Options

Where can I borrow a loan?

JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've seen a car that I really like which is perfect for me, the only thing is I'd need to borrow £1,000 but I can't find any companies that will lend it to me.

The only loan I've took out previously is a car which I paid off within the time limit.

I am currently employed though I'm only working 20 hours a week and the contract is only until the end of March which is probably why.

I could afford it even on the dole if it was a 2 year loan.

Does anyone know anywhere I could get one in my situation?

Comments

• Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »

Not trying to be negative, but could you also afford the running costs in addition to the repayments?

Also, think of it as buying a loan. If you've shopped around already and haven't been successful then chances are that if you do find a company willing to lend you the money that they will probably charge high interests rates, which will be more costly, both in terms of monthly repayments and of course total amount repaid.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I've seen a car that I really like which is perfect for me, the only thing is I'd need to borrow £1,000 but I can't find any companies that will lend it to me.

The only loan I've took out previously is a car which I paid off within the time limit.

I am currently employed though I'm only working 20 hours a week and the contract is only until the end of March which is probably why.

Any credit unions near you? Might be your best chance. Otherwise you are likely to pay daft interest rates on a £1000 loan.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much is the car? No loan company will lend you the total value because a car depreciates.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avoid Wonga at all costs.:)
  • Options
    LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Start saving and postpone the car purchase till you've saved up.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    how can you afford a car on the dole?
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member

Really? That's not what you've been saying in your other thread, unless it's a different car, of course!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1937728
  • Options
    SmufterSmufter Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    How much is the car? No loan company will lend you the total value because a car depreciates.

Errr....if it's a "personal loan" what you buy with the proceeds has no bearing.
    And all the hire purchase companies that I deal with regarding vehicle loans have "minimum" lends....usually around £2k.
    ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    Avoid Wonga at all costs.:)

Well yes, a 2yr loan with Wonga would be stupid, but they don't do them for that long anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So if you were on the dole how would you afford insurance, tax, MOT, fixing the various things that are likely to go wrong with a £1000 car etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonga maybe but I'm in a pickle with them at present.

QuickQuid were brilliant a year or so ago, spread across three months and no problems at all (i.e. no funny business)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Wonga maybe but I'm in a pickle with them at present.

QuickQuid were brilliant a year or so ago, spread across three months and no problems at all (i.e. no funny business)

They want a 2 year loan. Pay day lenders are not the way forward.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Take the bus. You can't afford a car.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it is technically possible to 'borrow a loan'.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure it is technically possible to 'borrow a loan'.

Me either, but I would lend my loan to someone if they paid it off in full :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Sorry to be so blunt but if your finances are such that you're on a 20 hour contract, looking for a loan for £1000 and facing unemployment soon you can't afford a car. Simple as that.
  • Options
    Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got a car you can have for £950.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Really? That's not what you've been saying in your other thread, unless it's a different car, of course!

I've been following that thread, but I hadn't realised that it was the same FM. I wonder whether they've got the deposit back on the Polo? I'm assuming this isn't the Polo, unless the FM has the other £1400 tucked away somewhere.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I've been following that thread, but I hadn't realised that it was the same FM. I wonder whether they've got the deposit back on the Polo? I'm assuming this isn't the Polo, unless the FM has the other £1400 tucked away somewhere.

probably because its made up story

its the internet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »

This is a different one yes.

Anyway I'm going for something cheaper and I think I've found a realistic good deal and done all the checks etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    probably because its made up story

its the internet

Um nope. I'm not that sad.

I'm actually looking at more economical cars so I can downsize from a vauxhall astra convertible 1.8. I've just put a deposit on a vw polo for £100 anyway. As for the other deposit, I have a copy of the original advert from autotrader so should be able to get that back, I sent a letter Saturday.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Really? Fuel, road tax, insurance, servicing, MOTs and repairs on dole money? How much is dole money these days?

Once a car is worth £1,000, it must be a good few years old and so the cost of getting it through its MOT and the more frequent repairs can be high.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted - already answered in an earlier post.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um nope. I'm not that sad.

I'm actually looking at more economical cars so I can downsize from a vauxhall astra convertible 1.8. I've just put a deposit on a vw polo for £100 anyway. As for the other deposit, I have a copy of the original advert from autotrader so should be able to get that back, I sent a letter Saturday.

I hope you have looked at the car before putting down the deposit this time.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Really? Fuel, road tax, insurance, servicing, MOTs and repairs on dole money? How much is dole money these days?

Once a car is worth £1,000, it must be a good few years old and so the cost of getting it through its MOT and the more frequent repairs can be high.

its all very strange - I am on ESA and also receive DLA { which will at some stage may end up as PIP { if I qualify } so my benefits are more than JSA and there is no way I could afford to run a car even if someone gave me one for free.

Even if a car was a nice little runner the Insurance alone would be well over my budget

I reckon the OP should take a long hard look at

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/running_costs/

and then get the bus maps out .