Options

So, who replaces Jacko as 'King of pop'?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Brown :D

JOKE!!!! Michael will always be The King Of Pop!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly a king, but I think Beyonce is the leading contender. She's got the voice, the presence and the dancing ability.

Beyonce is the Queen of R&B!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the great....... the unstoppable....... the brave...... the honourable......... the child loving.........

PETER ANDRE:D:o:sleep::p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly a king, but I think Beyonce is the leading contender. She's got the voice, the presence and the dancing ability.

She might have the voice, but in no way has she got the same talent that Michael had all them years ago.
  • Options
    Mr McGoldrickMr McGoldrick Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " when the day is dawnin, on a Texas Sunday mornin..........."
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    " when the day is dawnin, on a Texas Sunday mornin..........."

You could do worse :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,238
    Forum Member
    You could never replace MJ.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    There could never be anyone to replace MJ as the king of pop! MICHAEL JACKSON IS and ALWAYS will be the KING OF POP forever i mean the jackson five, his solo career, millions of albums sold, thriller album, amount of grammys he won, very sad but there will never be anyone like him :cry:
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one can ever replace him... Ever... They would have to be more than extraordinary!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crown's been up for a very long time.

Michael Jackson hasn't been any (self-proclaimed) 'King of Pop' for 15 years.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There doesn't seem to be anyone. For some reason, recently the most successful artists seem to be either female solo singers or bands.

I guess there used to be George Michael, but he's had problems. And who knows if he wants to still perform and release records.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    we wont ever get another MJ

the only male I think is right on top of his game at the moment is Brandon Flowers from The Killers, who has the voice and the stage presence...but then is part of a band, not known as a dancer and only hasn't covered a wide area of music.

all the other male stars are getting on a bit, or haven't done anything good for a while like Bono, George Michael and Robbie Williams
  • Options
    TVScourgeTVScourge Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    The Pet Shop Boys should share the crown. :D
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TVScourge wrote: »
    The Pet Shop Boys should share the crown. :D
    The Queen and the Duke?

Someone had better hurry up and make the claim, else the world may end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is on such thing as a Queen or King of Pop, or any other genre of music.Music goes on personal taste on one level, and a ton of promotional hype on other.MJ has not been King of anything for donkeys years anyway and did he not name himself this rather than get some silly award under the alleged "title"? He was a cute black kid who burnt out aged 30 , and had been limping along behind scandals ever since.Will now make more money being dead than alive.I never followed him/ his pop career but did he not also bounce onto some stage and take some award from Britney Spears that he was supposed to present to someone else, but took it for himself in his drugged up confusion and rather than cause a scene they just let him, and left him to make some log erratic speech.?

And yes-I could be wrong on detail-since as I said ,I never followed him at all. Well outside of the molestation trial.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Elvis was the King

He was the groundbreaker for popular music as we know it today.

There were other rock and rollers but Elvis had everything, the others had just one or two of his talents but Elvis sang, danced, was amazingly handsome and boy, was he sexy, something unheard of in those days.

To me MJ is there just above Madonna, the Prince and Princess of pop. They have been so sucessful but on the back of what Elvis achieved, he opened the floodgates for them.

No one, not MJ, could ever go back to being the first, that place is only for Elvis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Seal or even Georgie Michael!!!! or could they be King(s) of Soul?
  • Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bjorn/Benny from Abba?
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does everyone forget that his output over the last 20 years has been absolute crap, so realy he lost his "king of pop" title 20 years ago !!!!
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stewing wrote: »
    I never followed him/ his pop career but did he not also bounce onto some stage and take some award from Britney Spears that he was supposed to present to someone else, but took it for himself in his drugged up confusion and rather than cause a scene they just let him, and left him to make some log erratic speech.?

And yes-I could be wrong on detail-since as I said ,I never followed him at all. Well outside of the molestation trial.

You were close. It was Michael's 44th Birthday and Britney had called him on the stage to give him a present (a treble clef wrapped in a bow) and a cake. In her intro she called him 'her' artist of the Millennium. Michael mis-heard and thought he was receiving an award with this title and when he came on stage he gave an acceptance speech regarding receiving the award he thought he had won.

EDIT: Here's a clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfU3rQ9dNpw
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Legends like Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury just don't seem to exist any more. :(

And I'm glad of it. Legends like Michael, Freddie and Elvis are never happy, live a troubled life, and die young. I don't want that.
  • Options
    AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    Does everyone forget that his output over the last 20 years has been absolute crap, so realy he lost his "king of pop" title 20 years ago !!!!

Complete BS.

Dangerous - 91
    HIStory - 95

Had many huge hits on them.

Michael Jackson is the king of pop, end of story.

At least he wrote most of his own songs, unlike Elvis.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Complete BS.

Dangerous - 91
    HIStory - 95

Had many huge hits on them.

Michael Jackson is the king of pop, end of story.

At least he wrote most of his own songs, unlike Elvis.

And Earth Song off the HIStory album was Michael's biggest selling single in the UK.
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    We cannot replace the 'Great Kings of Pop' we had such as Elvis and The Beatles.
    MJ fans still have his old and probably best music to listen to and reminisce.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I personally would argue that Beyonce is a better singer, a better dancer, and a better performer than Michael. The only thing really letting her down is her material.