Samsung Galaxy S4

Comments

• Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I actually did an Amazon search and looks like they were snapped up. now at £360 to £400 from reputable sellers.

I don't call that cheap. I think £420 for the 32GB is OTT.

Ooh so they all sold out super fast, not bad for a phone that's plummeting in value etc. just proves if Apple do decide to discount they wouldnt be able to keep up with demand.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    Hey it works for Samsung. , within 3 months of release you could get a free S3 with a TAB 7 for £26 a month. Be nice for Apple to drop the price to £339 which I still can't find by the way.

Thought that this was addressing the posters desire to be shot of his iphone 5 yet in the last couple of posts you have mentioned prices of samsung phones, why is that? not very constructive or relevant is it?

It looks like there is an issuing moving iphones for them to be so dirt cheap so soon after release and this should be brought to the attention of those seeking to sell. Many people are under the illusion of this being "premium brand" and will be unaware they are now available for bargain basement prices.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Thought that this was addressing the posters desire to be shot of his iphone 5 yet in the last couple of posts you have mentioned prices of samsung phones, why is that? not very constructive or relevant is it?

It looks like there is an issuing moving iphones for them to be so dirt cheap so soon after release and this should be brought to the attention of those seeking to sell. Many people are under the illusion of this being "premium brand" and will be unaware they are now available for bargain basement prices.

Oh well, I will await the demise of Apple an cherish the memory's of my time with iPhones.
  • SPARKIE1984SPARKIE1984 Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So brand new iPhone 5s are available for under £400??

When did This happen??

Better get mine sold fast
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    So brand new iPhone 5s are available for under £400??

When did This happen??

Better get mine sold fast

I would going by some DS posters you would think they are way more expensive, once this filters through the market the prices will plummet for second hand iphones.

Probably the s4 going to work even before its release.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to this very thread the S4 appeared to drop in value on amazon on the first day orders were placed. If you would like an S4 it might be worth selling your iPhone and then waiting a couple of weeks.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So brand new iPhone 5s are available for under £400?? Better get mine sold fast
    Could be just a blip.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/03/22/early.probing.underway/
    "Without a quota these carriers can't sell the device, but agreeing to one means paying Apple for any unsold hardware"

Obviously someone is now making a loss. I wonder, among them. who has the worst 3 year contract.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Could be just a blip.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/03/22/early.probing.underway/
    "Without a quota these carriers can't sell the device, but agreeing to one means paying Apple for any unsold hardware"

Obviously someone is now making a loss. I wonder, among them. who has the worst 3 year contract.

Very interesting. One of the problems for Apple in the UK is that Vodafone and O2 cant sell the iPhone 5 as a 4G phone as it wont work on on the UK 800MHz and 2600MHz bands. This could have an impact on their quota arrangements plus sales of the iPhone 5 have been disappointing. This may well get worse when they launch 4G within a matter of weeks.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is some official investigation into Apples business practices.

The people add that Apple's terms can make it hard for other phone makers to compete; in particular the company is said to demand that carriers accept a quota for iPhone sales, typically over a three-year period. Without a quota these carriers can't sell the device, but agreeing to one means paying Apple for any unsold hardware, according to a source who negotiated with Apple while working for a European carrier. An executive at an Apple rival claims that this pressures carriers into using much of their marketing budgets on the iPhone, naturally hurting other phone makers. Another executive remarks that most phone makers actually ship less units to a carrier than they think the firm can sell, precisely for the sake of minimizing excess stock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't be surprised if there is some official investigation into Apples business practices.
    On a rising market it works and no one has forced them to sign on the dotted line.

But in a falling or shifting marketplace things would certainly gets a bit distorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like Apples demise is set in stone, I should ebay my iPhone 5 right now and buy a brand new Nexus 4 and second hand S3 with the money. Nah, I will take a massive risk and hope and pray that a company that makes $Billions profit a year can hopefully make it for another year.

I will also ignore the fact the biggest selling phone of 2012 was an iPhone (yes the 4s was beat by the S3 in Q3 and the iPhone 5 in Q4 its release quarter), but I do think Apple are in trouble..Honest I do.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That won't happen, Apple do not have a monopoly, and no one forced anyone to sign contracts. If company's signed contracts hoping to profit from speculative sales numbers then that's not Apples fault as I very much doubt the contract came with Apple promising minimum sales or return numbers.

I do worry about the depth of knowledge of some posters on here, especially when I see them offering others advice.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do worry about the depth of knowledge of some posters on here, especially when I see them offering others advice.

I'd be more concerned about people posting on here with multiple accounts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Infact the iPhone was the biggest selling phone for

Yep, Apple could be in real trouble here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Although there is a good point raised, before iPhone Nokia dominated the market for many many years. Then Nokia decided they would'nt ask consumers what they wanted they would tell us (Lipstick phone anyone) and now Nokia are struggling.

If Apple don't start listening, they could find themselves in trouble, although looking at the Samsung Galaxy S4,....Samsung better start listening as well.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That won't happen, Apple do not have a monopoly, and no one forced anyone to sign contracts. If company's signed contracts hoping to profit from speculative sales numbers then that's not Apples fault as I very much doubt the contract came with Apple promising minimum sales or return numbers.

You've got a lot to learn about UK contract law.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

Well that's some made up law right there. lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple are roughly where Microsoft were in the 1990s. They pushed things to the limit untill one day regulators took notice. Apple recently got into trouble over eBook contracts....

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013/macmillan-settles-with-doj-over-ebook-price-fixing-leaving-apple-alone-to-face-lawsuit/
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then Nokia decided they would'nt ask consumers what they wanted they would tell us (Lipstick phone anyone) and now Nokia are struggling.

Nokia are struggling as they had no direction and continual infighting amongst teams.

One thing Nokia did try though is experimenting with design - the lipstick phone was more of a production concept, the N-Gage was a good form factor for gaming (lousy as a phone).

Apple on the other hand do not ever try to push the boat out with design. They're always playing it safe. And of course in case you hadn't realised, Apple never listen to what the "public want". They tell the public what they want.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Apple are roughly where Microsoft were in the 1990s.

Not at all. Microsoft had 95% market share of computers at the time. All their main products were monopolistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    Well that's some made up law right there. lol.

My post contained no "law" at all, I was stating if these companies signed contracts on speculative sales figures then they can't start crying when those sales don't hit targets. Unless those contracts contain minimum sales promises from Apple.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    Not at all. Microsoft had 95% market share of computers at the time. All their main products were monopolistic.

not in respect of the computer market.

in respect of things like on line music sales.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Apple never listen to what the "public want". They tell the public what they want.

That in its self isn't a bad thing as often people have no idea what they want until they see and use it.

Many of the best innovations come from making a product people didn't realise they even wanted.

As Henry Ford apparently said "If I’d asked my customers what they wanted, they’d have said a faster horse."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Apple conspired with the five publishers to keep e-book prices in the iBookstore and other retailers higher than those available from Amazon.com. If the case goes to trial, US District Judge Denise Cote will seek a judicial decree stating that Apple violated antitrust law. If Apple loses, a number of plaintiffs could use the judgment as evidence against Apple in separate actions seeking monetary damages.

Those plaintiffs could seek compensation for higher prices paid for e-books plus damages. Antitrust laws allow plaintiffs to recover triple the actual damages, and in 2012 alone, those damages were estimated to be at more than $200 million.

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/13/what-could-happen-if-apple-doj-go-to-trial-over-ebooks/

Does this sound at all like Microsoft? Of course $200 Million is pocket money to Apple. So continuing with such anti competitive practices is unlikely to deter Apple. But their arrogance will be their downfall.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/13/what-could-happen-if-apple-doj-go-to-trial-over-ebooks/

Does this sound at all like Microsoft? Of course $200 Million is pocket money to Apple. So continuing with such anti competitive practices is unlikely to deter Apple. But their arrogance will be their downfall.

If Apple were found to be anticompetitive by the EU, they have the powers to fine up to 10% of revenues from the previous year, which would be up to $15Bn

Microsoft has settled for over $1Bn in class action lawsuits and hundreds of millions in fines from the EU and US before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    If Apple were found to be anticompetitive by the EU, they have the powers to fine up to 10% of revenues from the previous year, which would be up to $15Bn

Microsoft has settled for over $1Bn in class action lawsuits and hundreds of millions in fines from the EU and US before.

This has already been settled by the EU Commission with regards Apple.
    The commission has been investigating the publishers Hachette Livre, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster and Macmillan, together with Apple, over "a suspected concerted practice aimed at raising retail prices for ebooks in the European Economic Area", in breach of EU antitrust rules. It found that Amazon and other retailers were faced with "what we suspect was a concerted and coordinated demand" by the four publishers to agree to the so-called agency model, which allows publishers rather than retailers to set the prices of ebooks, and said that "the coordination of commercial behaviour between competitors – here, with the help of Apple – is forbidden by our competition rules".

"Our strong suspicion is that this was part of a global strategy to restrict competition at retail level and achieve higher prices," said Joaquin Almunia, vice president of the commission responsible for competition policy. "Whatever the publishers' initial concerns about retail prices, dealing with this situation through collusion is not acceptable. Our preliminary conclusion was therefore that this behaviour could possibly constitute an infringement."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/dec/14/european-commission-apple-ebook
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infact....

....the marketing machine is all pervasive.