EE: What actually happened to Lorna Fitzgeralds neck?

2»

Comments

• HankshawHankshaw Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Basically, a sore throat like that could be a sympton of something very minor which you can easily work through.

It really isn't. Acting requires an ability to perform. A nasty cold that leaves you sneezing, sniffling, coughing and feeling like rubbish isn't serious but would affect your ability to act.
  • kitthekatkitthekat Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Hankshaw wrote: »
    It really isn't. Acting requires an ability to perform. A nasty cold that leaves you sneezing, sniffling, coughing and feeling like rubbish isn't serious but would affect your ability to act.

Sudafed can do amazing things.

Lorna Fitzgerald's been on-screen more in recent days, yes, but none of her scenes are especially long, require her to say or do much, or are as potentially emotionally taxing as some of the other storylines playing out at the moment. I think she can manage to be professional and work through it, as long as she has plenty to drink and doses herself up.

ETA: And actually, as we've not seen her really "sneezing, sniffling, coughing and feeling like rubbish", I'd say chances are it's just a sore throat with no other associated symptoms that "would affect [your] ability to act."
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

Acting wasn't specified in the initial post. I'm not sure if it was you or somebody else but the implication was that a sore throat always dignified something serious which would stop anybody, in any profession from working which just isn't true.

Obviously, anything that affects the vocal chords in even a minor way is going to be an issue for say an Opera singer.

However, in this case, Lorna clearly can speak without coughing and spluttering her way through every sentence. They may have had to do several takes to manage it but they got the footage filmed - qed - she was able to work.

ETA: any kind of sore throat would be a huge problem, probably insurmountable if performing in theatre as that is a couple of hours almost continuous speaking. But in a situation where they are filming a couple of minutes at a time with breaks for camera set ups etc so the actress can rest their vocal chords, it can often be got round, even if they have to edit several takes together in post production.

If you recall, lacey turner had a sore throat on the day of the 25th live episode which they were worried about but she rested all day, didn't do the post show interviews and managed to get through the live episode albeit she sounded rather hoarse. But people do talk in real life with sore throats, they have to.

Also, as kitthekat says, there are a lot of conditions where somebody can have a sore throat without the associated coughing, sneezing etc.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something as minor as a sore throat is not acceptable to take time off in the acting world. You work through it. Hankshaw, you keep making excuse but that simply is not how it works when you are an actor. You would have to be ill to the point where you can't leave your bed to be allowed time off, or if you lost your voice through laryngitius. The only time a sore throat would be worrying would be if you were a singer or doing musical theatre. as straining it while having a sore throat would lead to major problems.
  • Robert_WhippyRobert_Whippy Posts: 2,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can i say she looked smoking hot when she announced her "pregnancy"
  • LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can i say she looked smoking hot when she announced her "pregnancy"

Ahh yes, the pregnancy glow.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A sore throat like that is usually the result of a serious illness so no you don't work regardless of it. Its not hysteria just people wondering what she was suffering from to give her the sore throat.
    I have sounded like that after a head cold - I wouldn't call that a serious illness!