Options

Did anyone else laugh at Dr Poo?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought Stan comment about Dr Poo was so funny that would become classic shame he going to die soon.

Comments

• Options
    Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find it funny for some reason because I didnt get it. Why did he say it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marie4eva wrote: »
    I didn't find it funny for some reason because I didnt get it. Why did he say it?

He was trying to pronounce the dr name
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Oh man, I laughed hard. :D
  • Options
    Milton JonesMilton Jones Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was meant to have a racist slant to it?
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was hilarious :o
  • Options
    LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolute classic eastenders
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brilliant delivery by timothy west and they say eastenders can't do humour. :D
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was funnier what Buster said about Russell Sprout! :D
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I felt a bit childish doing so but I did have a good laugh.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member

Not really, he couldn't pronounce his doctor's name so he shortened it to 'Dr Poo,' nothing to do with the race of the doctor. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought so too (slightly) so didnt laugh. Weird sense of humour tbh and wasn't funny.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Didn't make me laugh if I'm honest. I preferred some of the other lines like the long ringer finger increasing your chance of developing prostate Cancer but making it easier to find (or wtte) and the Russell Sprouts gag. Also Buster being a dogs name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thought the same tbh. The "joke" of mentioning "Dr Poo" being based around not being able to pronounce an overseas-sounding name, as Tosh cited the doctor's full name.

So racist undertones to it I picked up, but just didn't find it particularly funny anyway. The mate called Russell Sprout joke from Buster was funnier imo :-)
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that scene, it was a sense of realism. My granddad would of made a comment like that :D
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Nan found it funny!
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it was. It says a lot about todays climate that characters such as Stan, Nick &Alfie are saying racist things when 5-10yrs ago you simoly wouldn't hear it in something like EE.

I laughed more at Stan's"dying, death, worms coming out of my eyes!" kinda shocking thing for a person who's dying to say, esp as it'd obviously cause upset to his family members. I think it was a brave thing to put into the script, but it does reflect a form of gallows humour but also the innate stubbornness that is often found in the old.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Yes it was. It says a lot about todays climate that characters such as Stan, Nick &Alfie are saying racist things when 5-10yrs ago you simoly wouldn't hear it in something like EE.

I laughed more at Stan's"dying, death, worms coming out of my eyes!" kinda shocking thing for a person who's dying to say, esp as it'd obviously cause upset to his family members. I think it was a brave thing to put into the script, but it does reflect a form of gallows humour but also the innate stubbornness that is often found in the old.

More power to TPTB - people of Stan's generation behave differently to those born in a later era - it's realistic but not really 'racist' as such (unlike Nick).

And why not?

We are all products of our upbringing.

For example the generation of people who fought in the war may not have been 'PC' as such but they helped to defeat Hitler - the greatest Evil of the 20th century. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More power to TPTB - people of Stan's generation behave differently to those born in a later era - it's realistic but not really 'racist' as such (unlike Nick).

And why not?

We are all products of our upbringing.

For example the generation of people who fought in the war may not have been 'PC' as such but they helped to defeat Hitler - the greatest Evil of the 20th century. :)

I don't think its acceptable for someone to hurt other peoples feelings because they helped defeat Hitler. I can't believe you stated that it would be acceptable just because they defeated Hitler. I didn't find the joke funny (even if it wasn't racist). It was lame (for me). You probably didnt mean it that way (I hope so).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    danyell wrote: »
    It was funnier what Buster said about Russell Sprout! :D

haha that was funny
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think its acceptable for someone to hurt other peoples feelings because they helped defeat Hitler. I can't believe you stated that it would be acceptable just because they defeated Hitler. I didn't find the joke funny (even if it wasn't racist). It was lame (for me). You probably didnt mean it that way (I hope so).

Of course I did not mean it like that.

And just because?

Millions gave their lives.

But some older people often talk in that manner - it's very realistic.

Times change - imagine living in the Victorian era - most people would be horrified at the attitudes that were common then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler was bad but it doesn't give people who defeated him the right to hurt others be it emotionally or physically which I assume from the last comment you didnt mean it.

Yeah I know the older generation joke around like that but generally speaking I didnt laugh...might be okay as a one off but maybe would lead to backlash if it became constant....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitler was bad but it doesn't give people who defeated him the right to hurt others be it emotionally or physically which I assume from the last comment you didnt mean it.

Yeah I know the older generation joke around like that but generally speaking I didnt laugh...might be okay as a one off but maybe would lead to backlash if it became constant....

I just think it is a sign of Eastenders getting it's balls back.

When it began it was renowned for gritty and edgy storylines and characters - you do not have to agree with what a character does to find them enjoyable.

Many people enjoy watching Nick or the Philth but would hate to meet such despicable people in real life. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think it is a sign of Eastenders getting it's balls back.

When it began it was renowned for gritty and edgy storylines and characters - you do not have to agree with what a character does to find them enjoyable.

Many people enjoy watching Nick or the Philth but would hate to meet such despicable people in real life. :)

True I like Stan regardless...but its one of those jokes your Grandad comes up and you think 'No grandad No *rolls eyes'.

Glad you agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True I like Stan regardless...but its one of those jokes your Grandad comes up and you think 'No grandad No *rolls eyes'.

Glad you agree.

Stan is quite simply The Man. :D:D:D
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just thought it was typical , racist, homophobic, anti-everything Stan