Are Triple Play Blu Rays becoming even more worthless now

Comments

• wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theshane wrote: »
    I did say go into a shop.
    But since you mention it.
    Shawshank Redemption: http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSearch.do?searchUID=4142655891511520741&pGroupID=0&adultFlag=false&simpleSearchString=Shawshank+Blu+ray&primaryID=0&btnSubmitSearch.x=0&btnSubmitSearch.y=0

The normal Blu Ray is half the price of the DVD/Blu Ray.
    That's just one I spotted the other day.

Yeah lets compare a Disc that's been out since 2008 to a Pre-Order that's in a collectible Steelbook. Its like calling a 1million pound house over priced by using a small terrace house as a comparison.

Oh and Steelbooks are Limited Edition. They don't usually say Limited Edition in the spiel over here due to marketing guidelines (They do in other countries however) but the simple fact is the production of Steelbooks is alot more expensive and complex than the regular Bluray cases that the distributors will buy in their many millions so fewer are produced.

They also produce fewer as it maintains a market for Steelbooks as the improved look only goes so far. People collect Steelbooks because they are collectible which wouldn't be the case if they were as many as a normal bluray release
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    You're not really getting this confidence TRICK thing are you? You're not being tricked so there's no con.
    It's not rocket science.

Oh we'll, keep sulking.

You're the one who decided to pick over "con trick"
    I've posted a definition. From a dictionary. But I'm guessing from the fact you've ignored it about 4 times, you're above the dictionary definition of things.
    I've also stated no body forces you to buy anything. But you've ignored that multiple times as well.
    But don't let ignoring things I've already said get in your way of trying to be smart.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I go on a train journey I tend to be in company or I have a book and some music.
    I own a film to watch and I've spent money so I've got a good set up. I wouldn't, and don't, see the point or attraction in watching a film on a tiny phone screen or a laptop.
    And if I was going on a journey abroad or round a swimming pool I most certainly be taking my laptop with me.

Well isn't it fortunate that your life has no need for DVD copies of films.
    What a coincidence :rolleyes:

Enjoy your book on the train, let's hope you don't get conned into buying the parchment edition too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    You seem to missing the point entirely, just as the examples I linked to there is no evidence that they stick an extra couple of quid on top. For every Blu Ray that contains a DVD or a downloadable there will always be a single Blu Ray that will be more expensive.
    What your really trying to say is that you don't actually mind paying £15 for a Blu Ray, just as long as it doesn't contain anything extra you may not want that gives the illusion that you've payed more for it.

There's no evidence, so I am making it up?
    That combo packs are, on the majority of occasions, more expensive that single Blu Rays?
    If I was particularly bored tomorrow on my day off I'd scientifically price check My local HMV to prove my point, but that's a bit sad, and Sky have a James Bond channel on all day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're the one who decided to pick over "con trick"
    I've posted a definition. From a dictionary. But I'm guessing from the fact you've ignored it about 4 times, you're above the dictionary definition of things.
    I've also stated no body forces you to buy anything. But you've ignored that multiple times as well.
    But don't let ignoring things I've already said get in your way of trying to be smart.

I don't recall seeing any links to dictionary definitions, your own definitions don't validate anything.
    I haven't ignored your comments about no one forces you to buy anything - because that totally contradicts your own argument. The way you're carrying on about "cons" would indicate you are being forced....please try and be clear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well isn't it fortunate that your life has no need for DVD copies of films.
    What a coincidence :rolleyes:

Enjoy your book on the train, let's hope you don't get conned into buying the parchment edition too.

If I've upgraded to Blu Ray why would I want or bother with a DVD? It doesn't seem very eye roll worthy and it doesn't seem at all odd.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    You did, and do pay extra for the combo packs.
    Where I live we have an HMV, Morrisons, Tesco and Asda, all selling Blu Rays, and I've never once, out with a sale, seen a single packaged Blu Ray priced less than a Combo pack.

And if I've bought a Blu Ray, I am obviously wanting the best possible picture quality, so why would I want to watch it on my phone, my tiny phone rather than a big screen tv?
    You can rent films from iTunes for that, if that's how you want to watch your films.

So if you've not seen a single packaged Blu Ray priced less than a Combo pack, what are you complaining about? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing any links to dictionary definitions, your own definitions don't validate anything.
    I haven't ignored your comments about no one forces you to buy anything - because that totally contradicts your own argument. The way you're carrying on about "cons" would indicate you are being forced....please try and be clear.

I've been clear.
    I've given a copy from the dictionary app that I have on my phone.
    I don't see how it contradicts my argument when I've never mentioned "being forced" into anything.
    And I originally only mentioned 'con' once, twice tops, you've been the one who brought up 'con tricks' and 'being forced'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copied from dictionary:

con4    [kon] Show IPA adjective, verb, conned, con·ning, noun Informal .
    adjective
    involving abuse of confidence: a con trick.
    verb (used with object)
    to swindle; trick: That crook conned me out of all my savings.
    to persuade by deception, cajolery, etc.
    noun
    a confidence game or swindle.
    a lie, exaggeration, or glib self-serving talk: He had a dozen different cons for getting out of paying traffic tickets.

Persuade by deception - No!
    Abuse of confidence - No!
    A lie - No!
    Exaggeration - No!

The DPs and TPs tell you exactly what you get for your money. No deception, no lies, NO CON!
  • PES 2009PES 2009 Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I go on a train journey I tend to be in company or I have a book and some music.
    I own a film to watch and I've spent money so I've got a good set up. I wouldn't, and don't, see the point or attraction in watching a film on a tiny phone screen or a laptop.
    And if I was going on a journey abroad or round a swimming pool I most certainly be taking my laptop with me.

That's down to your personal preference.

I, like many others enjoy watching the odd movie on my tablet.

DVDs and Blu Rays are grossly overpriced to begin with, studios don't need any excuses for charging excessive prices.

Last Blu Ray I bought was cheaper as a triple play so if anything it offered better value for money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    So if you've not seen a single packaged Blu Ray priced less than a Combo pack, what are you complaining about? :confused:

Sorry, I'm about 3 different placed on here at the moment.
    More.
    That should be I've never see a single Blu Ray priced more than a combo.
    The combo packs are always more expensive.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And if I've bought a Blu Ray, I am obviously wanting the best possible picture quality, so why would I want to watch it on my phone, my tiny phone rather than a big screen tv?
    You can rent films from iTunes for that, if that's how you want to watch your films.

Prometheus BD + Digital Copy is less than £15. I can watch the BD in my lounge, or watch the digital copy wherever I want on my iPad.

If Prometheus was available *only* as a BD, I very much doubt that it would be any cheaper, given that it's a new film. But, if it was available on its own, and I then wanted to watch it on my iPad as well, I'd have to rent it from iTunes at £4.49 a time, or buy it separately from iTunes at £13.99... which would bring the total to more than £15.

Much better to still pay just ~£15 total, but get the digital copy too...

If I've upgraded to Blu Ray why would I want or bother with a DVD? It doesn't seem very eye roll worthy and it doesn't seem at all odd.

Do you have a Blu-ray player in every room in your home, or just the lounge?

I have a BD player in my lounge, and a DVD player in the bedroom. BD+DVD combos mean that I can watch the film in the lounge if necessary. Digital Copies mean I can watch the film wherever I want on my iPad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Copied from dictionary:

con4    [kon] Show IPA adjective, verb, conned, con·ning, noun Informal .
    adjective
    involving abuse of confidence: a con trick.
    verb (used with object)
    to swindle; trick: That crook conned me out of all my savings.
    to persuade by deception, cajolery, etc.
    noun
    a confidence game or swindle.
    a lie, exaggeration, or glib self-serving talk: He had a dozen different cons for getting out of paying traffic tickets.

Persuade by deception - No!
    Abuse of confidence - No!
    A lie - No!
    Exaggeration - No!

The DPs and TPs tell you exactly what you get for your money. No deception, no lies, NO CON!

Ok.
    So if your dictionary says that.
    Mine says
    "con - a swindle in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property"

Are saying that your dictionary is more right than mine because there's a difference in wording?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Prometheus BD + Digital Copy is less than £15. I can watch the BD in my lounge, or watch the digital copy wherever I want on my iPad.

If Prometheus was available *only* as a BD, I very much doubt that it would be any cheaper, given that it's a new film. But, if it was available on its own, and I then wanted to watch it on my iPad as well, I'd have to rent it from iTunes at £4.49 a time, or buy it separately from iTunes at £13.99... which would bring the total to more than £15.

I have a BD player in my lounge, and a DVD player in the bedroom. BD+DVD combos mean that I can watch the film in the lounge if necessary. Digital Copies mean I can watch the film wherever I want on my iPad.

If he's not watching his big tv he's with company on a train or reading a book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

I have a Blu Ray in my bedroom and Lounge for whatever difference it makes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok.
    So if your dictionary says that.
    Mine says
    "con - a swindle in which you cheat at gambling or persuade a person to buy worthless property"

Are saying that your dictionary is more right than mine because there's a difference in wording?

But the DVD isn't worthless......it works. You deem it worthless because its no good to you, still not a con because you know you're getting it when you pay your money.

What you're talking about is people buying a house in Spain only to discover a building site on arrival.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's not watching his big tv he's with company on a train or reading a book.

Good God! A book reader!
    Perish the thought.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good God! A book reader!
    Perish the thought.

Is "Irony" in that dictionary of yours?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the DVD isn't worthless......it works. You deem it worthless because its no good to you, still not a con because you know you're getting it when you pay your money.

What you're talking about is people buying a house in Spain only to discover a building site on arrival.

Anything you buy that is of no use to you is useless.

My point, and again I've mentioned this before, is rather than DVD on its own and these Combo packs, release the Blu Ray on its own rather than stiffing you, and I am not going to be the only person who finds the DVDs useless, with the DVD/download for an extra couple of quid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If for example Prometheus was just the Blu-ray how much would 20th Century Fox charge £15?

You're getting a DVD and a Digital Copy for £15.

You are paying nothing extra yet moaning about it. Studios are not inflating the price.

Marvel's Avengers is currently £15.99 on Amazon which only has a Blu-ray. This is just the normal price of BD's with or without the extras.

You dont geta DVD with prometheus, certainly not from any retailer I know, can you point me to it online.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no evidence, so I am making it up?
    That combo packs are, on the majority of occasions, more expensive that single Blu Rays?
    If I was particularly bored tomorrow on my day off I'd scientifically price check My local HMV to prove my point, but that's a bit sad, and Sky have a James Bond channel on all day.

I have had the same arguments many months ago with the same group you are arguing with now, I never got them to understand it then so you can have a go now, best of luck;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is "Irony" in that dictionary of yours?

I'm not the one who had distain for someone reading a book.

I don't care how someone watches a movie but don't stiff me with having to pay extra for those formats I don't want or need or not give me an option not to buy them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the same arguments many months ago with the same group you are arguing with now, I never got them to understand it then so you can have a go now, best of luck;)

There's nothing to understand other than pettiness and the selfish attitude of "well I don't need it" - yeah, **** everyone else who might do though.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    If you want a blu-ray/dvd combo of Prometheus you will have to buy outside of Britain like America or France where they do the combo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing to understand other than pettiness and the selfish attitude of "we'll I don't need it" - yeah, **** everyone else who might do though.

But the "well I need it" - yeah, **** everyone else who doesn't"
    Attitude Is different because?