Am I the only one that feels like the uptempo singers get it easier?

big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Than the ballad singers on The X Factor? It's not aimed at any specific act in particular, but I feel that they don't get as much abuse for doing the same tempo every week where as a ballad singer will do, and they never get called boring which most ballad singers do get called in every series.

Does anybody agree with me on this or is it just something that I'm noticing with the show?

Comments

• Sammi42Sammi42 Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a good point. I can't recall a time when someone was criticised for singing up tempo every week.

I think it's because put a few dancers, some lights and a faster tempo covers up limited vocals. Were as with a ballad you're more exposed, any mistakes can't be missed like they could behind all the commotion around during an uptempo.
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's the other way round. Have you noticed, for example, how the winner's single is ALWAYS a ballad?

I'm convinced JLS and Olly Murs would have won the years they were on if the winner's song had been a more upbeat one.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's the other way round. Have you noticed, for example, how the winner's single is ALWAYS a ballad?

I'm convinced JLS and Olly Murs would have won the years they were on if the winner's song had been a more upbeat one.

Olly and Joe sang The Climb...not a ballad really, maybe mid tempo?
  • big bang theorybig bang theory Posts: 4,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammi42 wrote: »
    That is a good point. I can't recall a time when someone was criticised for singing up tempo every week.

I think it's because put a few dancers, some lights and a faster tempo covers up limited vocals. Were as with a ballad you're more exposed, any mistakes can't be missed like they could behind all the commotion around during an uptempo.

I've never heard anyone say that an uptempo singer should sing a ballad from the public anyway.

But you may have a great point why they're more protected, they do get the bigger stage productions so it protects any weak vocals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Olly and Joe sang The Climb...not a ballad really, maybe mid tempo?

I class it as a ballad. Olly Murs would have been better with something like 'Beat It' or 'Celebration'.
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call Many Of Horror (Or "When We Collide" as they called it for Matt) a ballad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call Many Of Horror (Or "When We Collide" as they called it for Matt) a ballad

What?

That's definitely a ballad!
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    What?

That's definitely a ballad!

How is it?

It's mellow alternative rock I'll admit...especially in the original but Matt Cardle didn't make it a ballad
  • JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ballads are slow, sentimental type songs. They are more likely to sound dull and dreary than up-tempo songs simply due to their nature. That's why constant ballads tends to get tiresome faster than multiple up-tempo songs, although most of the up-tempo artists sing ballads too.

On the whole, the voting audience generally seems to respond better to ballad singers/performances though so, if anything, I'd say they have it easier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it?

It's mellow alternative rock I'll admit...especially in the original but Matt Cardle didn't make it a ballad

It's slow, dreary and depressing.
  • Sammi42Sammi42 Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ballads are slow, sentimental type songs. They are more likely to sound dull and dreary than up-tempo songs simply due to their nature. That's why constant ballads tends to get tiresome faster than multiple up-tempo songs, although most of the up-tempo artists sing ballads too.

On the whole, the voting audience generally seems to respond better to ballad singers/performances though so, if anything, I'd say they have it easier.

Voting ways, yes they may get it a little easier but from the judges they get a harder time.
  • JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voting ways, yes they may get it a little easier but from the judges they get a harder time.

I think it's a lack of versatility in general that gets a hard time, rightly or wrongly.
  • Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do kind of agree with the OP here. Based on past evidence, when a contestant who normally always performs uptempo numbers tries their hand at a ballad, they tend to receive huge praise from the judges for being diverse. Whereas when a ballad heavy contestant tries an uptempo number, it's normally after weeks of comments like "oh, but you only perform ballads" from the judges, followed by "finally, you've done something uptempo". I suppose it all comes down to uptempo number being more televisually exciting and perhaps more in tune with the direction Syco likes to take a lot of their acts down. Unless you're a young female with an amazing voice, ala Leona or Ella, Simon doesn't really know how to handle ballad heavy acts.
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, definitely.

With uptempos vocal blips are hidden a bit better too! But I don't really care if they sing all ballads or uptempos. If that's why they're going to release because they're that kind of artist, why not sing that stuff all the time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, definitely.

With uptempos vocal blips are hidden a bit better too! But I don't really care if they sing all ballads or uptempos. If that's why they're going to release because they're that kind of artist, why not sing that stuff all the time?

I agree with you on this actually, I'm fed up of the karaoke feel that a chunk of the public seem to want all the time for the show.

But I asked this question because I find it really unfair that ballad singers get attacked for constantly singing ballads, but uptempo singers tend to get away with constantly singing uptempo from my experience.
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You forgot the infamous time Gary Barlow harangued Little Mix for being "predictable" in Week 6 of 2011.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJRbZK-UAZw&t=5m2s

Then they came back with Don't Let Go so it all worked out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot the infamous time Gary Barlow harangued Little Mix for being "predictable" in Week 6 of 2011.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJRbZK-UAZw&t=5m2s

Then they came back with Don't Let Go so it all worked out.

Don't Let Go isn't a ballad though?