options
    WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    John Virgo asking "where's the cue ball going?" after every other shot.

NOOO!!! That's hilarious :D:D:D:D

As mentioned, it's become a somewhat Virgo catchphrase - it usually raises a collective giggle from the crowds watching matches live when it happens and the ref has to tell them to pipe down :D
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertising of yoghurts

Remember in the old days when they used to advertise yoghurt to everyone, based on its taste? Now it seems it can only be advertised as a 'good bacteria' digestion aid for young mothers on the go! and women who like to do twirls in fields (judging by how many times this appears)

Along with the pop science (contains bacterium digestibarium!) there's always an annoying cutesy tag line, "great for tums, mums and full of yum" or something just as infantile.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    John Virgo asking "where's the cue ball going?" after every other shot.

Almost as bad as Dennis Taylor's excessive drawing of lines and dots all over the screen showing where he thinks the player is aiming at.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Now it seems it can only be advertised as a 'good bacteria' digestion aid for young mothers on the go! and women who like to do twirls in fields (judging by how many times this appears

Things I learned from TV adverts:

94) During menstruation, women's blood turns blue, and they like to wear tight white trousers and engage in a variety of extremely energetic activities whilst laughing maniacally and pointing their bottoms at any passing camera.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that both Eggheads and Countdown even exist and that they have been ruining early evening television for what feels like several decades.
  • Options
    Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    How long some advert breaks are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The fact that both Eggheads and Countdown even exist and that they have been ruining early evening television for what feels like several decades.

The fact that people are allowed to watch who make baseless, ignorant, stupid comments about it on DS!

Ruining early evening TV is quite a charge for a programme that finishes at 15.00 and for another that takes up just half an hour on one of the 100 plus channels currently available on Freeview alone.
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    John Barrowman putting on a Scottish accent when talking to Scottish people and then going back to American when talking to a non-Scot or addressing the viewers.

He's always been very open about this, that when he goes back to Scotland, he tends to end up falling back to his Scottish accent, often without realising..
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vetinari wrote: »
    Things I learned from TV adverts:

94) During menstruation, women's blood turns blue, and they like to wear tight white trousers and engage in a variety of extremely energetic activities whilst laughing maniacally and pointing their bottoms at any passing camera.

:D:D:D
    Also when they advertise nappies the baby's urine is blue or purple. I'd be straight down to A&E with the nipper :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz_James wrote: »
    The fact that people are allowed to watch who make baseless, ignorant, stupid comments about it on DS!

Ruining early evening TV is quite a charge for a programme that finishes at 15.00 and for another that takes up just half an hour on one of the 100 plus channels currently available on Freeview alone.
    My mistake - I meant Pointless. I haven't watched Countdown for about thirty years.
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeremy Paxman not telling us the answer to the interrupted question at the end of University Challenge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Final Score when the pundits discuss at length something which only they can see on their television monitor. It's Television, it shows pictures and if they cannot show us the pictures about which they are effusively speaking they should shut up instead of being so obviously superior to the rest of us who haven't paid mega bucks to have 44 soccer matches live screened into our homes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On early morning TV when the weather forecaster refers to 'tomorrow' meaning 'today' as they show the recording made at 9.00pm the previous evening.
  • Options
    Oicho ThrowOicho Throw Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's always been very open about this, that when he goes back to Scotland, he tends to end up falling back to his Scottish accent, often without realising..

I hope not. His Scottish accent's about as convincing as a Torchwood plot. Whenever he does his little "AH WELL HOWDY Y'ALL AH JUST GIT SO SCATCH WHEN LITTLE OL' ME GOES BACK TO GLASBURGH" spiel it always makes me think of this Chewin' the Fat sketch for about five seconds.

Then I start loudly informing the television that he's a ****en mock Jock bawbag and if he tries that pish roond here ah'll ****in' nut him, ah ****in' swear tae God, square ****en go ya chancin' hoor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This constant talk about "box sets", when they're just a series of programmes that haven't been anywhere near a box.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    This constant talk about "box sets", when they're just a series of programmes that haven't been anywhere near a box.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds that immensely irritating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News cutting short interviews so they can show promotions for up-and-coming BBC Dramas, Soaps etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promoting trailers for Panorama and similar programmes as 'news'.
  • Options
    yviebabeyviebabe Posts: 6,050
    Forum Member
    iamian wrote: »
    Jeremy Paxman not telling us the answer to the interrupted question at the end of University Challenge.
    YES! That drives me potty!!!

Also: switching on the TV, any time, day or night, and it's always in the middle of an ad break.

Plus: The rolling credits at the end of a great programme being squashed into the corner so the upcoming programme can be advertised. So disrespectful.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yviebabe wrote: »
    YES! That drives me potty!!!

Also: switching on the TV, any time, day or night, and it's always in the middle of an ad break.

Plus: The rolling credits at the end of a great programme being squashed into the corner so the upcoming programme can be advertised. So disrespectful.
    Charlie Brooker took the piss out of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrm2dj6bIU0
    :D
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The American format of recapping every 5 minutes what we have just seen and showing what is coming up.

This was spoofed by Mitchell & Webb in the Gift Shop Sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc
    Agreed that infuriates me intensely the produces really must think we have memories like the proverbial goldfish. Commercial TV excels at it at the end of part one hinting whats coming up in part two and then at the start of part two reminding us of what we saw 5 or 10 minutes ago. Still I guess it makes for cheaper programming and enables 40 minutes of original programming to be dragged out to an hour with the ads and everything. God help us all if C4 insist on this nonsense with GBBO that will be another reason not to watch it. Speaking of which I had to smile at some sales figures for Paul Hollywoods cook book selling round about just 10, 000 copies with Mary Berrys far outstripping it in sales as was Nadiya Hussains. I wonder if people thought no I don't want his book because he's stayed with the show or if it simply was inferior and not worth buying in comparison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeeBoy19 wrote: »
    Agreed that infuriates me intensely the produces really must think we have memories like the proverbial goldfish. Commercial TV excels at it at the end of part one hinting whats coming up in part two and then at the start of part two reminding us of what we saw 5 or 10 minutes ago.

It's considered essential in the US because it is notoriously a nation of channel hoppers. As the number of channels has increased in the UK it's only natural that the technique should start to appear over here. It has nothing to do with the state of your memory. It's designed to hook viewers who haven't actually seen the preceding minutes as they pass.