Options

Dead unburied at Bank Holiday

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Heard a man in the bank say there were 20 odd dead bodies unburied due to the Bank Holiday, creating a backlog.

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    theres backlogs in hospital mortuary every bank holiday - at times they get full and have to rent private undertakers mortuarys

its because deaths cant be registered except for emergencies on non mon to fri 9-5 hours
  • Options
    kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the norm.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: They don't bury the dead 24/7 you know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skeleton staff at Bank Holiday time......
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had to arrange a funeral but when I do I know that if it's around a bank holiday or other holiday like Easter or Christmas there are dates that are just not available and I will accept that.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always happens. My dad died in the week running up to Easter years ago and we couldn't arrange the funeral for earlier than the following Thursday. What with the two bank holidays and flurry of church services it was the soonest we could get.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    The Mc wrote: »
    Skeleton staff at Bank Holiday time......

*slow clap* lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    my grandmother passed away last Thursday and we're still waiting for the death certificate to be issued. No doctors were available until yesterday. Christ knows what happens if you were taken ill on Good Friday. :confused:
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone else has said, it's because the deaths can't be registered. Of corpse there will be bit of a backlog.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the bodies will be OK in the fridge for a few days

it always surprises me that people ARE able to get funerals arranged as quickly as they do, to be honest. so many things to arrange, at such a difficult time for the families.

church (or whatever), arranging release certificates, coffins, hearses, printing order of services, arranging wakes. flowers, adverts in papers, notifying family members. etc etc.

funeral directors are very efficient.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the bodies will be OK in the fridge for a few days

it always surprises me that people ARE able to get funerals arranged as quickly as they do, to be honest. so many things to arrange, at such a difficult time for the families.

church (or whatever), arranging release certificates, coffins, hearses, printing order of services, arranging wakes. flowers, adverts in papers, notifying family members. etc etc.

funeral directors are very efficient.

I've got to sort all this out tomorrow, not done it before and not looking forward to it. :( Spent all morning on the phone closing down all of her accounts. Average call took 20 minutes. One company even said they would have to speak to my grandmother to close the account, even though I'd already explained to them why I was calling :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    I've got to sort all this out tomorrow, not done it before and not looking forward to it. :( Spent all morning on the phone closing down all of her accounts. Average call took 20 minutes. One company even said they would have to speak to my grandmother to close the account, even though I'd already explained to them why I was calling :rolleyes:.

My Dad died a couple of weeks ago but I was told not to close the accounts down so that the solicitor can access the accounts and pay for the funeral etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    My Dad died a couple of weeks ago but I was told not to close the accounts down so that the solicitor can access the accounts and pay for the funeral etc.

Not got around to her finances yet since I don't have a death certificate but I've closed all her utility accounts, telephone, gas, etc. It was a bit of a drag to say the least.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was odd about them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not got around to her finances yet since I don't have a death certificate but I've closed all her utility accounts, telephone, gas, etc. It was a bit of a drag to say the least.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. They won't close the accounts until copies of the death certificate are sent by the person dealing with probate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I had a good run around going to the doctors and then booking an appointment for the registrar then book the funeral and then try and prove that the family burial plot was registered in my Dad's name. The hardest thing to do was booking somewhere to go for a buffet after.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my uncle died a couple of weeks before Christmas a few years ago, we organised the funeral for Dec 27th and then found out the cemetery workers were on holiday till Jan 2nd - I found this quite unbelievable, as the 27th was a normal working day. So we had the funeral, they took my uncle's coffin back to the funeral directors and we all reassembled six days later for the burial.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »
    Heard a man in the bank say there were 20 odd dead bodies unburied due to the Bank Holiday, creating a backlog.

You were in a body bank? was it an open day or something?
  • Options
    sbuggsbugg Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to stir up trouble are we, abolish bank holidays and all that.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone else has said, it's because the deaths can't be registered. Of corpse there will be bit of a backlog.
    I saw what you did...even if others never ;)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my mum died the earliest funeral we could book was nearly two weeks later. That was in October so no bank holidays or a particularly busy time of year.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    :confused: They don't bury the dead 24/7 you know.

Give it time, those that want no bank holidays etc will want it like Tescos, 24/7/365 so people are standing outside saying goodbye to their loved ones by torchlight whilst freezing their balls off.

In fact I am sure some will want all burials switched to overnight eventually so no one need take any time off work, to help the economy of course.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of corpse there will be bit of a backlog.

Highly amusing. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It happened when my granddad died in January, there were so many holidays and deaths over the Christmas period that it was almost 2 weeks before we could get an autopsy and then a couple of days before we could get the death certificate. Was awful as we couldn't arrange much without the death certificate meaning that a couple of pension payments went in (he had more than one scheme) and we had to arrange for the money to be sent back :(