Options

Strictly Final Lacking in Ballroom

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
Forum Member
Ballroom dancing is my favourite on Strictly. I love a good old Fred and Ginger foxtrot, a zany quickstep or a romantic waltz. It used to be the case in the final that the couples would perform highest scoring latin, highest scoring ballroom and a showdance (and in some years whichever latin/ballroom the celeb had yet to learn too). I feel this final has missed out on classic ballroom routines. It sometimes feels like the producers think they are still competing with The X Factor and are scared of ballroom seeming old-fashioned to the youth audience. The battle with The X Factor has long been won and young people aren't so predictable in their tastes.

Has anyone else missed ballroom from the final?

Comments

• Options
    Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit unbalanced........... so far
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you miss Frankie's showdance?
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Frankie's was enough, and it was certainly dull.
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You beat me to it. ;-)
  • Options
    gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ME. I missed the ballroom. Thank heavens for Frankie's showdance. I can't believe the producers went with TWO cha chas in judges choice (like those four actually choose) and not one of the five ballroom dances was to be seen in the entire first show.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer ballroom to latin but tonight has been fine so far for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member

Overall there will be 11 dances in the final. Out of all that only Frankie's showdance, a fraction of Simon's showdance and, as of this moment, potentially Simon's Argentine Tango are ballroom. It used to be the case that ballroom made up half or almost half of the final. So we will have a final with 1 and a bit or, at most, 2 and a bit ballroom dances. That isn't classic Strictly to me.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ballroom dancing is my favourite on Strictly. I love a good old Fred and Ginger foxtrot, a zany quickstep or a romantic waltz. It used to be the case in the final that the couples would perform highest scoring latin, highest scoring ballroom and a showdance (and in some years whichever latin/ballroom the celeb had yet to learn too). I feel this final has missed out on classic ballroom routines. It sometimes feels like the producers think they are still competing with The X Factor and are scared of ballroom seeming old-fashioned to the youth audience. The battle with The X Factor has long been won and young people aren't so predictable in their tastes.

Has anyone else missed ballroom from the final?

I have. I like the old fashioned proper dances to proper music.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Not a classic final so far.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Really missing ballroom this year. I would have liked to have seen a Fred and Ginger inspired ballroom from Simon and Kristina. I think that could have been a real showstopper, unlike Kevin's.

Shame.
  • Options
    hooliganharrishooliganharris Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    I have to say I was disappointed in the judges choices, so many amazing dances to chose from which could have made a better show. Luckily the show dances took it up a level. Looking forward to their choices - should be a great final.
  • Options
    LogopolisLogopolis Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie's showdance was basically a generic ballroom dance does that count
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the final there should be one ballroom and one latin dance each, then the show dance. Don' t bother eliminating someone, they have all worked hard let them do all their dances.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    i thought frankie's showdance was the best dance of the evening so far, and it was the closest we got to any decent ballroom tonight.

i do have to agree that the benches bit was all wrong, and i'm suprised both that frankie suggested it and the kevin let it happen. it was stilted and nervy, and totally at odds with the rest of the dance which was fabulous.
  • Options
    gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall there will be 11 dances in the final. Out of all that only Frankie's showdance, a fraction of Simon's showdance and, as of this moment, potentially Simon's Argentine Tango are ballroom. It used to be the case that ballroom made up half or almost half of the final. So we will have a final with 1 and a bit or, at most, 2 and a bit ballroom dances. That isn't classic Strictly to me.

And Argentine Tango is non-standard. Of 11 dances, NONE will be a standard ballroom dance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i thought frankie's showdance was the best dance of the evening so far, and it was the closest we got to any decent ballroom tonight.

i do have to agree that the benches bit was all wrong, and i'm suprised both that frankie suggested it and the kevin let it happen. it was stilted and nervy, and totally at odds with the rest of the dance which was fabulous.

I thought they were going to channel Fred and and Ginger jumping on and off the benches and dancing on them. Not Kevin lifting Frankie from one to another whilst she struck a pose.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the show has deviated so far from what it was originally regarding the dances !...... If I don't catch what dance the announcer says it is as the couples start dancing 9/10 I have no idea what it is they are supposed to be dancing!.......... They nearly all seem to be something you would see in a disco or on a podium!.............. They all merge into one another!.............

And as for the show dance!..... not many years back they used to have a real WOW about them!, but now I don't get excited about any of them because we are seeing the same sort of thing choreographed each week and so there is nothing different or special about any of them i'm sorry to say!................:(
  • Options
    bloggingbellebloggingbelle Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree about the lack of ballroom would have preferred to see some ballroom from Frankie and Simon
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was very unbalanced.

I don't like the concept of the 'judges choice' especially when they seemed to choose the worst dance for all of them (except Simon). It doesn't make for a great final which should be about showcasing the finalists at their best.

Just let each of the finalists choose a ballroom and a latin dance of their choice. That way if they choose the wrong dance for them, it is a choice of their own making.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Completely agree. Ballroom is being swamped, it's a damned shame as it's my favourite thing.:(
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit unbalanced........... so far

Not just so far - none of the couples' pick for favourite dance are traditional ballroom.

I think it's disgraceful how unbalanced the final is - we could have a final 3 (if Frankie goes out) where between them they haven't danced a single ballroom dance all night. That's not ok.

The judges' choices were a complete joke - it makes no sense whatsoever to not pick the dance Caroline basically fell over in! Yes, she's not as good at ballroom, but everyone else got their weaker discipline! Thankfully her cha cha wasn't much good so it didn't make a huge amount of difference, but the genre choices were advantage Caroline.

It also just didn't make sense at all to have two consecutive cha cha chas - it's not the most exciting dance in the world and it made the whole show feel very samey and tired. The judges' pick ruined a bit of Simon & Kristina's showdance as well as we ended up with Charleston overload. It's made for a very flat show overall - the only highlights have been a ballroom number and a contemporary one!

And we get another pile of Latin dances in the second show no matter who goes through...doesn't exactly make for a good variety show or any real sparkle!
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I much prefer ballroom to Latin and found it such a shame that the final has been so Latin dominant and not even my favourite Latin at that. It made me enjoy Frankie's show dance more than I might have done if there had been some other great ballroom dances.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 100%, even Simon's 'judge picked' dance was the Charleston where I feel his ballroom is his best. I much prefer ballroom, but I guess they want some 'show dances' to make people vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Len said Simon was best ballroom dancer...pity he didn' t get to show that in the final. Would not swap AT though.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Not just so far - none of the couples' pick for favourite dance are traditional ballroom.

I think it's disgraceful how unbalanced the final is - we could have a final 3 (if Frankie goes out) where between them they haven't danced a single ballroom dance all night. That's not ok.

The judges' choices were a complete joke - it makes no sense whatsoever to not pick the dance Caroline basically fell over in! Yes, she's not as good at ballroom, but everyone else got their weaker discipline! Thankfully her cha cha wasn't much good so it didn't make a huge amount of difference, but the genre choices were advantage Caroline.

Thought it was a weird choice for Caroline, she wasn't bad at the dance, infact I thought it was one of the top marks in week1, it was only her lowest scoring dance as it was the start of the competition not because it was so awful. I would have chosen a ballroom for her since she had a couple of dances that went less well.