What do you think of Frankie Boyle ?

Comments

• Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me howl with laughter most of the time. Should do less 'controversy' and more political comedy though as the latter shows how genuinely clever and funny he can be.

Tramadol nights was dismal though.
    Though a lot of it fell flat, I thought some of the sketches were absolutely brilliant and admired that he took a lot of risks rather than putting out the same generic crap many other sketch shows have done.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Being called out and being censored are two very different things. The BBC didn't like certain jokes/topics he touched on, it's not surprising he opted to just go rather than compromise on his material every week.

Well I'm no great fan of censorship but the BBC is supposed to have an obligation (re: broadcasting standards) to everyone, not just fans of Frankie Boyle's style of humour so I guess if he didn't want to compromise, that was it. Shame he couldn't stay on MTW, though, in a slightly toned down version of himself, because he was one of the best things about the show, and keep his more extreme controversial stuff for touring. Surely his ego could have coped with that? Other comedy performers manage it. Everyone's happy, then (except for those who dislike him completely and can easily avoid him).
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    This would appear to sum him up quite nicely.....

http://tinypic.com/r/r8ig6w/8

:)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    He doesn't outrage me in the slightest, I just find him unlikeable, totally unfunny and a complete tosser.

To my joy, he blocked me on Twitter - he can dish it out but can't take it back. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Can't stand him. Sorry.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie Boyle: "Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey; well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him. I have a theory that Jordan married a cage fighter 'cause she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f*****g her"

He's made a living out of getting a laugh out of places no other comedian will dare go, so of course he's "devisive" [sic]
    As kids we used to tell each other this kind of stuff, it's just he's somehow managed to make a public career in it. Not only that, but by consciously pushing it as far as he can go. I'm just glad I don't have to listen to people on Radio 4 giggling that one word sounds like another one until the four horsemen come with lassoes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankie Boyle: "Apparently Jordan and Peter Andre are fighting each other over custody of Harvey; well eventually one of them’ll lose and have to keep him. I have a theory that Jordan married a cage fighter 'cause she needed someone strong enough to stop Harvey from f*****g her"

He's made a living out of getting a laugh out of places no other comedian will dare go, so of course he's "devisive" [sic]
    As kids we used to tell each other this kind of stuff, it's just he's somehow managed to make a public career in it. Not only that, but by consciously pushing it as far as he can go. I'm just glad I don't have to listen to people on Radio 4 giggling that one word sounds like another one until the four horsemen come with lassoes

See, that's just not funny, controversial or edgy (well, it might be for some but the majority seem to disagree!). It's just a cheap shot- nasty and barrel-scraping to see how far he can get. If he wants to make that kind of statement on tour where he can 'own' it and people who want to hear that kind of thing can pay to attend, fine, so long as he can pick up the flak but I wouldn't want to hear it creeping into mainstream TV.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let`s not forget this is the man who got Emily Maitlis to read out his "Queen so old her pussy is haunted" gag on Newsnight to the terminally slimy Mark Thompson. For that reason alone he deserves our admiration.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    he is funny sometimes but tries too hard to be controversial to raise a laugh, overall a bit of a dick

This sums it up for me.

I won't turn the channel over because he's on, but I wouldn't watch something just because he was in it.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a Poundshop Gobshite Sadowitz. And Gobshite Sadowitz is a Poundshop Bill Hicks. And Bill Hicks was a Poundshop Lenny Bruce. And Lenny Bruce was rubbish.
    So are your conclusions.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    If he wants to make that kind of statement on tour where he can 'own' it and people who want to hear that kind of thing can pay to attend, fine, so long as he can pick up the flak but I wouldn't want to hear it creeping into mainstream TV.
    I remember Roy "Chubby" Brown who made a very good touring living out of being "too rude for TV". Frankie can't seem to decide if he wants to quit or pursue touring standup or not. What's his latest word on this?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    He's so far stuck to not touring.

He does comic books and rapping with Glenn Wool. Available on his site.
    He writes columns and books.
    He's done a couple of pilots for tv and iplayer
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked him on Mock the Week. The Katie Price gags were not funny IMO and I can laugh at just about anything, I don't get offended easily.

I laughed at his Rebecca Addlington line on Mock the Week...that was funny :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    I liked him on Mock the Week. The Katie Price gags were not funny IMO and I can laugh at just about anything, I don't get offended easily.

I laughed at his Rebecca Addlington line on Mock the Week...that was funny :D

She didn't, though. She was incredibly hurt- already feeling very sensitive about her appearance. She was a swimmer who didn't trade on her looks. Much, much worse things have been said about people- his remark could have been much crueller- but many thought she should 'just get over it' which is OK if you're not on the receiving end.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    She didn't, though. She was incredibly hurt- already feeling very sensitive about her appearance. She was a swimmer who didn't trade on her looks. Much, much worse things have been said about people- his remark could have been much crueller- but many thought she should 'just get over it' which is OK if you're not on the receiving end.

This. Frankie was o.k. at first, but he crossed the line for me over the Katie Price remarks and Rebecca. I've been on the receiving end of cruel comments in my youth and I know how it feels. It is not acceptable for Boyle to get a cheap laugh at her expense.
  • FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find Boyle's material offensive, but I'm not convinced of his conviction in it.

I've never felt a genuine sense of performers' catharsis from Boyle, unlike I have done from the likes of Sadowitz, Lewis-Smith and others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    He's funny and offensive to those who are easily offended but he doesn't come close to the master of offensive comedy Jerry Sadowitz,now he's funny and extremely offensive.

I'd love to hear the views of the whiny "i'm offended" brigade if they were to catch one of his rare shows,he also called out jimmy saville as a wrong un long before the media found him out.

Those who don't know him,he was the bloke in the top hat in the Shamen video for the tune Ebeneezer Goode and he's also not a bad magician,not quite as good as Ali Bongo mind ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    He's a Poundshop Gobshite Sadowitz. And Gobshite Sadowitz is a Poundshop Bill Hicks. And Bill Hicks was a Poundshop Lenny Bruce. And Lenny Bruce was rubbish.

I'll wager a bet that you find Lenny OHHHHH KAAAY Henry hilarious you poundshop gobshite(shudders at using that word) critic.

Stick to mrs browns boys you muggy bonehead.:D
  • HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke68 wrote: »
    I'll wager a bet that you find Lenny OHHHHH KAAAY Henry hilarious you poundshop gobshite(shudders at using that word) critic.

Stick to mrs browns boys you muggy bonehead.:D

I assure you that I'm football in all I do. And Mrs Brown's Boys is a Poundshop Lily Savage. And Lily Savage is a Poundshop Dame Edna (etc. etc. etc.)
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke68 wrote: »
    He's funny and offensive to those who are easily offended but he doesn't come close to the master of offensive comedy Jerry Sadowitz,now he's funny and extremely offensive.

I'd love to hear the views of the whiny "i'm offended" brigade if they were to catch one of his rare shows,he also called out jimmy saville as a wrong un long before the media found him out.
    Those who don't know him,he was the bloke in the top hat in the Shamen video for the tune Ebeneezer Goode and he's also not a bad magician,not quite as good as Ali Bongo mind ;-)

I saw him in one of his gigs years ago and he was very, very funny - not for the faint hearted. As for the BIB, Savile's shenanigans were suspected by many way before the media saturation - to be completely fair.
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irvine Welsh called out Saville in 96 if I recall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum called Savile out (to me) in the 1980s when she told me he was knocking off one of her 14 year old classmates back in the late 1950s. As he lived nearby she told me he was horrible and to never go near him.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed him a lot on Mock the Week, found him to be trying too hard on Tramadol Nights. Overall a funny guy, and while I don't agree with his comments regarding KP's child, I do wish she would stop whoring herself and everyone near her out for a headline, it's quite tiresome.
  • starkitten1982starkitten1982 Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    He is very good at what he does. He has his niche and it works for him.
  • 10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Rebecca Adlington deserved that abuse, for the simple reason that she is quite good looking.
    Not a fan of Katie Price, but, that Harvey joke was devilish and twisted. Glad I wasn't eating my dinner at the time.