Options

pre-recorded continuity links

essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
Forum Member
Whilst watching Minder on ITV4 I noticed the announcer says the same thing before each episode. Cheaper I suppose

Comments

• Options
    mmlabbdmmlabbd Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Why would you require someone to tell you a different thing each episode?

"Now on ITV4... Minder" seems to suffice, in fact why bother at all really...
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the need to save money but I am frustrated by the fact that the announcer no longer tells you when it is the last episode in the series or that the series is skipping a week.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Whilst watching Minder on ITV4 I noticed the announcer says the same thing before each episode. Cheaper I suppose

Its happened for years, In my experience its only the PSBs that actually go live for Continuity, most of them are pre-rec'd thats why they are slowly fading away continuity before certain programmes on a lot of channels
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    leslie123leslie123 Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will second that . Good old Diddy David and Philip Elsmore. Mind you, if you watch UTV or the newly added UTV HD on Sky, you will find good old fashioned in vision continuity still exists in the evenings.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UKtv channels have what they consider humourous links before programmes, after hearing for the third time onwards they are just annoying.

GOLD intro to Waiting for God (something like)
    "When I retire from TV announcing I want to retire to this place"

Alibi Intro to Diagnosis Murder
    " Now we are having a checkup and the Diagnosis is Murder"

I am sure there are several other examples but these two have stuck in my head.
  • Options
    tom e1649tom e1649 Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the UKTV network first launched in 1997 all the announcements were professionally done and specific to each episode being shown, even if they were recorded. In fact the whole presentation was much less rushed in those days, and in my opinion better for it.

It was only in 2002 when UK Gold introduced 'Shouty Man' and the fireworks idents were dropped that things started to get worse.