Options

Lets kill all the Parrots

a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think is is quite disgusting, they are beautiful creatures plus they are rare and what do they do they kill them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2771330/Parakeet-cull-costs-1-000-bird-Total-259-000-spent-eradicating-just-62-wild-monk-parrakeets-removing-212-eggs-nests-past-five-years.html

trouble is they not endangering anything else, its just the power and mobile companies that claim they will put nests on their poles. as if thats going to affect our supply or signal
plus they say its a rare bird, so why the hell are they killing them, are they trying to make it extinct

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Are they native to the UK?

ETA:

A spokesman for the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency, a DEFRA agency, said the majority of the birds captured had been taken to private aviaries.

He said since 2011, 40 birds had been removed from the wild. Of those, 12 had died and 28 were re-homed.

So not as bad as the headline suggests.
  • Options
    a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Are they native to the UK?

does it matter whether they are native or not, they have adapted to the uk and thats a good thing.
    why kill something thats non native and rare?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    a01020304 wrote: »
    does it matter whether they are native or not, they have adapted to the uk and thats a good thing.
    why kill something thats non native and rare?

Because quite often a non native species can adversely affect the native species, sometimes driving them to the edge (if not over it) of extinction.

Consider for example the Grey squirrel as a great example of this, it's a non native species that has all but wiped out the native one in the UK.

Would you be as upset if it was a less pretty bird or a toad that was being removed from the wild?
    How about a flower or weed?
    There are huge sums spent trying to clean out certain fast spreading pond weeds because if left unchecked they turn waterways into stagnant pools killing off most of the normal healthy ecosystem.

There are probably hundreds of such non native species that are adversely affecting the natives in the UK, and the response ranges from largely ignoring them except to assist the native species regain their foothold (IIRC that's what happening with squirrels), to making it a requirement to take action such as reporting to the enviroment agency sightings (I think there is type of crayfish that you are meant to kill if you catch it, and report any sighting of as they are invasive and measures are taken to try and restrict their spread).
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Look up introducing a non native species like the cane toad in Australia and see what has happened there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    Because quite often a non native species can adversely affect the native species, sometimes driving them to the edge (if not over it) of extinction.

Consider for example the Grey squirrel as a great example of this, it's a non native species that has all but wiped out the native one in the UK.

Would you be as upset if it was a less pretty bird or a toad that was being removed from the wild?
    How about a flower or weed?
    There are huge sums spent trying to clean out certain fast spreading pond weeds because if left unchecked they turn waterways into stagnant pools killing off most of the normal healthy ecosystem.

There are probably hundreds of such non native species that are adversely affecting the natives in the UK, and the response ranges from largely ignoring them except to assist the native species regain their foothold (IIRC that's what happening with squirrels), to making it a requirement to take action such as reporting to the enviroment agency sightings (I think there is type of crayfish that you are meant to kill if you catch it, and report any sighting of as they are invasive and measures are taken to try and restrict their spread).

Escaped mink would be one example of a non-native species wrecking havoc on some of the indigenous wildlife in the UK.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Look up introducing a non native species like the cane toad in Australia and see what has happened there.

Grey Squirrel.

It seems to me that knowingly introducing a non-compatible organism into a fruitful, foreign environment causes displacement and a massive reduction of the indigenous fauna population.

Sadly this is compounded by plants and animals which were shipped here illegally and have propagated at an alarming rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Grey Squirrel.

It seems to me that knowingly introducing a non-compatible organism into a fruitful, foreign environment causes displacement and a massive reduction of the indigenous fauna population.

Sadly this is compounded by plants and animals which were shipped here illegally and have propagated at an alarming rate.

Wild rhododendron would be another example.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also Japanese Knotweed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Beautiful plumage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rabbits are a good example of the damage a non native invasive species can do.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/dec/15/rabbits-invasive-species-cost
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not dead... he's pining for the fjords
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is with this country, if the invasion is human it's a marvellous thing, wonderful and diversity is brilliant.

If it's non human lets annihilate it, kill it all, it's a bad thing. Nature will adapt, the parrots have been here for a very long time, and a dammed sight longer than telephone masts.

LEAVE THEM ALONE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Heartache wrote: »
    What is with this country, if the invasion is human it's a marvellous thing, wonderful and diversity is brilliant.

If it's non human lets annihilate it, kill it all, it's a bad thing. Nature will adapt, the parrots have been here for a very long time, and a dammed sight longer than telephone masts.

LEAVE THEM ALONE.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2014/03/10/1226850/064463-336575c0-a7db-11e3-900e-99186aa12c4d.jpg
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Grey Squirrel.
    Also Japanese Knotweed.

Just waiting for the usual few FMs to come in and mention "Muslims" now.....
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signal crayfish.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Just waiting for the usual few FMs to come in and mention "Muslims" now.....

Why bring Muslims into this?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Escaped mink would be one example of a non-native species wrecking havoc on some of the indigenous wildlife in the UK.
    Also Japanese Knotweed.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/dec/15/rabbits-invasive-species-cost
    Signal crayfish.

zander.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****ing well leave the animals alone.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nilrem wrote: »

Except these parrots haven't adversely affected native species.

There are flocks of them where I live. They always brighten the place up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Except these parrots haven't adversely affected native species.

There are flocks of them where I live. They always brighten the place up.

Ring necked parakeets (which is what I suspect you see in flocks where you live) are affecting the native birds though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/10776252/Noisy-parakeets-drive-away-native-birds.html
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Why bring Muslims into this?

Just predicting.....DS threads on foreigners causing problems in the UK always descend into a discussion on Muslims....
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a flock of green birds in Regent's Park, London a few weeks ago........it was really early morning and I'd never seen them before or since

They all flew onto one tree then had a good look around until the bravest ones came down to the grass then gradually one by one they all came down

I tried looking up 'green birds' on the internet and decided they must be parakeets but I don't really know
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I saw a flock of green birds in Regent's Park, London a few weeks ago........it was really early morning and I'd never seen them before or since

They all flew onto one tree then had a good look around until the bravest ones came down to the grass then gradually one by one they all came down

I tried looking up 'green birds' on the internet and decided they must be parakeets but I don't really know

green woodpeckers are bright and noisy flockers and behave like that.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seagulls & pigeons are bigger pest s yet seagulls are a protected species :(