Why would anyone buy e-Readers

1235»

Comments

• PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but when people normally have a discussion on here and they present opposing views, they normally provide evidence to back their claims up. It's all part of discussion. ;)

No, that's not how most discussions take place in forums nor how most discussions take place in life. Most people share their opinions and receive opinions without demanding to see proof of anything.

You are not forced to agree with anything I say and using the fact that I don't want to spend time looking up things I have read in the past as the basis to invalidate anything I say is not reasonable.

That said, go back as I did provide a link to someone else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    When you say something is a fact then you should show why it's a fact.

I do, and I have explained why.
    [You weren't simply stating what you thought or how you felt but saying it was a fact

Opinions do not preclude what people recognize to be facts.
    [so you were being asked to back that fact up.

And I declined.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    So you want to pay over the top on a device that is not much good for reading,

That's not a fact though, that's just your preference.
    noise747 wrote: »
    well then do so. also think of all those greasy marks from your fingers on the screen. I will stick to my kobo.

I have merely highlighted some of the advantages of using a small tablet for a reader. E-ink readers have some advantages too.

You wipe the screen when it is dirty.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's assuming someone is going to buy an iPad for just reading books - and I don't think PPhilster was saying that's what someone would do. He's just saying that he thinks that an LCD screen on the iPAd is fine for reading for long peiods - which i disagree about.

I'm not sure if you have used one of the latest iPads but the battery life is not awful on it, quite the opposite, it's very good as is the screen for anythig else. Unless you are comparing the battery life to an eInk reader?

There would be nothing wrong with say buying an iPad mini just for reading based on the book centric advantages I have previous mentioned. Some may find that to be a bit expensive but not everyone is limited by budget.

You are correct about iPad battery life. Both the large iPad and the iPad mini have the longest battery lives of both size classes of tablets.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When youre looking at 50-250ms speeds, i dont think you can call that slow.

http://www.eink.com/display_products_pearl.html
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    That's not a fact though, that's just your preference.

So we are back to where we started, the reason why people use e-ink e-readers is because they prefer them.

A lad at work used to bring a Ipad in to work so he can read at lunch, he used to have a lok at my Kobo and found he prefered it than his Ipad. Last week he came in with a Nook as they are on offer at the moment at work.

His reason, lighter, battery last longer and easier on the eyes.
    I have merely highlighted some of the advantages of using a small tablet for a reader. E-ink readers have some advantages too.

You wipe the screen when it is dirty.

Trying to keep screens clean is a nightmare, my phone is full of smudges and keeping it clean is a pain.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, when "challenged" I simply challenge back. That's what people do when they have opposing views. As I said to the other poster, you don't have to agree with me or believe me. At the very least respect that I am sharing my opinion as I respect the sharing of your opinion. These kinds of posts are about criticizing the poster, not his or her opinion. That has nothing to do with the discussion or the topic. Lets try and stay on topic please.

These are by no means ad hominems. They are criticising a poster's posts rather than the poster him/herself.

With regards to respecting opinions, I have seen posts written by you to others which say nothing more than "nonsense post" or similar things.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's assuming someone is going to buy an iPad for just reading books - and I don't think PPhilster was saying that's what someone would do. He's just saying that he thinks that an LCD screen on the iPAd is fine for reading for long peiods - which i disagree about.

Me too, I can't even stay focused on t he computer screen for long, I got to look elsewhere after a while and my monitor is pretty good.

No one in their right mind would buy a Ipad just for reading.
    I'm not sure if you have used one of the latest iPads but the battery life is not awful on it, quite the opposite, it's very good as is the screen for anythig else. Unless you are comparing the battery life to an eInk reader?

Comparing it to a E-ink reader. i know pretty well that I can take my e-book to a friends place if I am staying there for a few days and it is something I don't have to bother to recharge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, that's not how most discussions take place in forums nor how most discussions take place in life. Most people share their opinions and receive opinions without demanding to see proof of anything.

Whilst it may not be common in other forums or in your experiences in life Vallhund, it is certainly the done thing on this forum. You have been a member for two months, some of us have been here for years and as they say "when in Rome..."
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend is a bit of a technophobe, but with arthritis in her fingers, this has made reading much easier for her. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Whilst it may not be common in other forums or in your experiences in life Vallhund, it is certainly the done thing on this forum. You have been a member for two months, some of us have been here for years and as they say "when in Rome..."

No, most people offer their opinions in this forum, as is the case in all forums, without being hassled and without being addressed as someone else. You do not own this forum.
    These are by no means ad hominems. They are criticising a poster's posts rather than the poster him/herself.

With regards to respecting opinions, I have seen posts written by you to others which say nothing more than "nonsense post" or similar things.

The striking irony in your posts says otherwise.

I have continued to graciously respond to you in this and other threads and have asked that the discussions be kept on topic but now our discussions are over.

That bolded part is also made up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend is a bit of a technophobe, but with arthritis in her fingers, this has made reading much easier for her. :)

A great benefit of any type of E-Reader. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have continued to graciously respond to you in this and other threads and have asked that the discussions be kept on topic but now our discussions are over.

That bolded part is also made up.

Here are a number of examples where you denigrate other users' posts and are far from gracious. It seems you are willing to make comments but quite thin skinned when the reverse is true.

The bolded part is made up? See post #10 on this thread:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1826388&highlight=

See post 24 at the link below - the first sentence.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1828976&highlight=

This is an example where you have called a poster close-minded.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65758364&highlight=#post65758364

See post 57 at the link below - there is nothing wrong with calling people names but I'm sure you would complain if we attempted to attach a label to you
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65743096&highlight=#post65743096

Instant dismissive reply to a poster as I mentioned in an earlier post not a "challenge" as you misconstrued it
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65696882&highlight=#post65696882

Another example of being dismissive "that's a silly question"
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65726556&highlight=#post65726556

See how examples make a post stronger and more credible? :)

Oh, and I apologise for calling you Vallhund. Whilst he would enjoy stoking the flames of Mac vs PC "discussion", he was quite effective at backing up his arguments with facts and statistics, this is not something you care to do.
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    wakey wrote: »
    Tablets are obviously better for reading anything 'visual' such as magazines but reading an LCD for long periods is not good on the eyes so reading something like a book where you may very well spend over an hour reading isn't really suitable.

Additionally tablets are backlit which makes them very poor devices to use to read before bed. Anything with a backlight that's shining into your eyes (computers and TV's are as bad) as it increases your alertness and suppresses the production of melatonin which is a sleep inducing hormone. This is why 'lit' eink devices front light the screen so its not shining directly into your eyes so is less of a problem (and its why on a Paperwhite the settings hint tell you to set it lower in the dark than in bright light as it should be just bright enough to read without strain not so bright that its 'white' in look)

Ooh I didn't know that. I'd better start reading for an hour before going to bed instead of watching TV then.
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's not how most discussions take place in forums nor how most discussions take place in life.

Of course it is. You only need to look on these forums to see people providing links to back their claims up. You know like in general discussion, you forgotten the ww2 thread you started last week? ;) Or is the memory a bit too painful?:D
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You only need to look in the general discussion forum to see discussions going on, and when people are challenged on anything they go off and provide evidence. Of course some people readily come with evidence to back their claims up.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Oh, and I apologise for calling you Vallhund.

He's like a lightweight Vallhund. More obnoxious, less amusing and doesn't even have a Which? Satisfaction Survey to fall back on.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    He's like a lightweight Vallhund. More obnoxious, less amusing and doesn't even have a Which? Satisfaction Survey to fall back on.

Neither are as good as the legendary Hugh or iTracey:D
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    I just looked up Vallhund and it says:
    Temperament: Alert, Friendly, Watchful, Fearless, Energetic, Intelligent hahaha, I'm sure PPhilster would be quite happy with that!

If you want to read ebooks at any time in bright sunlight (and it doesn't have to be outside; I had the same problem on a train) then a dedicated ebook reader is better.