Rivers with Griff Rhys Jones-

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
New series. The actor and comedian explores the influence of the BBC on his bank balance, and how they have shaped his life across Britain. His first stop on the all expenses paid wheeze is Scotland, where he travels east upstream from Kinlochleven into one of the most remote areas of the country and follows the water downstream to Perth, milking the licence paying public for their money and canoeing along a river of pure gravy....

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Season 1 Episode 1 of 5
    New series. The actor and comedian explores the influence of waterways throughout history, and how they have shaped people's lives across Britain. His first stop is Scotland, where he travels east upstream from Kinlochleven into one of the most remote areas of the country and follows the water downstream to Perth, milking fish for their eggs and canoeing along a river
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes Griff did seem to wash up in some very agreeable hotels in this episode didn't he?:D
    Though I reckon he paid for it with that swim - rather him than me:eek:

Stunning scenary - Scotland looked gorgeous in November, I've never considered visiting that late in the year before - think I'll have to rethink that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the feeling this might stem from the rather excellent "Three Men in a boat" programmes which air every year around Christmas. Forgot to watch the first one, must catch the rest, Griff is a superb personality and should be presenting more things IMHO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was excellent.

Made me want to go out and do the same.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I like Griff but his comments about wanting canoeists to annoy anglers as much as they can had me fuming.We're the people who PAY for him to use his boat on the rivers for free.All our rod license money goes towards keeping them clean and hazard free and he seems to think he's got the right to just shove a boat on whenever he wants.If he sailed down the stretch of river I pay to use he'd get well tangled in my lines.
  • nightporternightporter Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youth Hosteling with Chris Eubanks.:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched about 5 minutes, heard something like Canadian Canoes are only called that in the UK & got bored. Found something on my Sky+ to watch instead.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything fronted by this man is an instant turn-off for me.
    His "silly voices" just irritate.
    The BBC is "fixated with the cult of the presenter."
    In the constant drive for ratings they are willing to pay "well known faces" silly money to front programmes that often could be presented better and made more interesting by a more knowledgeable unknown, or heaven forbid by using a "voice-over."
    Often "vaguely recognisable" people are used to front programmes of really dubious quality, particularly during day-time TV.
    Beware of any programme that needs two or three of these presenters waving their hands in the foreground trying to engage an audience, as it is likely to be some otherwise cheap to produce rubbish going on behind them. The BBC aren't on they own. It's endemic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Hello Doghouse, nice to see you again.

I can't see how this programme would have been interesting or even possible with a voiceover really. I've no problem with an intelligent presenter fronting a show, provided they speak intelligible English and don't go Wow!!! every five seconds.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polina wrote: »
    Hello Doghouse, nice to see you again.

I can't see how this programme would have been interesting or even possible with a voiceover really. I've no problem with an intelligent presenter fronting a show, provided they speak intelligible English and don't go Wow!!! every five seconds.

Hi Polina,
    You're restricting choices a bit asking for a less "in your face" presenter aren't you? There are few like David Attenborough, who feels he's nothing to prove and has conducted himself on-screen for decades in this manner.

There must be hundreds of these "presenter people" feeling rather threatened by the cuts the BBC and other channels are having to make. So they use every opportunity to get noticed as they've an eye on the next job and in my opinion, many programmes suffer for their on-screen antics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there are - I doubt very much if Griff RJ is one of them, however. Presenters who can do the job well - even though that is so subjective; my husband adores Paul Merton and Tony Robinson and they both bring me out in bumps - will always be welcome for me. I love David Attenborough's programmes and have done since I saw Life on Earth as a child, but there are other styles I also enjoy just as much. The only thing I really require is that they are reasonably intelligent people and have put together a reasonably intelligent show.

I didn't know you were a denizen here - I'm a "regular" but very seldom contribute!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pale imitation of his excellent series "Mountains" IMO.

What next for the Griffster? "Hillocks with Griff Rhys Jones", "Ponds with Griff Rhys Jones"......? Or maybe a follow up to his 2 parter on why he gets angry now and again - "Why other people annoy me with Griff Rhys Jones".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Great programme, beautiful cinematography, and helpfully pointed out the anachronistic access laws that apply in England and Wales, but not in Scotland. I hope that this programme will encourage more people to get out and enjoy our watery heritage safely.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick Mawer wrote: »
    Great programme, beautiful cinematography, and helpfully pointed out the anachronistic access laws that apply in England and Wales, but not in Scotland. I hope that this programme will encourage more people to get out and enjoy our watery heritage safely.

I've been told by a keen canoeing friend that the limited access to rivers was down to good ol' Maggie Thatcher - where if a landowner owns both banks of a river, then that river is classed as entirely private property.
  • jacquiannjacquiann Posts: 2,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We started watching this by accident after watching a film we'd Sky+d - the TV went to the channel we'd been watching earlier on HD. We thought what the heck as it was a "wasteland" TV night in our opinion.
    It was stunning & we've decided to go on holiday to Scotland maybe next summer (before the school hols of course).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought i'd give this a bump as its repeating on the yesterday channel. I've watched it some time ago and remember it being good.
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought i'd give this a bump as its repeating on the yesterday channel. I've watched it some time ago and remember it being good.

I would hang out for an HD repeat. It's been on BBCHD at least twice (once not so very long ago - perhaps only a matter of two months).

Most of that sort of material ("Mountain", "Tiger Spy", Nature's Great Events", etc,) will get shown again (and again !) on the HD channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hang out for an HD repeat. It's been on BBCHD at least twice (once not so very long ago - perhaps only a matter of two months).

Most of that sort of material ("Mountain", "Tiger Spy", Nature's Great Events", etc,) will get shown again (and again !) on the HD channel.

sweet! thanks for mentioning.