Options

Mock The Week - Series 11, BBC2 Thursdays 10pm (Merged)

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k03lm/Mock_the_Week_Series_11_Episode_1/
Dara O Briain and regulars Chris Addison, Hugh Dennis and Andy Parsons return for another series of topical mockery with guests Nathan Caton, Greg Davies and Micky Flanagan.

Comments

• Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taken a dive since Russell, and especially Frankie, left - the one that should have gone is Hugh Dennis.

Used to be unmissable - now I can take it or leave it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lets hope some of the new names and non-regualrs can breath some life into it.

New
    Gary Delany - Boyfriend of Sarah Millican. Seen his name on writing credits for shows but never seen him do standup. According to wiki he can be risque/offensive. Could be good.

Josh Widdecombe - Very good on Stand Up For The Week.

Marcus Brigstock - Hmmm. has been ok in the past but then got very preachy on some subjects.

Returning
    Jo Caulfield - Haven't seen anything from her since her last appearance on the show
    Zoe Lyons - Same as above
    Nathon Caton - Same as above

Carl Donnelly - Seen him do a few gigs. Can be good.
    Ava Vidal - Hit and miss on the subject matter for me.
    Miles Jupp - Like him doing standup and on panel shows such as HIGNFY and 8Oo10C

Regulars
    Greg Davies, Milton Jones, Ed Byrne, Steward Francis and Micky Flanagan
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still don't understand how they can record a topical show two days before broadcast rather than one day like HIGNFY or the News Quiz/Now Show. It means it's always more like 'Mock Last Week'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    I still don't understand how they can record a topical show two days before broadcast rather than one day like HIGNFY or the News Quiz/Now Show. It means it's always more like 'Mock Last Week'.
    I don't see how it makes a difference.
    I watch the extended version of HIGNFY on Monday and so that's 4 days after the recording. No problem with the topical content being a week old.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I can do without Micky Flannagan and Jo Caufield and Zoe Lyons. Ava is pretty, but her material is more like stories and take too long to get going. Can be hit and miss for me :)
    Pleased to see Stewart and Ed return though, and Carl Donnelly and Miles Jupp can be good :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Mock The Week, but I can't help but think that the guest list is becoming rather repetitive. Having said that, Greg Davies is awesome! I still miss Russell Howard though.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show would benefit more than any other for having an extended version. They tape for about three hours vs the hour that most of the other BBC panel shows record for and a looser, more near-the-knuckle cut would help restore some of the edgier reputation the show enjoyed when Frankie Boyle was reigning over it.

Saving it for one outtakes edition and their risible “Too Hot for TV” DVDs (Dara regularly takes the piss out of these) is a false economy but no surprise really from the short-sighted, cheapjack BBC we are lumbered with these days.
  • Options
    Jaly77Jaly77 Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    All depends on which comedians you like. Frankie suited the show, and I liked him. There are still plenty of good comedians that appear - I personally don't mind Hugh Dennis. Stuart Francis, Jo Caulfield, Greg Davies, and Miles Jupp are all consistently excellent.
    I know plenty on here like Russell Howard, but I personally couldn't stand his childish shouty delivery of his 'jokes', after which he'd look directly at the camera. Made me cringe!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss Frankis too. He was the dark horse of MTW. Yes, he was a very controversial character, but that's what made him brilliant. The Beeb freaked out and asked him to "tone it down". He walked, and rightly so.
  • Options
    VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this going to be HD this series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree MTW could do with a 45 min/1 hour show, just like HIGNFY does.
    IMO the 1st Too Hot for TV is the only one thats any good as that was specially made for DVD and the other ones aren't.
    Frankie was the dark heart of MTW I know, when he was on form he could be brilliant. :) Not as keen on Russell Howard, too childish for me though there are some funny ideas there, but he repeats the same stuff too often (he repeated the "I cant understand Adebayor" joke about 3 times in one episode FFS!)
  • Options
    OnDatKryptoniteOnDatKryptonite Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last two series have been subpar. Pack it in already.
    Ava is pretty, but her material is more like stories and take too long to get going. Can be hit and miss for me

They only book her because Gina Yashere went to America and if/when Andi Osho is unavailable.

Can't wait for yet another story about black parents beating their kids on public or acting ignorant and overentitled... that never gets tired after the millionth black comedian/comedienne tells it, not like Richard Pryor told those jokes back in the 70s, Eddie Murphy ripped it off in the early 80s and Lenny Henry trotted them out in the mid 80s... but here we are still hearing them because my God, they are so funny and each is unique and original.

Just kill the goddamn show already. Those with career options have them and those that don't don't deserve the showcase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hugh-Frankie dynamic worked really well as they bounced off each other nicely.

I was hoping they'd make David Mitchell a regular, taking over from Russell, but I don't think that'll ever happed for a number of reasons.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    I miss Frankis too. He was the dark horse of MTW. Yes, he was a very controversial character, but that's what made him brilliant. The Beeb freaked out and asked him to "tone it down". He walked, and rightly so.

Probably he was also using loads of stuff on there that he could put into a live show - and tour the country.

The old bugbear of comics appearing on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Probably he was also using loads of stuff on there that he could put into a live show - and tour the country.

The old bugbear of comics appearing on TV.

He left because he made a joke about Rebecca Adlington's nose and the Queen's haunted vagina. The BBC got up in arms and wanted him to apologise. He said it's a joke, I don't mean it, it's just to make people laugh so I won't apologise for making people laugh, that's my job as a comedian. They said apologise or go. So he went. Not because he wanted to conserve material for his live shows. He actually says on his second tour DVD he tries to get his live material onto Mock The Week but they always edit it out.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all - who's watching?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed most of it now so I'll watch it on iPlayer later.
  • Options
    lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Largely uncool thing to say, but I think Andy is actually the funniest (bar Dara) on it now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit, it didn't hold my attention tonight
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Largely uncool thing to say, but I think Andy is actually the funniest (bar Dara) on it now.

Never understood why Andy's always received so much flak - I've always thought him underrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Never understood why Andy's always received so much flak - I've always thought him underrated.

Agreed, Andy Parsons is hilarious! I think people just don't understand his style or the way he delivers the punchline, which is rather different to other comedians. I'd see him live if I ever got the chance.
  • Options
    sporter92sporter92 Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it and still always watch it. Yes it was better with Frankie & Russell on it but it still has its moments. Greg Davies was brilliant on it tonight and I was laughing so much at his Peter Andre impression and I do love Andy Parsons on it aswell, I don't know why people say they don't like him.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Chris Addison still labouring under the impression he's a comedian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not a fan of the "comedy accents" crap from Chris but this had its moments - Nathan was good in the stand up round (his story seemed rather Russel Howard like but with better delivery? ;) )
    Parsons' rant about Innocent Smoothies was hilarious :D Though if anyone pays £2.49 for a small bottle (200ml?) theyre in the wrong shop :p
    Overall Parsons and Greg Davies were very good but the first SWLTS in particular (Awards Ceremony) was really weak though :confused: They kept having to explain the jokes (Chris REAR, CLINGFILM etc) :o
    In SWLTS Nathan repeated/recycled Jack Whitehall's joke about the villains cat scratching/shitting on him.
    I hope it improves though. And why are there only 3 in the stand up round?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the last 3 series they have only had three in the stand up round. I think it is a budget issue which means they have less time in the studio space these days.

Chris Addison gets plaudits from critics even though I find him very hit and miss and his TV series Lab Rats was just barely above Hyperdrive in it's intentions to be funny while remaining unfunny and largely derivative.

I wonder why they have not made another series of Fast and Loose, the musical mime round on that as well as the stop the music/awkward things to overhear at a party round were very entertaining.