Options

My Mother and Other Strangers

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz_James wrote: »
    So basically like 95% of all the married couples that have ever been then?
    Even within a few hours of a day? It was like a ping-pong match of moods. I'm not even like that when it's the time of the month.

They were fine in the bedroom in the morning and then when he mentioned about her speaking to the captain, she seemed annoyed. Then when she got back later on (it seemed like it was still the morning), he didn't seem happy that all she got was a 'he'll try' response from the Captain!
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So slow, come on Rose, bonk the captain.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »

Its very slow and most of the storylines are really quite boring, don't think I will bother with this next week.
  • Options
    Baz_JamesBaz_James Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Even within a few hours of a day? It was like a ping-pong match of moods. I'm not even like that when it's the time of the month.

They were fine in the bedroom in the morning and then when he mentioned about her speaking to the captain, she seemed annoyed. Then when she got back later on (it seemed like it was still the morning), he didn't seem happy that all she got was a 'he'll try' response from the Captain!

My parents could do it within minutes, not hours! You've obviously been fortunate enough to lead a somewhat sheltered life! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, you old romantic, you!
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz_James wrote: »
    As one of the first pieces of conversation between man and wife centred on how he had met her when in England, I'm a bit puzzled as to how you can be a bit puzzled. The whole premise of the series is what it was like to be the only English woman in a Northern Irish community. And what book?

Maybe the OP is unconciously thinking of Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals (and its recent ITV adaptation) and supposes that My Mother and Other Strangers is a drama adapted from a book.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've called it a day far too slow and boring.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now I will watch any 1940s drama going, because it's my favourite decade - and I'll stick with it even if it's not great. But THIS - this is the dullest, dreariest, blandest drama on TV! :( It's such a pity - it's a quirky story and it could have a lot going for it? I will stick it out (because that's what I generally do), but the biggest problem is that the characters are so flat and uninteresting (and mostly quite unpleasant), and I just can't get bothered about them - which is the kiss of death for a drama. The boy is miscast - he should be the hub of this, but instead he's just some dumb muttering kid with zero personality who I couldn't care less about. Why Hattie Morahan is playing Mrs Durrell in the middle of this godforsaken village, only the writer knows (as the article below says, even she was even mystified by his choosing her!) - her character jars so much, I just don't think the concept works.

The only way this could have been saved is if they removed that mysterious muddy brown filter from the camera lens (that's how it looks anyway!), gave the characters some interesting lines and situations, and cranked up all the acting by a long way. Unfortunately it's too late for all that as it's a done deal, but I'm not expecting to be wowed by this any time soon...

(I did actually find this informative article, which gives some background about the series - and it's not a book, although it feels like one - the family was based on the writer's family, but that's as far as it goes.

My Mother And Other Strangers actress Hattie 'had no idea how beautiful Northern Ireland is'

I find it incredible that the writer was also responsible for The Darling Buds Of May and Ballykissangel - what's happened to him?! They sparkled - this is about as sparkly as a pot of stewed tea.)
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems (judging by the fact this thread was buried) that most have written this off.

Am I really the only one enjoying it? The performances are great. Especially a few of the child actors.
  • Options
    GordonGordonGordonGordon Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How terrible is this? This should have been on at 8 during the week or even a daytime drama. What happened to the heavy hitters at 9. It started off reasonably good too.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it seems (judging by the fact this thread was buried) that most have written this off.

Am I really the only one enjoying it? The performances are great. Especially a few of the child actors.

No. I like it. It's a grower - the more you get to know the characters, the better it becomes. This evening's episode was insightful and thought-provoking.
  • Options
    ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member

Nope....I am enjoying it too....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me 3! Fiona Button was excellent as Vera and Eileen O'Higgins has been great as Emma amongst other highlights.
  • Options
    CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm enjoying it as well! Sad to see it's the last episode next week.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roses bug eyed facial poutings are the star of this show, but it look as if she wont get her captain after all.
  • Options
    ArtygillArtygill Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Roses bug eyed facial poutings are the star of this show, but it look as if she wont get her captain after all.
    :D Yes, the actress playing Rose does have an unfortunate mannerism making her look startled much of the time.

That aside, this series has grown on me. Last night's episode was beautifully acted. Nuanced and sensitive performances by the lead characters. I'm glad I stayed with it. :)
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The review says - "In the second episode, a visit from her glamorous, troubled sister Vera ...".which is incorrect.
    That happened in last night's episode (04/12) which was episode 4 not episode 2
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is slow, but I agree with the BiB below:
    Artygill wrote: »
    That aside, this series has grown on me. Last night's episode was beautifully acted. Nuanced and sensitive performances by the lead characters. I'm glad I stayed with it. :)
  • Options
    Tony_FlareTony_Flare Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I've really enjoyed this although admittedly the pace has been rather slow - I guess I don't mind a bit of "slow TV" now and again. Glad I've stayed with it.

And having "Jim McDonald" was a bit of a bonus.;-)
  • Options
    MarreaMarrea Posts: 84
    Forum Member

No, you're not. It is a delight to watch. As you say, the performances are great. An excellent series. :) I shall be sorry when it finishes. :(
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely a grower and just right to round off Sunday evening after Planet Earth II.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I really like it, but me Mum used to say to me that I was born in the wrong decade. i know a few people who watch it each week.
  • Options
    SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This series has been a bit of a slow burner for me and, with only next week's episode to go before series 1 ends, I don't think I've been drawn in enough to really care about any of the characters, let alone Rose and her unrequited love for Dreyfuss.

Vera was rather unconvincing to my mind but I'll agree that the scenes between the two sisters were quite compelling .. at least we got to learn a bit about what makes them both tick. Emma is played by an actress far older than the sixteen years we're told she is, so it's been difficult to take to her.

The highlights for me have been the scenes featuring the two little lads .. British child actors are never usually a patch on their American counterparts, but those two boys can really act like they're unaware of being filmed - very convincing .. unlike the piss taking Yankee accents from the airmen actors! Only trouble is, the strong Irish accents used by the child actors are really hard to decipher - I had to resort once again to the subtitle button to see what they were talking about.

Anyone know what four engined plane they've been using for all the shots where they want us to believe there's a USAF base nearby?
  • Options
    ArtygillArtygill Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Well, last night's final episode was a strange one. Like the writers threw in some last minute story lines to create artificial tensions where none had existed before. One of the characters joked that it was like a French farce and indeed it was. Rather a shame after last week's fine showing.

Am I alone in feeling disappointed?